🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Is This Really Do-able?

I appreciate innovation...I would support tax money for a small town trial to determine if it would be feasible on a larger scale before making further investment.

Wow, how cool is this? Think this is the wave of the future?

This Futuristic Idea Is Cool, Regardless Of Where You Stand On Climate Change

There's another thread on this. It's an exciting idea. I went gaga over it the first time I saw it. But today someone pointed out to me that the warmed roads will attract animals during cold days.

It would generate a lot of jobs. And then I bet it would generate a lot of studies about unforeseen consequences of putting that much technology in the middle of nature -- in addition to that problem of large numbers of animals seeking out the road for warmth. And that seems like it would be a big problem.

Last edited:
But today someone pointed out to me that the warmed roads will attract animals during cold days.

It would generate a lot of jobs. And then I bet it would generate a lot of studies about unforeseen consequences of putting that much technology in the middle of nature -- in addition to that problem of large numbers of animals seeking out the road for warmth. And that seems like it would be a big problem.

Our roadways are already warm and attract animals. Now they would have the ability to warn drivers of their presence.

Good idea. I'd like to see the cost breakdown. I'm also curious at to MTBF. I'm wondering how that tempered glass surface would hold up to, say, rocks dropped from trucks. How well to the individual units maintain their watertight integrity so they're not wiped out by heavy rainfall.

How do we move juice from the roadway to our electric cars? Inductive pickups? Does that present an electrocution hazard to pedestrians?

But today someone pointed out to me that the warmed roads will attract animals during cold days.

Our roadways are already warm and attract animals. Now they would have the ability to warn drivers of their presence.

With roads which are actually heated on purpose, the problem will be so much worse.

What size of animal would trigger the warning? Well, whether you'd get warnings for all the small animals or not, there would be more of them. How will that affect traffic speed?

... and now I'm wondering about traction with those glass roads, in the rain or in the winter when the roads are melting the snow cover.

You're right. The idea is just no good at all. Forget it.

:cuckoo:

We're not allowed to brainstorm about possible drawbacks and get answers about them before we invest gazillions?

It's a fascinating idea. You afraid to talk pros and cons?

Don't gee me wrong - I will go a long ways out of my way to protect wildlife, but I just don't think worrying about the number of field mice that'll die on the new pavement is worth a great deal of debate. Replacing (potentially) every power plant in the country with these roadways will save many orders of magnitude more wildlife than will be lost as roadkill.

It's a great idea. Of course all the "problems" outlined above have been taken into consideration already.

Even if this will work, they'll never "let" it work. To much money made off of our current form of energy. Imagine if everybody gets their energy from their driveways? Or their patios, etc? Our city for one, would go broke. Every time they want something new, they increase the taxes on our utilities so they don't have to bring it before the voters. How are they going to tax utilities if its your driveway? Your patio? etc. They already have laws in this state to limit the amount of rainwater you can collect. (again, they want that money).

If there is a lot of money to make due to the conversion and all that would go with it, guess what?

Even if this will work, they'll never "let" it work. To much money made off of our current form of energy. Imagine if everybody gets their energy from their driveways? Or their patios, etc? Our city for one, would go broke. Every time they want something new, they increase the taxes on our utilities so they don't have to bring it before the voters. How are they going to tax utilities if its your driveway? Your patio? etc.
Just curious,
if you (as an individual) were to pave your own driveway with solar panels, would your city, county or state prevent you from doing that?

They already have laws in this state to limit the amount of rainwater you can collect. (again, they want that money).
Well that is pretty screwed up.
And I thought the 'impervious storm water" tax that my city charges is screwed up.
"impervious storm water" = any land that is covered so that it cannot absorb rain. That means all the dirt under your house, the paved driveway, a porch and yes, even a deck that is less than 4 feet above the ground. We get taxed on that square footage.

Aside from zoning laws, they cannot stop you from covering your driveway and/or roof with solar PV panels. You might want to think about what you're going to do for juice overnight.

Roadways and playgrounds are NOT ideal solar sites. You are already limited to six hours a day from a FIXED rooftop panel because of sun motion. And in THOSE installations, you take great care to AIM the panel to southern exposure to maximize the output. Looking STRAIGHT UP is a non-starter. Not to mention shadows and DIRT !!! You can descrease the efficiency of a PV panel to next to nothing with just a moderate amount of dirt and grime.

This is an attempt to misuse a technology in a way to make it perform WORSE than it should. And would be an IMMENSE waste of dough compared to siting them CORRECTLY and maintaining them in reasonable fashion..

Forum List

Back