VIP Member
Sep 30, 2009
The ratio of men for every 100 women:
USA: 97
UK: 97
Spain: 98
Russia: 86
Japan: 95

Is the polygamy the solution for many countries?

screen-shot-2012-04-22-at-11-43-25-pm.png

Only if they are orphans.

One mother in law is enough

Polygamous societies have to get rid of excess young men. Our local FLDS community dumps off 18-year-old men on a street corner in St. George, and tells them they are not welcome to ever return. The 14-year-old girls are forced to marry creepy old men who already have wives and children. The community is not self-sufficient, it lives off of government assistance, like food stamps, AFDC. It's a seriously fucked up situation for all.

I don't know what is meant by THE polygamy but if between consenting adults, who cares? OTOH, along with healthy "arrangements", there's are also Warren Jeffs/David Koresch types.

Our society doesn't take child abuse very seriously so my concern would be for them.

Then there are the very malleable among us. That's how and why religions exist ...

Polygamy COULD be between consenting adults, but USUALLY it is not. 14-year-old girls get sucked into it. It may not be legal for girls that young to be married, but polygamous cults don't care about the legality of a marriage. In fact, if a man gets thrown out of a cult, his wives and children are "reassigned" to other men. The law has nothing to do with any of this.

Plural marriage and placement marriage[edit]
See also: Placement marriage
The FLDS Church teaches the doctrine of plural marriage, which states that a man having multiple wives is ordained of and a commandment by God; the doctrine requires it in order for a man to receive the highest form of salvation. It is generally believed in the church that a man should have a minimum of three wives to fulfill this requirement.[76]Connected with this doctrine is patriarchal doctrine, the belief that wives are required to be subordinate to their husbands.

The church currently practices placement marriage, whereby a young woman of marriageable age is assigned a husband by revelation from God to the leader of the church, who is regarded as a prophet.[77] The prophet elects to take and give wives to and from men according to their worthiness. This is also called the law of placing.

Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's not really marriage when the leader shuffles women around between men according to his whim.

Polygamy COULD be between consenting adults, but USUALLY it is not. 14-year-old girls get sucked into it. It may not be legal for girls that young to be married, but polygamous cults don't care about the legality of a marriage. In fact, if a man gets thrown out of a cult, his wives and children are "reassigned" to other men. The law has nothing to do with any of this.

The law authorize libertinism but doesn't allow polygamy.
Some polygamous men were arrested by the police!

I see no reason that polygamy should be illegal. Underage sex is a separate issue and is illegal anyway.

You do understand I don't think there actually is a problem that it solves anyway. A man can live and shelter as many women as he cares too. And vice versa, just can't sign a piece of paper.

And marriage does not require sex in the first place.

Sorry, that is a very minor difference in the ratios.

NOw, if you wanted to focus on the Black community, with it's higher death/incarceration rates for males, you might be able to make a stronger argument, for changing the law for their sake.

And then of course, it has to be the same for everyone.

Make sure to deny strongly any suggest that a law allowing black polygamy would lead to universal polygamy.;)

I see no reason that polygamy should be illegal. Underage sex is a separate issue and is illegal anyway.

You do understand I don't think there actually is a problem that it solves anyway. A man can live and shelter as many women as he cares too. And vice versa, just can't sign a piece of paper.

And marriage does not require sex in the first place.

I prefer polygamy to prostitution.

Spinsters are more subject to attacks or molestation than married women.
Polygamy should not be allowed only in Utah but in all states.
A man with his 3 wives and family in Salt Lake City.

about-polygamy-1.jpg

The Bible endorses it as early as Gen. 4:19:

Genesis 4:19
King James Version (KJV)
(19)And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

Some men like myself aren't interested in being with women (I am hetero for the record.) But polygamy still might help some desperate women.

Forum List

Back