Is the knowledge of good and evil, good or evil?

Man's inclination is for good not evil.

G-d says otherwise.

Write a letter to your congressman.
Did God create evil?

Yes, and gave humanity the freedom to choose.
How many times will you be asking the same question?
So does God contain evil? Where did God get this evil from to create evil?

What do you mean, where did he get it from?
Everything God created is good because God is good. The goodness proceeds from God. How was God able to create evil if his nature does not contain evil?

You’re just subjectively anthropomorphising Him.

Asking who or what He is might be the best place for you to start.
You call it anthropomorphising. I call it using logic, reason and experience.

I start from the position that existence is good. That man is inclined to good and that man prefers good over the absence of good. I rely on observations and my own experience to form that conclusion. If one were to make a tally of every single act and event and catalog that act and event as bad or good, goodness would overwhelmingly dominate the list.

You can know from your own experiences that virtue is the greatest organizing principle in your life. You are drawn to people who behave with virtue and you are repulsed by people who behave without virtue.

You can use logic to understand why you are drawn to people with virtue and why you are repulsed by people devoid of virtue.

Logic tells us that the natural order is set by the creator. So why wouldn't the attributes of the natural world be the attributes of the Creator of the natural world?

Sorry. It’s all too convoluted for me. I’m out.

Except that >

In Jewish thought, one of the things Jews struggle against every day is the "evil inclination," also known as the yetzer hara (יֵצֶר הַרַע, from Genesis 6:5).The yetzer hara is not a force or a being, but rather refers to mankind's innate capacity for doing evil in the world.

From Jewish view of Satan..
Again, you can arrive at that exact same position without believing that God created evil as long as you recognize that what you perceive as evil is in reality absence of good.

I even posted several links of Jewish thought that said the exact same thing.

Actually you can't, neither did you,
and that's exactly the opposite of what Rabbi Sa'adiah Gaon wrote,
you'd know that if you actually learn the context of the discussion he was addressing.
But that would take reading actually Rav Sa'adia Goan, and then Rambam with Ibn 'Ezra.

Kinda better than quoting what someone says they supposedly said.
You never replied to them. That's how you roll. You dismiss your defeats and ignore your incongruities.

The need to account for the existence of evil in the world became even more acute with the manifestation of dualistic movements. Saadiah Gaon strongly rejects these dualist doctrines and affirms God's unity. Steeped as he was in the *Kalām tradition, he states that God conducts the world with infinite justice and wisdom. God, according to Saadiah, would not have created evil because evil does not have a separate existence sui generis but is nothing more than the absence of good. The sufferings of the righteous are either a requital for the few sins which they have committed, or they serve as an instrument of chastisement or trial, for which reward will be given in the afterlife. Saadiah thus upholds the doctrine of "afflictions of love."

*Maimonides also views evil as a nonexistence, namely the absence of good, which could not have been produced by God. He distinguishes between three different kinds of evil. The first category is that of natural evils which befall man, such as landslides, earthquakes, and floods, or his having been born with certain deformities. The cause of this type of evil is the fact that man has a body which is subject to corruption and destruction. This is in accordance with natural law and is necessary for the continuance and permanence of the species. The second kind of evil is within the social realm, such as wars. This type of evil, Maimonides says, occurs infrequently and, of course, being wholly within the control of man, could not have been caused by God. Though difficult, its remedy is within the hands of man. The third class of evil, the largest and most frequent class, is the evil which the individual brings upon himself through his vices and excessive desires. Again the remedy is within man's power. Maimonides rejects the notion of "afflictions of love," holding instead that even the minutest pain is a punishment for some previous transgression. He explains that the tests mentioned in the Bible, such as God's request to Abraham to offer up his son, have a didactic purpose, to teach the truth of God's commandments and how far one must go in obeying them.

Nice that you've edited that now.

Do I need to explain the meaning of quoting?

I can quote you paragraphs of researches saying Maimonides didn't believe in resurrection of the dead during Messianic era, and yet that's right in his most famous work.

This may surprise you, nevertheless a good opportunity to mention - theJewishLibrary.org
is not the most precise source on Jewish law and history, mildly saying.
There much more authentic serious sources at reach.

"Simon said...." is not gonna ride.

Quote me Maimonides, actual Maimonides, directly.

Then we can talk.

Yes, I know you can quote yourself ad nauseam.

Try actually quoting something THEY wrote, the authors,
not what someone else says about what they supposedly wrote.

Get the idea?
I am quoting Martin Buber, a Austrian Jewish and Israeli philosopher who was a prolific author and scholar; Saadiah Gaon, a prominent rabbi, and Jewish philosopher; and Moses ben Maimon, a rabbi, physician, and philosopher who is one of the most prolific and influential Torah scholars.

Are you surprised that they believed God did not create evil? Can you show otherwise?

Nope you don't quote the later two.
Austrian Jewish philosophers are neither authority on Jewish thought nor law.

Yes I can show otherwise, back in our discussion I referred to a verse in which G-d calls man's heart wicked. That was about the point where you started to deflect.

Why are you never capable of quoting the actual text, authors?

Ah remember..."believe".
From MOSES MAIMONIDES, THE GUIDE FOR THE PERPLEXED
Part 3, Chapter X, Titled "God is not the Creator of Evil" Pages 265-267

The Mutakallemim, as I have already told you, apply the term non-existence only to absolute non-existence, and not to the absence of properties. A property and the absence of that property are considered by them as two opposites, they treat, e.g., blindness and sight, death and life, in the same way as heat and cold. Therefore they say, without any qualification, nonexistence does not require any agent, an agent is required when something is produced. From a certain point of view this is correct. Although they hold that non-existence does not require an agent, they say in accordance with their principle that God causes blindness and deafness, and gives rest to anything that moves, for they consider these negative conditions as positive properties. We must now state our opinion in accordance with the results of philosophical research. You know that he who removes the obstacle of motion is to some extent the cause of the motion, e.g. if one removes the pillar which supports the beam he causes the beam to move, as has been stated by Aristotle in his Physics (VIII., chap. iv.) ; in this sense we say of him who removed a certain property that he produced the absence of that property, although absence of a property is nothing positive. Just as we say of him who puts out the light at night that he has produced darkness, so we say of him who has destroyed the sight of any being that he produced blindness, although darkness and blindness are negative properties, and require no agent.

In accordance with this view we explain the following passage of Isaiah : " I form the light and create (bore) darkness : I make peace, and create (bore) evil" (Isa. xlv. 7), for darkness and evil are non-existing things. Consider that the prophet does not say, I make ('oseh) darkness, I make ('oseh) evil, because darkness and evil are not things in positive existence to which the verb "to make" would apply ; the verb bara "he created" is used because in Hebrew this verb is applied to non-existing things, e.g. "In the beginning God created" (bara), etc. ; here the creation took place from nothing. Only in this sense can non-existence be said to be produced by a certain action of an agent. In the same way we must explain the following passage: " Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or the deaf, or the seeing," etc. (Exod. iv. I I). The passage can also be explained as follows: Who has made man able to speak ? or can create him without the capacity of speaking, i.e., create a substance that is incapable of acquiring this property? for he who produces a substance that cannot acquire a certain property may be called the producer of that privation. Thus we say, if any one abstains from delivering a fellow-man from death, although he is able to do so, that he killed him. It is now clear that according to all these different views the action of an agent cannot be directly connected with a thing that does not exist; only indirectly is non-existence described as the result of the action of an agent, whilst in a direct manner an action can only influence a thing really in existence ; accordingly, whoever the agent may be, he can only act upon an existing thing.

After this explanation you must recall to memory that, as has been proved, the [so-called] evils are evil only in relation to a certain thing, and that which is evil in reference to a certain existing thing, either includes the non-existence of that thing or the non-existence of some of its good conditions. The proposition has therefore been laid down in the most general terms, " All evils are negations." Thus for man death is evil ; death is his non-existence. Illness, poverty, and ignorance are evils for man ; all these are privations of properties. If you examine all single cases to which this general proposition applies, you will find that there is not one case in which the proposition is wrong except in the opinion of those who do not make any distinction between negative and positive properties, or between two opposites, or do not know the nature of things,--who, e.g., do not know that health in general denotes a certain equilibrium, and is a relative term. The absence of that relation is illness in general, and death is the absence of life in the case of any animal. The destruction of other things is likewise nothing but the absence of their form.

.After these propositions, it must be admitted as a fact that it cannot be said of God that He directly creates evil, or He has the direct intention to produce evil; this is impossible. His works are all perfectly good. He only produces existence, and all existence is good ; whilst evils are of a negative character, and cannot be acted upon. Evil can only be attributed to Him in the way we have mentioned. He creates evil only in so far as He produces the corporeal element such as it actually is; it is always connected with negatives, and is on that account the source of all destruction and all evil. Those beings that do not possess this corporeal element are not subject to destruction or evil ; consequently the true work of God is all good, since it is existence. The book which enlightened the darkness of the world says therefore, " And God saw everything that He had made, and, behold, it was very good " (Gen. i. 31). Even the existence of this corporeal element, low as it in reality is, because it is the source of death and all evils, is likewise good for the permanence of the Universe and the continuation of the order of things, so that one thing departs and the other succeeds. Rabbi Meir therefore explains the words " and behold it was very good" (tob me'od) ; that even death was good in accordance with what we have observed in this chapter. Remember what I said in this chapter, consider it, and you will understand all that the prophets and our Sages remarked about the perfect goodness of all the direct works of God. In Bereshit Rabba (chap. i.) the
same idea is expressed thus : " No evil comes down from above."

At last, thank you.

Now we can start - tell me, where does it say all man does is good?
You confuse G-d's work with man's work, which is exactly how you end up corrupt.

Read the next chapter.
No. It don't work that way. My point has been made. I don't reward ignorance that thinks it knows.

What point did you make,
that man can do no evil?

I don't think so that what it said.

Read again.
You are so prideful. Take your defeat like a man.

Rylah intentionally denies examination because Rylah is irrational. Rylah has no formal defined belief system. Instead Rylah only has is only a vague, rosy notion of something good, noble and just: the advent of these things will bring instant euphoria and a social order beyond reproach. Rylah has an extraordinary ability to be incited and inflamed by different points of view. Rylah dismisses his defeats and ignores his incongruities. Rylah practices moral relativity, indiscriminate indiscriminateness, multiculturalism, cultural Marxism and normalization of deviance. Rylah worships science but is the first to reject it when it suits his purpose. Rylah can be identified by an external locus of control. Rylah practices critical theory which is the Cultural Marxist theory to criticize what he does not believe to arrive at what he does believe without ever having to examine what he believes. Rylah confuses critical theory for critical thinking. Critical thinking is the practice of challenging what one does believe to test its validity. Something Rylah never does.

Wow nice rant.

What about the quote where Maimonides
supposedly claims man can do no evil?

Try again snowflake.
You should read Maimonides and educate yourself on Jewish beliefs.

So Maimonides didn't say that?

Try another Jewish sage.

Read carefully.
I think it's awesome that you are disagreeing with Moses ben Maimon. Maybe you should discuss it with the Rabbi who taught you that God created evil.

Nice try but I'm not,
Maimonides says man can do evil.

Where does Maimonides say man can't do evil?
Coming soon....

Part 3, Chapter XI, Titled "Man is the Cause of his own Misfortune" Page 267

http://files.libertyfund.org/files/1256/0739_Bk.pdf

:lol:

Is the knowledge of good and evil, good or evil?

The animal is innocent any knowledge of good and evil. For it, there is no good or evil, it kills to eat, to survive, nothing more.

The Tree of Knowledge referred to carnal knowledge of pleasure. This was written into the Bible as a way to shame Christians that the sex act should only occur between married couples for the sake of begatting children.

I'll say this: If everyone practiced this, we wouldn't have the population problem we have today.

But knowledge of good and evil in and of itself cannot be evil, because for God to be God, he must have knowledge of good and evil and he is Good Personified. God is the antithesis of evil.

I take it then that you see Yahweh trying to deny us knowledge as evil. Right?

Regards
DL
[/QUOTE]
Wrong. You don't understand what that means to symbolically CHOOSE to take from the Tree of the knowledge of Good and Evil.

ALL of Mankind's troubles today are the result of that decision

Apparently Rylah can't figure out what Moses ben Maimon said.

Wouldn't be the need for childish posturing
if you had the actual quote.

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Part 3, Chapter XII, Titled "Three Kinds of Evil; 1 Caused by the Nature of Man, 2 Caused by Man to Man, 3 Caused by Man to Himself"

:dance:

Is that the the evil man can't do?

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

:)

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Part 3, Chapter XII, Titled "Three Kinds of Evil; 1 Caused by the Nature of Man, 2 Caused by Man to Man, 3 Caused by Man to Himself"

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

By next week you will be making the argument that God did not create evil and I will be loving it.

Imagine that, a Jew being taught by a Catholic.

And the following week he will be making that evil is not extant.

ba da da da da i'm lovin it

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

By next week you will be making the argument that God did not create evil and I will be loving it.

I never made that argument to begin with,
that's just your typical strawman to run for when you can't address what's being said.

My argument was always consistent -that G-d gave man freedom of choice,
and for that created the possibility for man to do evil.

All you did is defend against a strawman.

But as for our actual argument?
Not much - still ducking.

Do try again.

Last edited:
The week after that he will be arguing that evil is the absence of good.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooal

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

I never made that argument,
that's just what you constantly run away to duck the actual discussion.

All you did is defend a strawman argument.

Do try again.
Would you like for me to be your rabbi?

Bearing false witness against your neighbor is a violation of God's Commandments.

And a week later he will be making the argument that everything God created is good so it isn't possible that God created evil.

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

Do try again.

Sure , why not,

after I personally circumcise you.

Deal?

Last edited:

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

Do try again.

Sure , why not,

I'll personally circumcise you.

Deal?
I am just happy that you won't be arguing that God created evil anymore.

And a week later he will be making the argument that everything God created is good so it isn't possible that God created evil.

No I will be making still the same argument you can't address.

About G-d giving the man the ability to do evil,
as function of freedom of choice.

No I will still be making the same argument you can't address.

About G-d giving the man the ability to do evil,
as function of freedom of choice.

You'll still be ducking.
I love how you changed your argument.

Problem is Moses ben Maimon said that everything God made is good. You say God gave man an evil inclination. :lol:

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

Do try again.

Sure , why not,

Deal?

You still don't understand.

My argument is the exact same as Moses ben Maimon so I'm pretty sure I have addressed everything.

Good luck with that one.

Coming soon....

Kinda made my point

Arrived...

Do try again.

Sure , why not,

Deal?

You still don't understand.
You have that backwards, crawfish boy.

Forum List

Back