Is the term ”Polak” still meant to be an insult to Polish people in the US?

GLASNOST

Gold Member
Aug 1, 2016
Ouma se rondovel
Yes, I was advised to post this thread here after someone complained about the thread on clean debate.

It used to be a huge slur against people from Poland and those of Polish descent.

I find it very odd because the Polish word for a Pole is ….. wait for it ….. Polak. So, are Americans saying that people from Poland should be ashamed of their heritage?

Just some losers with nothing to attract attention to themselves dreaming up 'offenses n stuff'. All ethnic groups have pet names for other ethnic groups and themselves as well. I don't pay much attention to them, they're idiots and more bigoted than the people they hope to look down on.

I did not know it was a thing anymore once All in the Family went off the air. :dunno:
Archie didn't invent it. "Polak" was wide-spread in American cities to be a huge insult long before "All in the Family" was created and Archie sure used it often enough. So was "DP" (Dumb Polak) but I heard it originally meant "Displaced Person" for those arriving from Poland during the war. So was "WOP" a slur on Italians who arrived "Without Papers". DP and WOP were stamped on whatever documentation they were given when they arrived at Ellis Island. At least, that's what I heard.

Archie didn't invent it. "Polak" was wide-spread in American cities to be a huge insult long before "All in the Family" was created and Archie sure used it often enough. So was "DP" (Dumb Polak) but I heard it originally meant "Displaced Person" for those arriving from Poland during the war. So was "WOP" a slur on Italians who arrived "Without Papers". DP and WOP were stamped on whatever documentation they were given when they arrived at Ellis Island. At least, that's what I heard.
How many ______ does it take to remove roadkill?

Three....Two to stop traffic while one eats the roadkill. ;)

I haven't heard "Polak" for many years, outside of "All in the Family".

It was a sort of common insult in middle school. My suburban area was home to a lot of Polish-descended families. Generally, it would be the grandparents who emigrated from Poland, but our classmates with Polish names got the slur.

A local late-night comedy team (Big Chuck and Hoolihan, later Big Chuck and Little John) had a repeating bit on "The Certain Ethnic <profession>", where "Certain Ethnic" was understood to mean "Polish". Then they'd run the bit showing a stereotypically Polish guy doing something stupid. So yeah, the "Polish people are stupid" thing was common enough that it was a running gag on TV.

Our town really had just as many Slovaks as Poles, but only the Poles were made fun of.

Last edited:
I haven't heard "Polak" for many years ... yeah, the "Polish people are stupid" thing was common enough that it was a running gag on TV.

Our town really had just as many Slovaks as Poles, but only the Poles were made fun of.
You must be from Pittsburgh or Natrona Heights.

Bohunks for Bohemians, Hunkies, for Hungarian, Paddies, bog hoppers for Irish, Limeys for Brits, etc. No big deal, except to those with inferiority complexes re their much betters, like WASPs.

I always took polak (or however it's spelled) as simply a short version or other way of saying polish person. Like Mexicans can be called latino. The insult was the following joke.

I always took polak (or however it's spelled) as simply a short version or other way of saying polish person. Like Mexicans can be called latino.
Not at all. "Polak" was used derogatorily to single out a Pole just as "S*p*i*c" was used as a derogatory name for a Mexican. But as I say, I lived in the US during the 1960s so I am sure that I’m out of touch.
EDIT: I was compelled to change it with asterix (to avoid the censor) so apparently it is still a derogatory word for Mexican.

You can turn anything into a race based insult if you want. You don't hear Polock much these days but Canadians seem to embrace Canuck and "redneck" is usually intended as an insult directed at the hard working middle class South.

You can turn anything into a race based insult if you want.
You are missing the issue, I think. It can be about intent or it could be about a chip on the shoulder. As I've stated "Polak" is a Polish word meaning Pole and using it as an insult (for that reason) is deeply offensive by intent. I have noticed a similar issue with Americans avoiding calling someone a "Jew" as though it too is an insult so it is preferred to say "Jewish" instead. "He is Jewish" rather than "He is a Jew."
You don't hear Polock much these days ...
That's what I was trying to find out.
but Canadians seem to embrace Canuck
Well, the Vancouver Canucks is the name of an ice hockey team.
and "redneck" is usually intended as an insult directed at the hard working middle class South.
Probably, yes.

Forum List

Back