Debate Now Is "Structured Debate" another Euphemism for Censorship?

The SDZ will become nothing more than a trolling and spamming forum for the OP.

Remember the religious guy who got banned?

SDZ will become a vacation spot for religious and anti-religious zealots, StormFront freaks, and so forth.

Well, the good news about that is if they nest here, they can do less damage elsewhere.

But then again, their presence cheapens everything. CK needs to decide if he wants this to be a board with some gravitas, or not, imo.

Letting stormfronters masturbate in writing hardly makes for a serious forum.
yep it is basically a sanctioned soapbox for, what Christie (R) termed- "crazies/fringers"

Look whose threads are flooding the SDZ and it is pretty clear what agenda is being pushed.

For the record, I have never perused this sub-forum because the premise seemed strange. Until today, when I saw a certain someone using sources like cain.tv. com & ny daily *cough* "news" lol, then they set-up the rules to discourage any dissent.

I don't like it.

Feel free to start your own leftwing 'hack' threads in the SDZ, Dottie. And balance it out.

What for? To have it moved immediately to the Flame Zone....might as well just start them in the Flame Zone.

Feel free to start your own leftwing 'hack' threads in the SDZ, Dottie. And balance it out.

What for? To have it moved immediately to the Flame Zone....might as well just start them in the Flame Zone.
Mertex it wont be moved. However, If the OP is trying to make a mockery of a group/members/policies etc then it will be removed.

Those types of threads violate the spirit of this forum.

Mertex it wont be moved. However, If the OP is trying to make a mockery of a group/members/policies etc then it will be removed.

I'm bookmarking this.....:)

Did the conservatives only thread violate the "spirit" of the forum? Had I posted in that thread....would my post have been deleted?

You miss the point. You are pretending to be above the fray.......you shouldn't be focused on starting threads and then "straining" the discussion so that you can maintain control and massage your humongous yet fragile ego. You shouldn't be inviting people to start hack threads in your pet forum, should you? Balance what out? Was that an admission that you have started hack threads?

You may now resume your pretense.

Did the conservatives only thread violate the "spirit" of the forum? Had I posted in that thread....would my post have been deleted?
Tissue?

Given what cereal_killer said earlier that is a very legitimate question.

What exactly is the penalty for posting in a thread where the OP has created a rule excluding a group of posters?

How can there even be a "structured discussion" if the legitimate views of a group of posters are deliberately excluded?

The best debates here in the SDF have only occurred because all views were aired. Without conflict there is nothing to debate.

If someone wants a "Sycophant Soapbox" thread where only they and their mindless myrmidons can high 5 each other then that has nothing whatsoever to with "structured discussion".

So please, CK, go ahead and create a "Soapbox Forum" where those threads can be created and no dissent is ever allowed.

But let's not pretend that they belong under the heading of "structured discussion" because that just makes a mockery of USMB IMO.

Tissue?

What? You guys have some left over? Cool!

You miss the point. You are pretending to be above the fray.......you shouldn't be focused on starting threads and then "straining" the discussion so that you can maintain control and massage your humongous yet fragile ego. You shouldn't be inviting people to start hack threads in your pet forum, should you? Balance what out? Was that an admission that you have started hack threads?

^ that x 1000

If sources are limited, then so is the debate, and cannot be called objective in any fashion.

My point was that Dotcom was whining about all the 'hack' threads in the SDZ. I was just encouraging him to start his own more to his own liking.

My point was that Dotcom was whining about all the 'hack' threads in the SDZ. I was just encouraging him to start his own more to his own liking.

Of course. Your point was this.....your point was that.......someone like me can never seem to understand your points. Absolutely.

What exactly is the penalty for posting in a thread where the OP has created a rule excluding a group of posters?

How can there even be a "structured discussion" if the legitimate views of a group of posters are deliberately excluded?

The best debates here in the SDF have only occurred because all views were aired. Without conflict there is nothing to debate.

If someone wants a "Sycophant Soapbox" thread where only they and their mindless myrmidons can high 5 each other then that has nothing whatsoever to with "structured discussion".

So please, CK, go ahead and create a "Soapbox Forum" where those threads can be created and no dissent is ever allowed.

But let's not pretend that they belong under the heading of "structured discussion" because that just makes a mockery of USMB IMO.

One thread limited to a particular purpose makes a mockery of USMB? How does that possibly hurt you? How does the SDZ possibly hurt anybody? Interfere with anybody's rights?

My gosh I have never seen so much butt hurt just because members cannot as easily insult, derail, drive by post, or otherwise disrupt a discussion they disagree with. Everybody has a whole big board out there to start as many threads as they want ranting and raving about whatever to their hearts' content and make sure no intelligent discussion happens about any subject. The world won't come to an end because you have less ability to do that in one designated forum.

I have much appreciated the SDZ just because we have some control over those devote most of their efforts at USMB to destroying threads. If the issue is me, and I suspect it might be, I will agree to just bow out of the SDZ and restrict my posting to the Coffee Shop. Will that make you all happy? Can we then have some sort of live and let live existence here?

Of course. Your point was this.....your point was that.......someone like me can never seem to understand your points. Absolutely.

That's too bad, because I believe the point is very obvious within the context it was made. But oh well.

Totally agree (bolded) Mertex and I'm not going to disagree with that. However, you are missing the point. If a member wants to exclude a group or groups thats their prerogative. The thread will either die or flourish based on the participants or lack thereof. Who cares? If you want to start a thread that excludes males from debating womens issues I'm not going to stomp my feet and complain. You may have your reasons for this and while I may disagree with what you are doing it's no longer my business. Your thread doesn't affect my life.

Keep in mind, EVERYONE is welcome to start their own SDF thread and bring in, exclude whoever they'd like. Again starting an SDF thread and excluding groups/members etc simply to mock policies/members/issues is NOT why this forum was started. Thats childish and we'll simply close or move it to the FZ or RR.

Structured Debate is whatever YOU want to make of it. Male/Female only debate thread, over/under 60 only thread, Repub/Democrat only, everyone and anyone, etc its a completely blank canvas. Sometimes a member may just want to debate/discuss something without "another group" chiming in. Who are we to say "You can't do that" ? Because we don't like it, then they can't do that? I may not like that you want to create that thread with women only, should I complain and make a rule against it? Not a chance.

This is your forum and you can use it how you see fit. Thats the way it should be.

One thread limited to a particular purpose makes a mockery of USMB? How does that possibly hurt you? How does the SDZ possibly hurt anybody? Interfere with anybody's rights?

My gosh I have never seen so much butt hurt just because members cannot as easily insult, derail, drive by post, or otherwise disrupt a discussion they disagree with. Everybody has a whole big board out there to start as many threads as they want ranting and raving about whatever to their hearts' content and make sure no intelligent discussion happens about any subject. The world won't come to an end because you have less ability to do that in one designated forum.

I have much appreciated the SDZ just because we have some control over those devote most of their efforts at USMB to destroying threads. If the issue is me, and I suspect it might be, I will agree to just bow out of the SDZ and restrict my posting to the Coffee Shop. Will that make you all happy? Can we then have some sort of live and let live existence here?

You hit the nail on the head. The butt hurt cones from the group of posters that live to destroy the threads so no one can have a discussion.

Awwwwwww.

Forum List

Back