Is Respect Something That Is Earned.....

What is your approach to the concept of respect when meeting someone?

• Total voters
It should be earned but some base it on whether they agree with an issue or like someone's hair color.

or is respect something that is a given?

Please be honest.
Let's see.

Everyone is entitled to some respect as members of a civil society.

For example, one doesn't let the door fly in another's face, or rush into an elevator before people can get out.

That sort of respect is due, but, was earned by our ancestors who defined basic decency.

On a personal basis, respect has to be earned.

I owe no respect to say, a bunch of white trash punks in a parking lot, all draped in garb that desecrates Confederate flags, methed out, drunk and listening Eminem.

Faced with that, I put on my "You better respect the fuck out of me aura".

So yes, respect has to be earned, nobody is entitled to it, even if it has to be a matter of respecting superior firepower or recognizing some people really do not give a fuck if another person thinks he is entitled to respect.

Please be honest.
Let's see.

For example, one doesn't let the door fly in another's face, or rush into an elevator before people can get out.

That sort of respect is due, but, was earned by our ancestors who defined basic decency.

I owe no respect to say, a bunch of white trash punks in a parking lot, all draped in garb that desecrates Confederate flags, methed out, drunk and listening Eminem.

So yes, respect has to be earned, nobody is entitled to it, even if it has to be a matter of respecting superior firepower or recognizing some people really do not give a fuck if another person thinks he is entitled to respect.

Your example about the door sounds more like courtesy not respect.

I feel it must be earned.

You cannot take it, steal it, or demand it.

By showing respect to others, even people you disagree with, chances are they will in turn show you respect as well. Because.... they'll remember you and how you treated them.

It must be earned.
What are your reasons for that stance?
Common sense. Many people who demand respect have proven that they do not deserve it. Just giving respect when it is not earned is not respect. You should act civil towards people until they show reason for you not to, but true respect is earned.
I'm not talking about people demanding it. I'm talking about your approach to it. The other persons feelings are irrelevant.

I feel it must be earned.

You cannot take it, steal it, or demand it.

By showing respect to others, even people you disagree with, chances are they will in turn show you respect as well. Because.... they'll remember you and how you treated them.
It sounds like you are saying the opposite of your first sentence. "If you show respect others will in turn show respect." That ideology sounds more like the first option in that for you its a given in how you approach people.

Hm... I see your point.

Maybe it's more of both?

By giving respect, you also tend to earn it.

Whatever the case, good topic. :)

with me, respect is afforded to all unless and until disrespect is earned...

Please be honest.
Let's see.

Your example about the door sounds more like courtesy not respect.
Your reply sounds like quibbling.

No, women understand love better than men. They will do things out of love that passes for respect. These are of course generalizations.

I think it depends, when I was in the Military we always had to respect the rank of higher ranking officers, even if we didn't particularly care for the person. In organized structure like that we had to respect the rank, otherwise the system would never work so in that case it was given. I think around other co workers, people in your daily life etc it has to be earned.

I think it depends, when I was in the Military we always had to respect the rank of higher ranking officers, even if we didn't particularly care for the person. In organized structure like that we had to respect the rank, otherwise the system would never work so in that case it was given. I think around other co workers, people in your daily life etc it has to be earned.
Wouldnt that be based on fear of penalty? Did you respect them so the system could work or because you would get in trouble?

Wouldnt that be based on fear of penalty? Did you respect them so the system could work or because you would get in trouble?

Actually, both.

Forum List

Back