Is the Internet Attacking Our Faith in God?

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
th

New research shows that the number of Americans with religious affiliations has dropped by 18 per cent, or 25 million people

Computer scientist Allen Downey says there is a correlation between the drop and the rise of Internet use

He says the increased usage of the internet correlates to 25 per cent of the drop

Read more: Losing our religion: New research shows religion has declined as Internet use has increased | Mail Online

Well it certainly appears a lot of users on this forum can attest to this! We spent so much time at our keyboards that we no longer have time to get on our knees? :eusa_whistle:

I think people can get on Facebook to keep in touch with their friends instead of at church.

Say this out loud a couple of times so that you remember it:

Correlation is not causation.

Is the Internet Attacking Our Faith in God?
You mean it's attacking the premise that greed is good? Is it saying that screwing the elderly is shameful? Does it contend that making children go hungry is wrong? Is bankrupting the economy with war an abomination according to the internet? Is the right wing GOP being exposed as the tool of Satan? Gee, I hope so.

No. Though obviously there are those on the internet who do.

The internet is one of the greatest tools we have to bring people to Christ.

If and when church leaders figure out how to use is.

Pope Francis is on Facebook and Twitter. And, while he's not breaking records, he's setting a pretty good example for others. :eusa_angel:

That's like saying that texting while driving brings people to Christ....well kinda.

th

New research shows that the number of Americans with religious affiliations has dropped by 18 per cent, or 25 million people

Computer scientist Allen Downey says there is a correlation between the drop and the rise of Internet use

He says the increased usage of the internet correlates to 25 per cent of the drop

Read more: Losing our religion: New research shows religion has declined as Internet use has increased | Mail Online

Well it certainly appears a lot of users on this forum can attest to this! We spent so much time at our keyboards that we no longer have time to get on our knees? :eusa_whistle:

I asked my dad one time why we had left our traditional faith and started attending the Catholic church. He replied because it is the one time every week I can get down on my knees in a place of worship. :dunno:

The Internet has been responsible for a change in our way of life, in many areas, both positive and negative.

I hate to cede our control over the Internet, and so do other people, some in Congress.

------------------------

As Americans, we value our constitutional right of freedom of speech and have promoted this value throughout the world. We should not give up our stewardship of the Internet so that the United Nations or countries like China or Russia, that do not hold free speech in the same regard, can have the opportunity to take control." -- Rep. Duffy

From Eric Dondero:

Last week we brought you news of South Carolina Republican Senator Tim Scott raising the internet ownership issue. And now he's been joined on the House side by Rep. Tim Duffy

From TheHill, "GOP bill keeps US Internet control":

Rep. Sean Duffy (R-Wis.) has proposed legislation that would block the federal government from handing over control of the Internet management system.

Libertarian Republican

That's like saying that texting while driving brings people to Christ....well kinda.

So using the internet is going to cause you to die?

Your analogy isnt very good.

It's your analogy of the internet bringing people to Christ that isn't good. This whole religious section on this forum hasn't brought one person to Christ. In fact, it's probably driven many more away from God, because they see your holier than thou hypocrisy. Can I get an Amen?

th

Gotta love the holier than thou bible thumpers here. They're so busy preaching here, they don't have time to actually follow the teachings of their christ.

Fact is, religion declines as education increases and that's why some rw's are against education.

Except of course, Bristol Palin leaving her bastard with $arah while she goes to beauty school to get an "education".

It's your analogy of the internet bringing people to Christ that isn't good. This whole religious section on this forum hasn't brought one person to Christ. In fact, it's probably driven many more away from God, because they see your holier than thou hypocrisy. Can I get an Amen?

Amen.

Anyone who wants to know why christians aren't welcome, just read the tripe they preach here.

This should be renamed the Hate Forum.

Amen.

Anyone who wants to know why christians aren't welcome, just read the tripe they preach here.

This should be renamed the Hate Forum.

There's plenty of crap spewed by people of any faith or none at all.

The internet certainly may have had an influence on the numbers of believers. It has changed the way people live in a lot of ways.

th

Gotta love the holier than thou bible thumpers here. They're so busy preaching here, they don't have time to actually follow the teachings of their christ.

Fact is, religion declines as education increases and that's why some rw's are against education.

Except of course, Bristol Palin leaving her bastard with $arah while she goes to beauty school to get an "education".

she flunked out of Clown School.....

religious and non-religious sites have flourished.....no reason to think that the internet alone is responsible for declining numbers of those wanting religion to be part of their life...

When I think about how the earth is traveling through space at 500,000 miles per hour, spinning at 1,500 kilometers per hour, and traveling around the sun at 100,000 kilometers per hour, for hundreds of thousands of years, and we haven't crashed, it's impossible for me not to believe in a super intelligent conscientiousness with a purpose. But the bible is a bunch of ancient dudes that tried to write about what they had no clue about, and a bunch of cronies of Constantine that cherry picked scriptures that supported their power grab.

th

that's interesting given the constant barrage of theocratic propaganda we get on the internet.

but i'd think if one's faith isn't strong enough to withstand reading, then one's faith isn't particularly strong.

perhaps people just feel more comfortable saying what they think when they are exposed to other like-minded people on the internet. or maybe information makes a difference.

either way, the job of the internet is, for better or worse, to provide information (even occasionally true information). the job of the internet is not to bolster or protect anyone's religious beliefs.

you should also remember that correlation does not equal causation.

Forum List

Back