🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is Respect Something That Is Earned.....

What is your approach to the concept of respect when meeting someone?

• Total voters
I think it depends, when I was in the Military we always had to respect the rank of higher ranking officers, even if we didn't particularly care for the person. In organized structure like that we had to respect the rank, otherwise the system would never work so in that case it was given. I think around other co workers, people in your daily life etc it has to be earned.
Wouldnt that be based on fear of penalty? Did you respect them so the system could work or because you would get in trouble?

Actually, both.
Yeah there were some higher ranks I had a complete disregard for but did what they said so I could avoid losing money. Others I had respect for because they showed respect for themselves and others.

I think it depends, when I was in the Military we always had to respect the rank of higher ranking officers, even if we didn't particularly care for the person. In organized structure like that we had to respect the rank, otherwise the system would never work so in that case it was given. I think around other co workers, people in your daily life etc it has to be earned.
Wouldnt that be based on fear of penalty? Did you respect them so the system could work or because you would get in trouble?

Actually, both.
Yeah there were some higher ranks I had a complete disregard for but did what they said so I could avoid losing money. Others I had respect for because they showed respect for themselves and others.

Same here, I met alot of interesting people in my service some good some bad.

One of the highest forms of disrespect is to deceive people.

Respect is most definitely earned and never given.

or is respect something that is a given?

Please be honest.

It should be given without anything having been earned. The reason we should respect others, imo, is that every human being ever born was created in the image of God. That is a very awesome thing - to realize that the individual you are meeting was created in the image of God Almighty. There is no greater reason to treat that person with respect than for that reason alone.

God allows free will, which can mean people are evil and not worthy of respect.

Hm... I see your point.

Maybe it's more of both?

By giving respect, you also tend to earn it.

Whatever the case, good topic. :)

I have never seen anyone show respect to another individual and the person complain - you are respecting me too much! I believe if you are sincere in your respect towards others? They are going to respect you even if they disagree with what you believe or do not prefer your company.
Still, that is not the reason we should respect others. We should respect others because we are addressing someone created in God's own image.
I appreciate this discussion.

Me too.

God allows free will, which can mean people are evil and not worthy of respect.

There is no such thing as a person not worthy of respect. How can you win someone to Christ if you do not treat them with respect? Is God's arm too short to reach the most vile sinner? No. But we shall never be able to do it unless we treat that person with respect and compassion. It is just impossible to do otherwise. It would be like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

Do you know that when a Christian couple - the Burnhams' who were missionaries, were kidnapped and held hostage for many months by the Islamic terrorists in the Philippines that Martin Burnham, after they chained him to the tree thanked his captors each day and treated them with the greatest of respect? Do you know that even though he died - his story will continue to be told and live on?

Both answers are correct. As children we are taught to respect others. Basic respect for others goes along with being polite and showing good manners. You will not hold this respect unless you give some in return. So in this way, we should all respect each other. But that respect can be lost as well. And once lost, it has to be earned again in order to get it back. This is why the second question is also correct.

I think that you show respect from first meeting but that just might be showing common courtesy to a fellow human being .

I feel it must be earned.

You cannot take it, steal it, or demand it.

By showing respect to others, even people you disagree with, chances are they will in turn show you respect as well. Because.... they'll remember you and how you treated them.
Amen to all of this. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Please be honest.

Please be honest.

Respect is earned by the respect given. Elders use to be the knowledge holders and abused "respect". Today, people can just search things on the internet. This isn't 1900.

Funny thing is this should be a Christianity thread. Ironically, the ones that fail to do this are.......

Please be honest.
Let's see.

Everyone is entitled to some respect as members of a civil society.

For example, one doesn't let the door fly in another's face, or rush into an elevator before people can get out.

That sort of respect is due, but, was earned by our ancestors who defined basic decency.

On a personal basis, respect has to be earned.

I owe no respect to say, a bunch of white trash punks in a parking lot, all draped in garb that desecrates Confederate flags, methed out, drunk and listening Eminem.

Faced with that, I put on my "You better respect the fuck out of me aura".

So yes, respect has to be earned, nobody is entitled to it, even if it has to be a matter of respecting superior firepower or recognizing some people really do not give a fuck if another person thinks he is entitled to respect.

You confuse social etiquette with respect. Holding the door is NOT respecting you; it is common social etiquette.

Respect MUST be earned.

But, as I'm sure you remember, you didn't RESPECT the Colonel ... you acknowledge his rank, and the power therein. The Colonel, as a man and as a leader, had to earn your respect.

For some officers, you would have run thru a wall. For others, you wouldn't have walked across the street. The difference is respect.

I
It must be earned.
What are your reasons for that stance?
Common sense. Many people who demand respect have proven that they do not deserve it. Just giving respect when it is not earned is not respect. You should act civil towards people until they show reason for you not to, but true respect is earned.
I'm not talking about people demanding it. I'm talking about your approach to it. The other persons feelings are irrelevant.
believe that I told you my approach to it. What else do you want to know?

Please be honest.

Please be honest.

Respect is earned by the respect given. Elders use to be the knowledge holders and abused "respect". Today, people can just search things on the internet. This isn't 1900.

Funny thing is this should be a Christianity thread. Ironically, the ones that fail to do this are.......
I'm asking what is your approach to respect when meeting someone. Are you saying that you hold your respect until its earned?

Forum List

Back