Is Religious Fundamentalism a "Mental Illness"?

Religion doesn't cause mental illness. Many schizophrenics are religiously delusional, but their religion didn't turn them to schizophrenics. Many of them also think they have super powers. So by your logic watching Spiderman would make them schizophrenic. Many schizophrenics are sexually occupied. Your logic would suggest that teaching them the facts of life makes them schizophrenic. I have had a couple for patients who insisted they could see germs with their naked eyes. So, I guess teaching them science made them schizophrenic.

Your thread is a colossal face palm.

I suggest that before you start such a stupid thread, you study the topic which you are attempting to discuss.

I don't think that is what is being suggested here at all. She isn't saying that religion causes mental illness. She is saying that extreme religious fundamentalism may be a symptom of a deeper, underlying psychosis or neuropathy And I believe that there may be evidence to support this position. What leads a devoutly religious person to commit a suicide attack on others? Why do groups of people commit mas suicide? These are vital questions that the world faces every day, and that demand scientific, social, and even political solutions.

Religion doesn't cause mental illness. Many schizophrenics are religiously delusional, but their religion didn't turn them to schizophrenics. Many of them also think they have super powers. So by your logic watching Spiderman would make them schizophrenic. Many schizophrenics are sexually occupied. Your logic would suggest that teaching them the facts of life makes them schizophrenic. I have had a couple for patients who insisted they could see germs with their naked eyes. So, I guess teaching them science made them schizophrenic.

Your thread is a colossal face palm.

I suggest that before you start such a stupid thread, you study the topic which you are attempting to discuss.
This is an excellent topic, which is being widely debated. No one said religion in and of itself caused mental illness. Your analogy is silly. It is religious obsession/brainwashing, etc. that is the mental disorder. I do not profess to know much about the subject. I thought it would make a good topic of discussion and I enjoy reading others opinions.

except you do not understand that mental disorder is ANY set of reactionary beliefs which does not allow the human being to think for themselves.

The classic example is leftist dimocrap dogmatic brainwashing and luddly as a perfect exemplary case of it :lol:

Erm, no. A mental disorder is a mental or bodily condition marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, and emotions to seriously impair the normal psychological functioning of the individual.

Clinging to imaginary sky fairies could be termed a mental illness but its fascinating that, throughout history, most cultures, most societies have shared the same delusion.

Rather than calling it a mental illness, maybe its more accurate to call it a flaw, a weakness, a way of dealing with fear.

In the US, as long as they stay in their place - "churches" - its relatively harmless. I would really like to see fundies like Westboro and other pedo/women/gay hate groups disguised as churches, refused tax free status though. Otherwise, I don't care if they speak in tongues, wear magic undies and play with serpents.

Psychosis is culturally based. I've seen plenty of psychotic atheists and muslims. Their psychosis just includes things not a part of Christianity.

perhaps you should learn to pray to that 'imaginary sky fairy.' Your life and your outlook on life could only improve if you did.

How Hitlerian of you. No doubt you have a "final solution" in mind.

Is that because you are too lazy to study it yourself? Because every single fundamentalists Jew I have ever met forgot more about the Torah than you will ever know.

Regurgitating Scripture is impressive at children's parties, but my studies are concerned more with understanding the origns of religions as a whole. If we don't understand who wrote them, when, and under what circumstances, the content means nothing.

There is an offence of original sin that separates God from man and without becoming born again, you can never have that relationship with God to fully understand Him.

The Bible was written for His children and unless people become His children by faith, His words won't fully make sense hecause they were written for His children.

Says Judeo-Christianity, and almost no other religion. By the way, I think the better conclusion is that the Bible was written by and for children (or at least, childish men - possibly to divert their minds from the fact that they lived in a desert with no air conditioning).

Clinging to imaginary sky fairies could be termed a mental illness but its fascinating that, throughout history, most cultures, most societies have shared the same delusion.

Rather than calling it a mental illness, maybe its more accurate to call it a flaw, a weakness, a way of dealing with fear.

In the US, as long as they stay in their place - "churches" - its relatively harmless. I would really like to see fundies like Westboro and other pedo/women/gay hate groups disguised as churches, refused tax free status though. Otherwise, I don't care if they speak in tongues, wear magic undies and play with serpents.

Psychosis is culturally based. I've seen plenty of psychotic atheists and muslims. Their psychosis just includes things not a part of Christianity.

perhaps you should learn to pray to that 'imaginary sky fairy.' Your life and your outlook on life could only improve if you did.
You realize that you are speaking to a chimpanzee that lacks the imagination to conceive of a Deity, let alone consider praying to one. They only know 'self' and the argument in this thread, like all such arguments, are internalized justifications for 'self absorption' freeing them of the responsibility of having to give thought that there is something bigger than they are.

To be clear, you are saying that expressing a concern for the wellbeing of others is a symptom of "self-absorption". :cuckoo:

Yes let's focus on nuts who also claim to be religious- OK so far, but what about all the other millions of nuts who don't claim to be religious?

I've known plenty of professing Christians who definitely struggle with depression- yet what gets them through that depression is often their faith. Their depression or malaise is no different than the unbeliever excepting their faith which gives them comfort and strength-

This whole line of study is obviously full of its own bias. Hmmmm could it be that the author isn't religious?

And if that's what gets you through your day, fine. But when you start building car bombs, strapping hand grenades to your body, or literally drinking cyanide-laced kool aid, I think it is fair to say that that there are seriously disturbing psychological issues involved.

Pope Francis Takes Aim At Ideologically Obsessed Christians, Says They Have Illness (VIDEO)

“In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid. And when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus, he is a disciple of this attitude of thought… For this reason Jesus said to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge.’ The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these close the door with many requirements. The faith becomes ideology and ideology frightens, ideology chases away the people, distances, distances the people and distances of the Church of the people. But it is a serious illness, this Christian ideology.”

Pope Francis Says Right-Wing Christians Have An Illness

The Pope has an illness. It is called False Prophetitis. And it is anti Christ, anti God and anti God's people, pro Satan, pro one world gov. and pro anti-christ uni-church. He and Peter are at the opposite ends of God's design for His children.

Let me know when our universities cure God............ :eusa_angel:

And it will probably be someone with that very thought process who will attempt to assassinate him. Should we be worried about your intentions?

It looks to me like Irish Ram got the better of you in this discussion and you're not adapting well to defeat, Orgenicman. Perhaps you could skip the dramatic exit next time? I'm sure the pope will live a nice long full life. Thanks. - Jeri

It looks to me like Irish Ram got the better of you in this discussion and you're not adapting well to defeat, Orgenicman. Perhaps you could skip the dramatic exit next time? I'm sure the pope will live a nice long full life. Thanks. - Jeri

Really? Because she responded to someone else, and I responded to her response. There wasn't actually a discussion between us, in case you missed that point.

A direct discussion was not necessary. If that is all you've got you've got nothing.

In the meantime, check out Richard Wurmbrands' book Marx & Satan and you'll find that Karl Marx was a mentally disturbed man - severely - cursing his own works as swine even - others described him as a demon - demon posessed - his children commited suicide, one convinced their spouse to join them, he didn't attend his own wifes funeral, lived off of Engels because he couldn't function to hold a job - written letters by him rejoicing over the death of an uncle so that he can collect an inheritance from him.. Did satanism do him any good? According to his own son and wife? Not in the least. It turned him into a mental case.

Note* In the future try not to vindicate yourself. It's a sure sign of weakness.

Last edited:
Is Religious Fundamentalism a “Mental Illness” to Be Cured?

Religious fundamentalism is a mental illness that will someday be curable by science, a leading University of Oxford neurologist recently argued. Future advances in neuroscience, as well as research tools currently under development, may go a long way to combating beliefs which lead to harmful practices such as child abuse. For those who become ordained ministers in the Universal Life Church it is a question that deserves serious contemplation: how does religious extremism hurt us, and how can science help?

Dr. Kathleen Taylor made the suggestion at the Hay Literary Festival in Wales (once described by former U.S. president Bill Clinton as the “Woodstock of the Mind” for its celebration of intellectual diversity). “One of the surprises may be to see people with certain beliefs as people who can be treated,” she said, and somebody “who has for example become radicalized [into] a cult ideology—we might stop seeing that as a personal choice…as a result of pure free will and may start treating it as some kind of mental disturbance”. Taylor pointed out that treating fundamentalism as a mental illness does not apply only to radical Islam, but also to more obscure extremist cults as well as the belief that it is OK to beat children as a disciplinary measure. This new approach could be highly beneficial, she argued, “because there are no doubt beliefs in our society that do a heck of a lot of damage, that really do a lot of harm”.

Taylor’s ideas are not without precedence—other researchers have also suggested a link between religious extremism and mental illness. Religious conversions may be significantly correlated with a developing psychotic mental illness, according to Dr. Dinesh Bhugra, former president of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. In a paper entitled Self-concept: Psychosis and attraction of new religious movements, Bhugra draws attention to research from several different studies showing that religious converts are more likely to exhibit first onset psychosis. (Importantly, Bhugra’s study does not necessarily peg religious belief in general as being correlated with mental illness.)

But what kind of reception should these ideas get from us as Universal Life Church ministers, and are they compatible with our beliefs? At first glance, treating religious fundamentalism as a mental illness may seem unusual, but in some ways it corresponds with our values. The ULC Monastery teaches its ministers to value science is a tool for understanding nature, and it also admonishes its ministers against the harm of extreme, unwavering religious dogma, so it seems appropriate for us to approach religious fundamentalism through the critical lens of scientific inquiry.

Obviously many religious people are good people, but many religious extremists are dangerous. Treating religious fundamentalism as a mental illness can be viewed as an attack on religion, or it can be viewed as an attempt to shine a light on more predatory or malevolent belief systems, offering tools for diagnosis and treatment. As interfaith ministers a part of whose mission is to cultivate religious solidarity, perhaps we can find a way to treat the symptoms of unwavering dogmatism while nurturing the core values of spiritual curiosity.

Is Religious Fundamentalism a ?Mental Illness? to Be Cured? - Universal Life Church Monastery Blog

Watch the video below

Kathleen Taylor, Neuroscientist, Says Religious Fundamentalism Could Be Treated As A Mental Illness

I think communism targeting the religious freedoms of Americans is far more dangerous. Communists use the propaganda that those who believe in God are mentally ill. Why haven't you given that subject any attention, Pacer?

I think communism targeting the religious freedoms of Americans is far more dangerous. Communists use the propaganda that those who believe in God are mentally ill. Why haven't you given that subject any attention, Pacer?
Because you are making up BS as you go along. Start a new thread. :)

Christian communism is a form of religious communism based on Christianity. It is a theological and political theory based upon the view that the teachings of Jesus Christ compel Christians to support communism as the ideal social system. (Wikipedia)

You realize that you are speaking to a chimpanzee that lacks the imagination to conceive of a Deity, let alone consider praying to one. They only know 'self' and the argument in this thread, like all such arguments, are internalized justifications for 'self absorption' freeing them of the responsibility of having to give thought that there is something bigger than they are.
false! made up gods controlling everything is proof of an immature imagination...
the justification and rationalization are far more Evident in believers than non believers.
the greater than your self argument is meaningless...
Lets examine your premise.

A monkey picking fleas from its mate has little concept or imagination to consider a Deity.

Humans have no such problem.

A direct discussion was not necessary. If that is all you've got you've got nothing.

In the meantime, check out Richard Wurmbrands' book Marx & Satan and you'll find that Karl Marx was a mentally disturbed man - severely - cursing his own works as swine even - others described him as a demon - demon posessed - his children commited suicide, one convinced their spouse to join them, he didn't attend his own wifes funeral, lived off of Engels because he couldn't function to hold a job - written letters by him rejoicing over the death of an uncle so that he can collect an inheritance from him.. Did satanism do him any good? According to his own son and wife? Not in the least. It turned him into a mental case.

Note* In the future try not to vindicate yourself. It's a sure sign of weakness.

In the future, try a different user name than that of a bullfrog.

false! made up gods controlling everything is proof of an immature imagination...
the justification and rationalization are far more Evident in believers than non believers.

A monkey picking fleas from its mate has little concept or imagination to consider a Deity.

And yet one could argue that the human belief in deity is based on an ancient primate fear of angry alpha males.

This is an excellent topic, which is being widely debated. No one said religion in and of itself caused mental illness. Your analogy is silly. It is religious obsession/brainwashing, etc. that is the mental disorder. I do not profess to know much about the subject. I thought it would make a good topic of discussion and I enjoy reading others opinions.

except you do not understand that mental disorder is ANY set of reactionary beliefs which does not allow the human being to think for themselves.

The classic example is leftist dimocrap dogmatic brainwashing and luddly as a perfect exemplary case of it :lol:

Erm, no. A mental disorder is a mental or bodily condition marked primarily by sufficient disorganization of personality, mind, and emotions to seriously impair the normal psychological functioning of the individual.
vox's answer is a perfect example of religion based mental disorder..
thinking for yourself and religious belief are direct opposites.

lets examine you retort
you have absolute no evidence to support what a monkey does or is capable of conceiving or imagining.
second your argument is based on two false premises 1. that there is a deity.
2.that said deity made "us" separate and superior to all other life.
both premises are pretentious and unprovable..

thanks for playing!

Forum List

Back