Is social media silencing the opposition the same as

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
a bakery discriminating?
To be fair and have actual equality, we need to make every type of thinking, branding, thought process, want, need or curiosity, to be a "protected class"
Its only fair, right you fake ass equality junkies?
As you know, i believe a business should be able to discriminate for whatever reason. Its THEIR private property.. but to be a proper utopian model, we need to be more inclusive ;)
Tell your state to make EVERYONE a protected class. Its the regressive thing to do.

The lack of consistency on certain types of enforcement is troubling.

But, I am with you. Let Facebook censer the fuck out of all non-communist messages (to their own capitalist detriment). Let bakeries deny anyone. In this day and age, there will always be an alternative and the market will bear it out.

The lack of consistency on certain types of enforcement is troubling.

But, I am with you. Let Facebook censer the fuck out of all non-communist messages (to their own capitalist detriment). Let bakeries deny anyone. In this day and age, there will always be an alternative and the market will bear it out.
Just let businesses be who they want and STFU about it.
Both sides rattle off so many inconsistencies, they make it easy to laugh at them.

Both sides rattle off so many inconsistencies, they make it easy to laugh at them.
It's much easier to monitor that way. Making everyone "behave" is way too expensive and still fails to achieve the desired effect--equality.

It's much easier to monitor that way. Making everyone "behave" is way too expensive and still fails to achieve the desired effect--equality.
People only want THEIR type of equality. ACTUAL equality will never happen, and its bigly sad.
Maybe people are just scared? idk

a bakery discriminating?
To be fair and have actual equality, we need to make every type of thinking, branding, thought process, want, need or curiosity, to be a "protected class"
As you know, i believe a business should be able to discriminate for whatever reason. Its THEIR private property.. but to be a proper utopian model, we need to be more inclusive ;)
Tell your state to make EVERYONE a protected class. Its the regressive thing to do.

It's like this, if you are a Progressive you have rights.

If you are a conservative then you are a racist thug who has no rights.

Business should be concerned with business.

Capture the consumers you want and that provide for the business you want to conduct.
Manage your employees to your standards, and set your standards high.

Whatever government can come up with to redirect your concerns as a business owner ... Can always be circumvented with adaptation and innovation.
Let the politicians and pundits piss in the wind ... Let the sheep believe they are protected.

It's your business ... And they didn't build shit.

• Thanks
Reactions: mdk
a bakery discriminating?
Only sexual perverts are a protected class. Straight people who believe in Jesus are a targeted class.

a bakery discriminating?
That's really the question. Free speech and private actors ability to self-sensor their own modes of communication. Before the internet, we just took it for granted than newspapers and electronic news could choose which citizens' op eds they chose to publish. Now businesses exist to publish citizens' op eds. And we have foreign entities using fake citizens to send op eds to be published to citiens specifically identified to "like" the op ed.

I don't think the baker thing is an analogy. No one is silencing the bakers. They can put up a sign "we don't like gays." They can do that legally. What they are being punished for is "commerce" or refusing to enter into a contract. That may be wrong, but it's not about speech.

I don't think the baker thing is an analogy. No one is silencing the bakers. They can put up a sign "we don't like gays." They can do that legally. What they are being punished for is "commerce" or refusing to enter into a contract. That may be wrong, but it's not about speech
It is about liberty.

Facebook should be at liberty to silence any view they want. Bakers should be at liberty to contract, or NOT contract, with whomever they choose.

Foreign enemies used social media to deal a major blow to the nation. Preventing that in the future is not “silencing opposition.”
It is silencing opposition, just not the opposition it usually silences.

We're not saying it's wrong. We're just saying that such liberty to conduct business as the owner sees fit should be universal.

I don't think the baker thing is an analogy. No one is silencing the bakers. They can put up a sign "we don't like gays." They can do that legally. What they are being punished for is "commerce" or refusing to enter into a contract. That may be wrong, but it's not about speech
It is about liberty.

Facebook should be at liberty to silence any view they want. Bakers should be at liberty to contract, or NOT contract, with whomever they choose.
The first amendment and free speech are not analogous to contract. I'm NOT saying that punishing bakers for refusing to contract should be legal. I don't, but that's not the issue, imo.

Rather the issue is the state may NOT have a law preventing the baker (or gay) from exercising free speech, unless it basically amounts to an incitement to violence. That's what Grandpa is incapable of grasping.

OldSchool identifies the problem. When fake actors (and even foreign govts) pose as citizens to disseminate false and intentionally misleading facts .... where does free speech end?

a bakery discriminating?

I have been saying for a while now that what the left is doing, instead of being the "big tent" party...it has become a party of a series of "little tents". Where everyone wants their own little special place for their differences, whatever that may be.
And in that little tent, no one is allowed to disagree IN THE SLIGHTEST with what the groupthink is at the moment. If you do - you are a hater.

It is about liberty.

The first amendment and free speech are not analogous to contract. I'm NOT saying that punishing bakers for refusing to contract should be legal. I don't, but that's not the issue, imo.

Rather the issue is the state may NOT have a law preventing the baker (or gay) from exercising free speech, unless it basically amounts to an incitement to violence. That's what Grandpa is incapable of grasping.

OldSchool identifies the problem. When fake actors (and even foreign govts) pose as citizens to disseminate false and intentionally misleading facts .... where does free speech end?
Does that not apply to american media outlets too? Or is manipulating the retarded public only a problem when putin is trying to get us at our throats?

a bakery discriminating?
Taking a stand for decency and morality and basic equality is not "fake ass."

a bakery discriminating?
Taking a stand for decency and morality and basic equality is not "fake ass."
"basic equality" what does that even mean? There is NO equality when we have "protected class" and other forms of institutional discrimination.
Trying to get "morality" legislated is why we had so much discrimination from our govt in the first place.

It's not a free speech issue. Private businesses can restrict free speech. The only guarantee is that government will not do so.

And regardless, the remedy to false or misleading speech is not more restriction. It's more free speech. Let the opposition respond.

Forum List

Back