Is Respect Something That Is Earned.....

What is your approach to the concept of respect when meeting someone?

• Total voters
I think it is given, even to those who haven't earned it. I fail in this often.

To have earned it is a success of character, but not universally accepted.
I have gotten pretty good at this and it takes much practice. IMO most people are not geared this way. I envy the people I meet in life that are naturally geared to give people respect no matter what. I am even more impressed when they are able to continue giving that respect after the person clearly no longer deserves it. If everyone had this approach it would do much to bring about world peace on its own.
Then respect would mean little.
I would think it actually means much more. When you show people they are respected regardless of their faults I find they unconsciously look to you for guidance on becoming a better person themselves. Why do you think respect would mean very little in such a situation?
I get what you are saying here. I have actually had this happen to me. I continued being good to someone and their attitude towards me did eventually change. Sadly though not everyone has the ability to see the error of their ways. Therefore even if you do continue to be good to certain people, what you get from them is not going to change and "Why not?" would be the one million dollar question.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back