Is This Standing Your Ground?

Tank

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2009
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UUm3ZQJCyU]Florida Woman Shoots Her Own Mother, Claims Self Defense Under 'Stand Your Ground' Law! - YouTube[/ame]

It's hard to say. Had the daughter shot her mother during the initial attack then it would definitely be "stand your ground" self defense. However, it appeared that the mother was outside when she was shot. The daughter could have locked the door at that time and called 911. However, she chose to follow her mother outside instead. I'm not too sure a jury will see that as self defense. It'll be interesting to see where this story goes.

• Banned
Stand your ground is a law for defending yourself, the daughter was not defending herself when she shot her mom

Stand your ground is a law for defending yourself, the daughter was not defending herself when she shot her mom

That's kind of how I see it too. However, the defense is going to claim that the daughter feared for her life. But I believe she had an "out" but simply locking the store door when her mom walked outside. "Standing Ground" laws shouldn't be abused and be excuses to shoot people based on emotion. It should only be used as a last resort when ones life is truly in danger.

In my state (Tennessee), once the shooter pursues, it's no longer a stand your ground or castle law situation.

If the daughter was afraid of the mother,why did she come out of the register area that could be locked and had bullet proof glass?
She grabbed the gun and went to confront her. I would hardly call that standing your ground.
The video is all the proof you need.

If the daughter was afraid of the mother,why did she come out of the register area that could be locked and had bullet proof glass?
She grabbed the gun and went to confront her. I would hardly call that standing your ground.

If there was no video she'd be selling paintings on ebay and appearing on Hannity

If there was no video she'd be selling paintings on ebay and appearing on Hannity

Nah....to many witnesses. Unless of course the witnesses stuck to ghetto code 1.1...no snitching.
Then she might get away with it.

Forum List

Back