Is there a god?

sad??!! sad?? !!! what??? sad??
..no--you are wrong--we know the Twin Towers were destroyed on 9-11--there is video proof as well as chain of custody witnesses
...we know the A bombs destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki
..we know the Titanic sank
fan·ta·sy
ˈfan(t)əsē/
noun
  1. 1.
    the faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable.
until you can prove there is a god, your beliefs are fantasy

the pyramid analogy is so ridiculous
the pyramids are REAL
Well, prove it then, not with pictures (that can be doctored) but with hard, irrefutable evidence. Did you SEE any of those things happen? Are you a witness? No? Then you are taking other peoples' word for it, plain and simple. The fact that there are far more people saying one thing than the other does not make it true. If you recall your history, it was once the consensus that the Earth was flat. The vast majority of people said so, and believed it. Did that make it true? Of course not. Thus, my point. Anything you did not, personally, experience/witness, you have to have a certain amount of faith to believe. Same is true for religious/spiritual faith.

The difference here is that you CHOOSE to believe that 9/11 happened, the Atomic bombs were dropped, and the Titanic sank. It is a well informed choice, as there is quite a bit of evidence that those things happened. There is also quite a bit of evidence that there is a god. You just choose not to believe it.
travel to Egypt for one
I can't travel somewhere to see god
start being reasonable --the pyramid analogy is nonsensical
Do you usually argue about things you don't believe exist?
I point out idiocy--
this is USMB?? isn't that what the forum is for?
hahhahahaa .....
do you usually argue about things that don't exist?
Pardon me, I think I tripped over your rationalization.

No, I don't waste my time arguing about things that I don't believe exist. That's what you are doing.

What is it that you have accomplished in life that makes you believe you are more intelligent than others?
please provide your evidence

I, personally, believe that there is a god. What that means, though, I have been struggling with for quite some time. Therefore, I pose the questions:

1. If there is a god, what does that mean?
  2. If there is not a god, what does that mean?
I am looking for opinion, obviously, I do not believe there will ever be proof, or empirical evidence (at least not until rapture, assuming that there is a god). What I am looking for here is what people believe. What leads you to believe what you do? Why?

Let me be clear, I am NOT looking for evangelism of any kind here. I am looking for what the presence of god (or lack of a god) means to you. I know this is a pretty ambiguous thread, and I do that on purpose, because I do not ant to influence the way anyone responds. I want to open a discussion about what your beliefs (whatever they are) have shaped who you are, how you look at religion (in general), and how you look at the world.
It means that we were created for a purpose.
It means that we are being tested.
It means that we are being refined.
It means that life has meaning.

There is meaning in God.
There is meaning in Creation.
There is meaning in existence.
There is meaning in history.
There is meaning in morality.
There is meaning in justice.
Ok, but what IS that meaning? That is what I am getting at. Not that there IS meaning, rather WHAT that meaning is.
That we were created for more.
More what? More than just being? How much more? What are you getting at?

So happy and successful that you come here to make fun of the beliefs of others?
I come to ask questions about god because I'm curious, it's your answers that are funny. :biggrin:
When one calls someone "feeble minded" one is NOT looking for serious discussion. One is looking for a fight.
dingbat proves me right.
Your refusal to accept the reality here is duly noted. Name call all you like, the fact remains you are being dishonest when you imply that you want a serious discussion to satisfy your curiosity. What you are looking for is a venue to attempt to discredit and impune the character of those who disagree with you.
The arguments for the god of the bible at this forum are of a feeble minded level. I came here looking for serious discussion, unfortunately I have found none, it's pretty much all nonsense that believers spout here. Which led me to my conclusion. That you can't accept it is your problem, not mine. maybe you can up god's side of the discussion here. Have any proof?
If it is proof you are looking for, I have what I believe and nothing more. One can "see" proof if one wishes, or one can "see" no proof, if that is what one wishes. Whether or not there is proof is not the point here. If you do not believe there is a god that's just fine with me. What I want to know from you, then, is what does that mean to you?

That is the very essence of faith. I am truly sorry that you find it so difficult to believe in something that you cannot prove.

As for whether or not there is a god, simply because no one can prove the existence, would you say that there is proof that there is life outside of our planet? Does that mean it doesn't exist? Just because I cannot prove something, does not mean it is not true, it only means I cannot prove it.
it's easy--I live in reality....not in fairytale land
jesus as son of god/rising from the dead/born to a virgin---all impossible to humans
let's be real here
we die and that's it...there are no floating spirits/energy/etc ..no heaven or hell to go to
I, too, live in reality. Sadly it is a reality where some people, like you, refer to my beliefs as "fantasy" simply because you do not agree, or understand. Sad really. When one stops to really think about it, what do you really know, and what do you believe because of the "proof" you have be presented with? Take, for instance, any event that you did not personally witness. Did it happen? Well, one can show lots of "proof" that it did, one can also show "proof" that it did not, hence the abundance of "conspiracy theories".

I believe that this is an accurate depiction of the pyramids of giza:
View attachment 188383
However, as I have never been there, I have little choice but to either believe the evidence, or disbelieve it. All the photos I have ever seen may well be part of a huge "fake news" conspiracy, but the evidence is quite substantial that that is untrue, so I believe. How is that any different from faith in a higher power, or god? I cannot prove, nor disprove the existence, but I choose to believe the evidence that there is. You choose to disbelieve the evidence. How does that equate to one being the truth, and one being a "fantasy"?
..no--you are wrong--we know the Twin Towers were destroyed on 9-11--there is video proof as well as chain of custody witnesses
fan·ta·sy
ˈfan(t)əsē/
noun
  1. 1.
    the faculty or activity of imagining things, especially things that are impossible or improbable.

the pyramids are REAL
Well, prove it then, not with pictures (that can be doctored) but with hard, irrefutable evidence. Did you SEE any of those things happen? Are you a witness? No? Then you are taking other peoples' word for it, plain and simple. The fact that there are far more people saying one thing than the other does not make it true. If you recall your history, it was once the consensus that the Earth was flat. The vast majority of people said so, and believed it. Did that make it true? Of course not. Thus, my point. Anything you did not, personally, experience/witness, you have to have a certain amount of faith to believe. Same is true for religious/spiritual faith.

The difference here is that you CHOOSE to believe that 9/11 happened, the Atomic bombs were dropped, and the Titanic sank. It is a well informed choice, as there is quite a bit of evidence that those things happened. There is also quite a bit of evidence that there is a god. You just choose not to believe it.
travel to Egypt for one
You are completely missing my point here. Yes, I could travel to Egypt and, supposedly, see the pyramids. I can also look outside and see what I believe is evidence that there IS a god. The point I am trying to make here is that we believe what we do based on the evidence we have been presented with. For you, it would seem, you have not been presented with the evidence you desire to believe there is a god. Yet, I have no doubt, there are things that you have been provided with similar evidence of that you do believe. I have no doubt that there have been cases in which you believe someone has seen something/someone that can provide no further evidence than their word, and yet you believe them. Why, then, do you not believe those who say they have "seen" their god? What is the difference?

travel to Egypt for one
I point out idiocy--
hahhahahaa .....

No, I don't waste my time arguing about things that I don't believe exist. That's what you are doing.

What is it that you have accomplished in life that makes you believe you are more intelligent than others?
Do you believe in the theory of evolution? I assume you do, as most people do, to some extent. So, prove it. I should think you would be worthy of a Nobel Prize if you are able to accomplish this, as no one has yet. Does the FACT that it is unproven mean that it is incorrect? Of course not. Therefore, how is your logic different when it comes to belief in a god? Both are, at their most basic, a theory. Yet, you accept one (I assume) and not the other. Why?

travel to Egypt for one
I point out idiocy--
hahhahahaa .....

Do you believe in the theory of evolution? I assume you do, as most people do, to some extent. So, prove it. I should think you would be worthy of a Nobel Prize if you are able to accomplish this, as no one has yet. Does the FACT that it is unproven mean that it is incorrect? Of course not. Therefore, how is your logic different when it comes to belief in a god? Both are, at their most basic, a theory. Yet, you accept one (I assume) and not the other. Why?
for 1, your whole post here is not evidence for god
the evolution theory is a theory not a belief as religion is
re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun
  1. a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
totally different things--again your analogy is bad

it's easy--I live in reality....not in fairytale land
jesus as son of god/rising from the dead/born to a virgin---all impossible to humans
let's be real here
we die and that's it...there are no floating spirits/energy/etc ..no heaven or hell to go to
I, too, live in reality. Sadly it is a reality where some people, like you, refer to my beliefs as "fantasy" simply because you do not agree, or understand. Sad really. When one stops to really think about it, what do you really know, and what do you believe because of the "proof" you have be presented with? Take, for instance, any event that you did not personally witness. Did it happen? Well, one can show lots of "proof" that it did, one can also show "proof" that it did not, hence the abundance of "conspiracy theories".

View attachment 188383
However, as I have never been there, I have little choice but to either believe the evidence, or disbelieve it. All the photos I have ever seen may well be part of a huge "fake news" conspiracy, but the evidence is quite substantial that that is untrue, so I believe. How is that any different from faith in a higher power, or god? I cannot prove, nor disprove the existence, but I choose to believe the evidence that there is. You choose to disbelieve the evidence. How does that equate to one being the truth, and one being a "fantasy"?
fan·ta·sy
ˈfan(t)əsē/
noun
  1. 1.

the pyramids are REAL

travel to Egypt for one
You are completely missing my point here. Yes, I could travel to Egypt and, supposedly, see the pyramids. I can also look outside and see what I believe is evidence that there IS a god. The point I am trying to make here is that we believe what we do based on the evidence we have been presented with. For you, it would seem, you have not been presented with the evidence you desire to believe there is a god. Yet, I have no doubt, there are things that you have been provided with similar evidence of that you do believe. I have no doubt that there have been cases in which you believe someone has seen something/someone that can provide no further evidence than their word, and yet you believe them. Why, then, do you not believe those who say they have "seen" their god? What is the difference?
..if the pyramids were fake--it would be all over the internet---so forget that ridiculous analogy

I point out idiocy--
hahhahahaa .....

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
  1. the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun
  1. a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.
Seriously? you are going to split hairs instead of answering the question? And you wish to be taken seriously. Wow, just wow.

I point out idiocy--
hahhahahaa .....

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun
Seriously? you are going to split hairs instead of answering the question? And you wish to be taken seriously. Wow, just wow.
not splitting hairs at all
...no one can even scratch the surface of beginning to try to understand ''a god''/is there a god/etc --it is beyond humans--way, way beyond
..your question is ridiculous

View attachment 188383
fan·ta·sy
ˈfan(t)əsē/
noun
  1. 1.

the pyramids are REAL

travel to Egypt for one
..if the pyramids were fake--it would be all over the internet---so forget that ridiculous analogy
It was an analogy used to show a point. The fact that you are so hung up on it, tells me you have little else of value.

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun
...no one can even scratch the surface of beginning to try to understand ''a god''/is there a god/etc --it is beyond humans--way, way beyond
Then why are you bothering me with your arguments if it's so ridiculous? Do you have nothing better to do with your time than engage in a discussion you find ridiculous? Wow, what a waste of MY time.

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun
Then why are you bothering me with your arguments if it's so ridiculous? Do you have nothing better to do with your time than engage in a discussion you find ridiculous? Wow, what a waste of MY time.
I'm very interested in your undeniable evidence that there is a god
I've been waiting and waiting patiently for it
..this should be good ...evidence of god...who would not want to see evidence of god??..it would be the most important evidence ever--yes??

I point out idiocy--
hahhahahaa .....

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun

Harm, don't parse words. The only REAL difference between religion and scientific theory is that the former is mainly predicated on the inward proof seen by the individual while the other is based on the outward demonstration of a set of graphable facts to society as a whole. History is replete with examples of things which in their time could not be PROVEN yet were undeniably accurate. Just because you haven't the evidence to convince you of God, don't judge others who feel they do. You are in NO POSITION to place judgement on the efficacy of things which you have not seen any evidence of for yourself.

I point out idiocy--
hahhahahaa .....

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun

Harm, don't parse words. The only REAL difference between religion and scientific theory is that the former is mainly predicated on the inward proof seen by the individual while the other is based on the outward demonstration of a set of graphable facts to society as a whole. History is replete with examples of things which in their time could not be PROVEN yet were undeniably accurate. Just because you haven't the evidence to convince you of God, don't judge others who feel they do. You are in NO POSITION to place judgement on the efficacy of things which you have not seen any evidence of for yourself.
I can judge whoever I want whenever I want ...
there is no evidence of god --plain and simple
unless you have evidence of god :shutupsmiley:

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun

Yes, I have evidence of God. But its not anything I can hold out, lay on a table for you to measure. Get your own evidence. But you will never find it because you are not even looking. You think God is supposed to come to YOU and prove Himself while you balance on one leg. So you remain much like a tribesman in Borneo who when asked about automobiles and TV replies: I see no evidence they exist! Lack of any evidence of a thing one way or another (to you) is not proof of its non-existence.

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun

Yes, I have evidence of God. But its not anything I can hold out, lay on a table for you to measure. Get your own evidence. But you will never find it because you are not even looking. You think God is supposed to come to YOU and prove Himself while you balance on one leg. So you remain much like a tribesman in Borneo who when asked about automobiles and TV replies: I see no evidence they exist! Lack of any evidence of a thing one way or another (to you) is not proof of its non-existence.
you don't have evidence is what you mean

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun

so there is a god, but you can't prove it
and I can't find him because I'm not looking --that also is worthless
I'm waiting for evidence -- proof...anything that is even reasonably ridiculous

re·li·gion
rəˈlijən/
noun
the·o·ry
ˈTHirē/
noun

you don't have evidence is what you mean

READ AGAIN: I have amazing, irrefutable, undeniable proof. God is real. God is beyond words, beyond description. You OTOH are just an ass.
But you see, I can sympathize; when I was young, I considered myself an atheist and a skeptic too.

Forum List

Back