Is Respect Something That Is Earned.....

What is your approach to the concept of respect when meeting someone?

• Total voters
I
It must be earned.
What are your reasons for that stance?
Common sense. Many people who demand respect have proven that they do not deserve it. Just giving respect when it is not earned is not respect. You should act civil towards people until they show reason for you not to, but true respect is earned.
I'm not talking about people demanding it. I'm talking about your approach to it. The other persons feelings are irrelevant.
believe that I told you my approach to it. What else do you want to know?
Are you saying you wait until the person earns respect or you assume people are worthy of respect before getting to know them?

It must be earned.

Because it has absolutely no value if it isn't genuine and earned.

You cannot demand someone to actually respect another ... You can only desire respect and do what is necessary to earn it.

Honor and Respect are gifts you give yourself.
Common Decency should not be misconstrued as being Respect.

Last edited:
I
It must be earned.
Common sense. Many people who demand respect have proven that they do not deserve it. Just giving respect when it is not earned is not respect. You should act civil towards people until they show reason for you not to, but true respect is earned.
I'm not talking about people demanding it. I'm talking about your approach to it. The other persons feelings are irrelevant.
Are you saying you wait until the person earns respect or you assume people are worthy of respect before getting to know them?
I extend courtesy to everyone I meet.

Later, we can earn each other's respect.

They are not the same thing.

I

I never said anything about courtesy so your response is puzzling. Whats more puzzling is I was asking NoNukes.

I

I never said anything about courtesy so your response is puzzling. Whats more puzzling is I was asking NoNukes.
Look, I am in and out, read parts of threads, post where and what I like.

It seemed to me the discussion confused courtesy and respect.

I commented.

Report me if you think I hijacked your thread.

You remind be of brain addled assholes with their pants around their knees that demand "respect".

We call them wiggers here.

I

I commented.

You remind be of brain addled assholes with their pants around their knees that demand "respect".

Dont get upset because you admittedly answered something not intended for you and interjected something I never said. I dont feel you hijacked the thread. I asked you whats up because your response didnt make any sense.

I think it is given, even to those who haven't earned it. I fail in this often.

To have earned it is a success of character, but not universally accepted.

I

I commented.

Dont get upset because you admittedly answered something not intended for you and interjected something I never said. I dont feel you hijacked the thread. I asked you whats up because your response didnt make any sense.
I was replying in the context of the whole thread, where, it seems to me, from the beginning, courtesy and respect have been used interchangeably.

And really, don't project your upset life on me.

I commented.

I was replying in the context of the whole thread, where, it seems to me, from the beginning, courtesy and respect have been used interchangeably.

And really, don't project your upset life on me.
You never alerted anyone you were replying to the context of the whole thread. You quoted a conversation between NoNukes and myself and proceeded to reply as if answering my question to NoNukes. Yes you are upset. Your response is all out of context to the tone of the thread.

I have gotten pretty good at this and it takes much practice. IMO most people are not geared this way. I envy the people I meet in life that are naturally geared to give people respect no matter what. I am even more impressed when they are able to continue giving that respect after the person clearly no longer deserves it. If everyone had this approach it would do much to bring about world peace on its own.

I
It must be earned.
I would only assume it if there was reason to do so.

I have gotten pretty good at this and it takes much practice. IMO most people are not geared this way. I envy the people I meet in life that are naturally geared to give people respect no matter what. I am even more impressed when they are able to continue giving that respect after the person clearly no longer deserves it. If everyone had this approach it would do much to bring about world peace on its own.
Then respect would mean little.

I would think it actually means much more. When you show people they are respected regardless of their faults I find they unconsciously look to you for guidance on becoming a better person themselves. Why do you think respect would mean very little in such a situation?

I would think it actually means much more. When you show people they are respected regardless of their faults I find they unconsciously look to you for guidance on becoming a better person themselves. Why do you think respect would mean very little in such a situation?
To respect a despicable person cheapens what respect is meant to be.

Then again, who said to give respect to a despicable person?

Do you believe everyone is despicable? Everyone has faults.

Did I say that everyone is despicable?

Try to keep up. It would help if you read the posts.

Try to keep up. It would help if you read the posts.
With all due respect...why be an ass?

Never mind. We know ;)

Did I say that everyone is despicable?
No you didnt. I asked you for clarification because you brought up the word "despicable" when I said nothing about it. My term was "faults". I didnt want to assume what you meant. So do you think that everyone is despicable since everyone has faults? Does that make sense?

Forum List

Back