Isaiah 53, the forbidden chapter of the Hebrew Bible

I personally view Jesus as a reformator who tried to make Judaism more open, without bureaucracy and strict hierarchy, and outdated prescriptions. To make it less formal, but more 'spiritual'. To fought off the vices of the society he lived in. Basically, he didn't say anything new which hadn't been in the OT already. And this way of 'Christianity' I would welcome with all my heart.

But Christianity came another way. There are various opinions why it happened. I think the most viable is the influence of Greek culture which caused it to turn out to be as we know it today.
I am more of the opinion that he saw Judaism as changing, of people forgetting what they had been taught and had lived through in prior generations. They were forgetting who they were. Jesus was adamant that he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel.
True enough, I think. Judaism changed.

The Israel that Jesus came for no longer exists. The temple people vanished in the fire nearly two thousand years ago. Can anyone now even trace his ancestry to any of the twelve tribes?

The Law is gone. The temple is gone. The genealogical records are gone. The city is gone. The Judaism now is completely different. The Judaism two thousand years ago was the Judaism that Jesus came to judge.
Can anyone now even trace his ancestry to any of the twelve tribes?
Yes.
Like what? 1/64th Benjamin? 1/704th Judah? After millennia of migration and intermarriage, who has this much of Jacob's blood?
The Tribe of Levi.
I don't know the particulars because I don't care.
I'd say about 1/10th of my community is converts and they are now stuck being Jews for the rest of eternity.
What percentage of their blood is Levi's?

I personally view Jesus as a reformator who tried to make Judaism more open, without bureaucracy and strict hierarchy, and outdated prescriptions. To make it less formal, but more 'spiritual'. To fought off the vices of the society he lived in. Basically, he didn't say anything new which hadn't been in the OT already. And this way of 'Christianity' I would welcome with all my heart.

But Christianity came another way. There are various opinions why it happened. I think the most viable is the influence of Greek culture which caused it to turn out to be as we know it today.
I am more of the opinion that he saw Judaism as changing, of people forgetting what they had been taught and had lived through in prior generations. They were forgetting who they were. Jesus was adamant that he was sent to the lost sheep of Israel.

The Israel that Jesus came for no longer exists. The temple people vanished in the fire nearly two thousand years ago. Can anyone now even trace his ancestry to any of the twelve tribes?

The Law is gone. The temple is gone. The genealogical records are gone. The city is gone. The Judaism now is completely different. The Judaism two thousand years ago was the Judaism that Jesus came to judge.
Yes.
Like what? 1/64th Benjamin? 1/704th Judah? After millennia of migration and intermarriage, who has this much of Jacob's blood?
The Tribe of Levi.
I'd say about 1/10th of my community is converts and they are now stuck being Jews for the rest of eternity.
It's called DNA...there's a strand.
I honesty don't know what blood has to do with it.
Christians are so obsessed with blood.

Yes.
The Tribe of Levi.
Blood has everything to do with it. If no one can trace his ancestry to Levi, then there's no Levi, and now you seem to be doubting that anyone today can call himself a Levite.

Last edited:

lol... well if you don't celebrate his death and drink his blood every other sunday and high holiday you are not a believer and will go to hell when you die

No one is supposed to notice that those those who do drink his blood are nuts, in hell for life.

Its a terrific religion, but as for me, I'll pass...

Yes.
The Tribe of Levi.
Blood has everything to do with it. If no one can trace his ancestry to Levi, then there's no Levi, and now you seem to be doubting that anyone can call himself a Levite.
It's called DNA; Levites have the gene...look it up.

Yes.
The Tribe of Levi.
Blood has everything to do with it. If no one can trace his ancestry to Levi, then there's no Levi, and now you seem to be doubting that anyone can call himself a Levite.
Who are these Levites?

It's a simple question. Who today is a Levite?

Yes.
The Tribe of Levi.
Who are these Levites?

There are at least a million Levites living today...
Priests are usually named Katz, Cohen, or any last name starting with a K or C.
Levites have the usual Jewish names.
We have a few hundred of each in my community.

Yes.
The Tribe of Levi.
Who are these Levites?

Okay, if that's what you say. If you want to identify Levites by their surnames, that's your prerogative, I suppose. I'll just satisfy myself that you will not answer my question.

Are these priests sacrificing animals? Are they stoning women to death for adultery? Are they maintaining absolute holiness on the temple mount?

No matter. You haven't changed my mind. It all came to an end: the priesthood, the alter, ark, and other elements in the Holy of Holies, the temple, the genealogy, the Law, tribal distinctions, Judea itself. All of it.

The Messiah came and judged apostate Judea. Temple-era Israel no longer exists.

Basically, he didn't say anything new which hadn't been in the OT already. And this way of 'Christianity' I would welcome with all my heart.

Then welcome that part of Christianity. I see the greatest problem facing all people of all faiths and denominations is the readiness to tell others what they "really" believe. The second greatest problem is the lack of time (and sometimes inclination) to delve more deeply into our beliefs--and where and when they actually evolved into being.

For example, there are Christian denominations that truly believe that mankind had a debt to pay to God for our transgressions--and someone had to pay, and the debt (past, present, future) has been paid in full. The problem I have with this is that Jesus never spoke of us owing a debt to God. He never spoke of having to pay down such a debt for us with his life. A couple of Biblical books note that nothing should be added to that book--nor taken away. I think that is good advice for all books and all experiences.

Personally, I believe Jesus to be the Son of God. I know that Jews can have no part of that. Even so, I do wish that every Jew could see and appreciate what Jesus did for the poor of his own time, and how he stood against the ones in power that any Jew would be proud to stand against. This, in the same way that many Catholics would be proud to stand against a few of our past Popes.

It is amazing how so called Christians bring up this passage to support the narrative about Jesus, but at the same time completely ignore 11th and 12th paragraphs which completely refute the absurd idea of Jesus' divinity.

There is no contradiction to Christ's divinity. 11 says that he works only as per God, which He Himself says in the Gospels too. And 12 says that He is the Giver. Nothing extraordinary.
Yeah, 'my rightful servant' and 'I will give him a portion among the great' clearly show that here is said about the 'son' of God who is equal with the Father, right?
The Messiah took on the cloak of a servant (human form). HE came to be born, live and then die for our transgressions and arise triumphant. GOD the Father now can view those that are born-again, through the MESSIAH, as without sin. That is because the MESSIAH is without sin.
Well, that is about a Christian notion about Christ being a perfect sacrificed 'lamb' which purifies the sins of mankind. But this 'sacrifice' turns upside down the very idea of offered sacrifices and doesn't make sense.
The sacrifices once offered by the priests in the Temple at Jerusalem were only a precursor --- a representation of things to come. They also demonstrated that without the shedding of blood there can be no remission for sin. This all pointed to the coming MESSIAH. The Jews were supposed to enlighten the world; unfortunately, they kept everything to themselves and the rest of the world (including themselves) moved into the darkness.

Yes.
The Tribe of Levi.
Who are these Levites?

Okay, if that's what you say. If you want to identify Levites by their surnames, that's your prerogative, I suppose. I'll just satisfy myself that you will not answer my question.

Are these priests sacrificing animals? Are they stoning women to death for adultery? Are they maintaining absolute holiness on the temple mount?

No matter. You haven't changed my mind. It all came to an end: the priesthood, the alter, ark, and other elements in the Holy of Holies, the temple, the genealogy, the Law, tribal distinctions, Judea itself. All of it.

It's not my problem that you have been inundated with verses out of context.

Are these priests sacrificing animals
You didn't know that The Temple is a restaurant?
That's what it is?
Have you stopped eating meat?

Are they stoning women to death for adultery?
Take a few years to learn the laws of testimony and what it takes to become a judge capable of adjuvating such a case and find out that it is almost impossible to find someone guilty of an act rendering one liable to the death penalty.

Christianity is good for administering the Death Penalty because all the factors required by the Torah were tossed out the window to allow the Romans to torture and murder at their pleasure.

Are they maintaining absolute holiness on the temple mount?
Ask the Muslim.

Take a few years to learn the laws of testimony and what it takes to become a judge capable of adjuvating such a case and find out that it is almost impossible to find someone guilty of an act rendering one liable to the death penalty.
You mean the Jews are banning guns and letting people get away with murder? That's old, and that's been going on for a long time, too.

The sacrifices once offered by the priests in the Temple at Jerusalem were only a precursor --- a representation of things to come.

No. These practices began after the death of Moses who said that the people would turn aside from the way he taught to follow the law and defile themselves with the work of human hands.

Every time Jesus upbraided the priesthood and temple worship he was fulfilling the laws demands for the sacrifice of a he-goat 'without blemish' for the remission of sins, no temple required for those living in the sanctuary of God which is not made by human hands anymore than divine providence is.

He slaughtered the beast, trimmed the meat from the fat, the truth from bullshit, and everyone in attendance feasted.

The only thing about the law that became obsolete after the revelation of Jesus was the wrong way to follow the law.

Last edited:

Yes.
The Tribe of Levi.
Who are these Levites?

It's not my problem that you have been inundated with verses out of context.

Are these priests sacrificing animals
You didn't know that The Temple is a restaurant?
That's what it is?
Have you stopped eating meat?

Christianity is good for administering the Death Penalty because all the factors required by the Torah were tossed out the window to allow the Romans to torture and murder at their pleasure.

Are they maintaining absolute holiness on the temple mount?
Ask the Muslim.
The temple is a restaurant.

Okay. A small part of me tells me that you're serious.

Read about the rite from start to finish. Part is given to God. Part is given to priests and the people bringing the sacrifice. In other words, the entire community partakes of the sacrifice. "Restaurant" is one way of putting it, a picnic might be another. However, the serious or devout aspects of the rite remain.

Read about the rite from start to finish. Part is given to God. Part is given to priests and the people bringing the sacrifice. In other words, the entire community partakes of the sacrifice. "Restaurant" is one way of putting it, a picnic might be another. However, the serious or devout aspects of the rite remain.
Yea, I guess. The temple was a veritable marketplace. Or meat market, perhaps. Even the poor could afford to buy pigeons there to sacrifice (Jn 2:16). It did not resemble a house of worship. No wonder Jesus' indignation at it.

At any rate, those priests are gone. Melchizedek's Priesthood has supplanted Aaron's Priesthood.

A change in the priesthood necessitated a change in the law (Heb 7:12), and Christ changed the priesthood, being a high priest not of the order of Aaron but of Melchizedek, who was not just a high priest but also a king. Melchizedek encountered Abraham while both a king and a priest (Gn 14:18). As his reign predated Torah, the law then was not Torah. And as Melchizedek was not a Levitical priest, he had no genealogy as such, i.e., no priestly lineage (Heb 7:3). He did not inherit his post; God specially appointed him to the estate. Similarly, Jesus had no genealogy, his mother being of the tribe of Judah and his father being God. And without his own posterity to inherit the post, he reigns forever as king and high priest with any who join the fold by adoption (2 Tm 2:12; Rv 5:10).

Yea, I guess. The temple was a veritable marketplace. Or meat market, perhaps. Even the poor could afford to buy pigeons there to sacrifice (Jn 2:16). It did not resemble a house of worship. No wonder Jesus' indignation at it.
The Temple was about God in the midst of community. The Temple Mount had market places (as you call them), places where teaching and debate were held, sacred places where only priests were allowed entry, places of worship. Take a closer look at the Temple plans. It is quite likely Jesus was not objecting to the open market place. There was a small place, off to the side of the place where animals were permitted to be sold. Imagine during Passover, the throngs that were gathered in this area. Then picture this other place, closer to the place of worship where a few greedy Temple officials were basically whispering, "Psst! Instead of waiting in this long line, come along over here, and for a fee, we can get you taken care of in no time. This was the den of thieves, making money off the poor, and they were none too concerned that some of the animals were making their way into a more sacred place.

In other words, in the designated area, were the majority of honest Jews and money changers doing their best to help their fellow Jews. In a more out-of-the-way place were those (of any and all ages and cultures) ready to line their pockets, and those who could afford it, avoided waiting their turn. These were the ones Jesus more than likely launched his protest and hurled his accusations. In a place of worship, during a holy time, Jews should not have been taking advantage of their fellow Jews.

A change in the priesthood necessitated a change in the law (Heb 7:12), and Christ changed the priesthood, being a high priest not of the order of Aaron but of Melchizedek, who was not just a high priest but also a king. Melchizedek encountered Abraham while both a king and a priest (Gn 14:18). As his reign predated Torah, the law then was not Torah. And as Melchizedek was not a Levitical priest, he had no genealogy as such, i.e., no priestly lineage (Heb 7:3). He did not inherit his post; God specially appointed him to the estate. Similarly, Jesus had no genealogy, his mother being of the tribe of Judah and his father being God. And without his own posterity to inherit the post, he reigns forever as king and high priest with any who join the fold by adoption (2 Tm 2:12; Rv 5:10).
Keep in mind Jesus did not change the Jewish priesthood. He was not of the line of Levi or Aaron. He was a priest in the order of Melchizedek, who was of no priestly line either. Christ (or Christos) means anointed, and we Christians believe Jesus was anointed for a particular purpose, one which he fulfilled.

You mean the Jews are banning guns and letting people get away with murder? That's old, and that's been going on for a long time, too.
Assimilated Jews are bleeding heart jackasses.

In the Land of Israel under Torah Law...
The onus of proof of a capital case for Jews is much greater than that for non-Jews.
Jews have to observe 613 realms of law.
Non-Jews have to observe 7 realms of law.
The less the onus, the more one is obligated to pay the price.

Then welcome that part of Christianity. I see the greatest problem facing all people of all faiths and denominations is the readiness to tell others what they "really" believe. The second greatest problem is the lack of time (and sometimes inclination) to delve more deeply into our beliefs--and where and when they actually evolved into being
I dont tell others what they believe. What I say is based on what Christians say they believe. My version of Christianity would disavow the main doctrine of the Christian faith and wouldn't be a 'Christianity' per se.

Forum List

Back