Is Saudi Arabia Heading East? – OpEd

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
It will be interesting to see in the future how far East the Saudis have turned to, or will they actually still consider themselves mainly friends of America (regardless of their differences now) while at the same time taking advantage of the economic benefits the East will give them.

February 12, 2014 Arab News

By Arab News

By Mohammed Fahad Al-Harthi

With major political changes sweeping the Middle East and the balance of power shifting, there has been a raging debate lately about Saudi-American differences, particularly the Kingdom’s dissatisfaction with the US administration’s position on sensitive issues that have far-reaching consequences for the region.

The planned visit by US President Barack Obama to these shores at the end of March indicates that relations between the two countries need reinforcement.

Washington is clearly aware of Riyadh’s disappointment at America’s lack of interest and unclear vision in the Middle East. The pending issues, which show the divide in thinking between the countries, include the United States’ failure to resolve the Syrian crisis.

Continue reading at:

Is Saudi Arabia Heading East? - OpEd Eurasia Review

It will be interesting to see in the future how far East the Saudis have turned to, or will they actually still consider themselves mainly friends of America (regardless of their differences now) while at the same time taking advantage of the economic benefits the East will give them.

By Arab News

With major political changes sweeping the Middle East and the balance of power shifting, there has been a raging debate lately about Saudi-American differences, particularly the Kingdom’s dissatisfaction with the US administration’s position on sensitive issues that have far-reaching consequences for the region.

The planned visit by US President Barack Obama to these shores at the end of March indicates that relations between the two countries need reinforcement.

Washington is clearly aware of Riyadh’s disappointment at America’s lack of interest and unclear vision in the Middle East. The pending issues, which show the divide in thinking between the countries, include the United States’ failure to resolve the Syrian crisis.

Continue reading at:

IMO... the Saudis have been turning east for about a decade.

By Arab News

Continue reading at:

With the Obama regime in power the Saudis, and most US allies know they're on their own.

By Arab News

Continue reading at:

With the Obama regime in power the Saudis, and most US allies know they're on their own.

They are selling more oil to China..

By Arab News

Continue reading at:

I think that the issue for the Saudis is and has always been ---that which is convenient
for the Saudi royal family. Saudi arabia faces an important problem---it cannot feed its
own populaton on its own . It needs food producing friends

By Arab News

Continue reading at:

They are selling more oil to China..

Not surprising...China is represents a huge economy now, and the Saudi's have always been pragmatic.

By Arab News

Continue reading at:

I think that the issue for the Saudis is and has always been ---that which is convenient
for the Saudi royal family. Saudi arabia faces an important problem---it cannot feed its

KSA leased 2 million acres in East Africa.. There is a lot of farming in Taif and south towards Asir. The have a lot of fish farming and prawn farming.. enough for export... They have the world's largest dairy farms. The have a thriving olive production in the north.... They have poultry farms.. They raise camels, goats and sheep.

KSA leased 2 million acres in East Africa.. There is a lot of farming in Taif and south towards Asir. The have a lot of fish farming and prawn farming.. enough for export... They have the world's largest dairy farms. The have a thriving olive production in the north.... They have poultry farms.. They raise camels, goats and sheep.

"Leasing" is not OWNING------Saudi arabia is not food self sufficient-----In a wide
spread war (the kind I predict) -----not being able to feed ones own population
can be critical (I am a bit worried about how little effort the USA is expending
in agriculture-----but I do believe that the USA can meet the challenge)

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

"Leasing" is not OWNING------Saudi arabia is not food self sufficient-----In a wide
can be critical (I am a bit worried about how little effort the USA is expending

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

No Taif is in the Meccan province.

They grow the most beautiful produce and herbs.......

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

oh now that I think of it-----I am probably thinking of a place called
TAIZ which I think is a port city in Yemen. Who grows beautiful produce and
herbs? Hindus? Not only does saudi arabia depend in imported food---
it depends on imported slave labor for both the muscle work AND the brain work.
Saudi arabia is very vulnerable. I do not believe that the present "royal family" --
will last all that long and when push comes to shove-------lots of them will grab
what they can and shove off (ie RUN!!!!)

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

Saudi arabia is very vulnerable. I do not believe that the present "royal family" --
will last all that long and when push comes to shove-------lots of them will grab

The SAG has years of experience and training.. and they have done an outstanding job over the past 90 years. Hopefully I am going back for a visit in 2015.

The SAG has years of experience and training.. and they have done an outstanding job over the past 90 years. Hopefully I am going back for a visit in 2015.

aaahhhh yes an ACQUIRED TASTE --------they have certainly managed to
SOLIDIFY CONTROL over the population ------and their own vast wealth

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

I hear the govt. has been buying emergency food items in mass bulk for sometime but it is better for the American people to be self sufficient when it comes to growing food or getting emergency plans to get to somewhere they know food is growing. We haven't had a wide spread war on our own soil and we are not prepared for it. Individually some americans are but for the most part I don't think so. We can certainly meet the challenge because Americans are known for pulling together during difficult times. We just need to have a plan.

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

I hear the govt. has been buying emergency food items in mass bulk for sometime but it is better for the American people to be self sufficient when it comes to growing food or getting emergency plans to get to somewhere they know food is growing. We haven't had a wide spread war on our own soil and we are not prepared for it. Individually some americans are but for the most part I don't think so. We can certainly meet the challenge because Americans are known for pulling together during difficult times. We just need to have a plan.

we have fertile land---(not me ---I live in the city----I got a flower pot on the roof)---
-----even in cities there are lots of EMPTY PLACES We have lots of areas with
excellent climate for growing (I once lived in a place where tomatoes and corn
grew like weeds-----and peaches and apple trees------but I think that the real
FOOD thing is grains and lentils and beans)

There are storage places with medications, water and emergency food----
in the USA----in case of disaster----FOLLOW DIRECTIONS Home land security
has them ALL OVER THE PLACE ----people have to stay calm and compliant
(sorry----I could not think of a better word)

You need more than proteins to live as any medic will tell you. And two million acres of cattle ranch is not enough to feed the Saudi royal family. You need 10 acres for every head of cattle, plus other sources of food when the weather is bad. Just look at the amount of land given over to grain in the USA and Russia and they are struggling to meet world demand between them.

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

I hear the govt. has been buying emergency food items in mass bulk for sometime but it is better for the American people to be self sufficient when it comes to growing food or getting emergency plans to get to somewhere they know food is growing.

We haven't had a wide spread war on our own soil and we are not prepared for it. Individually some americans are but for the most part I don't think so. We can certainly meet the challenge because Americans are known for pulling together during difficult times. We just need to have a plan.

LOLOLOL.. Where did you hear such a stupid thing? Is there yet another conspiracy site?

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

No it is an arid mountainous area in Saudi Arabia not far from mecca. No agriculture of any description to be seen on google earth

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

Do they really, then how come there is no green showing on google earth ? or in the pictures

1.jpg

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

No it is an arid mountainous area in Saudi Arabia not far from mecca. No agriculture of any description to be seen on google earth

Taif, the rose capital of the Kingdom | Arab News ? Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Taif is very green and they produce not only roses but a great deal of produce... Okra, onions etc.. You have never been there... so don't be an idiot.

taif-roses1.jpg

Taif | Country Garden Roses Blog

Taif? isn't that Yemen?

Taif, the rose capital of the Kingdom | Arab News ? Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Taif is very green and they produce not only roses but a great deal of produce... Okra, onions etc.. You have never been there... so don't be an idiot.

taif-roses1.jpg

Taif | Country Garden Roses Blog

that's nice-----okra and onions and roses are actually not even close as stuff
useful in times of stress to FEED A POPULATION-----------they need grains,
and legumes------ stuff that can be stored in massive amounts

oats is a terrific crop for feeding people-----I have no idea if it is
economical to grow it, I doubt they can grow rice

Forum List

Back