🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Israel's ultra-Orthodox suddenly are outsiders

Jroc

יעקב כהן
Oct 19, 2010
Michigan
This is a good thing I love ultra-religious Jews, but they have to contribute more to society than the study of Torah alone.

JERUSALEM (AP) — As Israel's new government takes shape, the country's powerful ultra-Orthodox Jewish political parties seem poised to find themselves in unfamiliar territory — the parliamentary opposition — instead of their traditional seats around the Cabinet table.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's two new potential partners pledge to end a system in which the ultra-Orthodox have used political clout to win generous government subsidies, evade compulsory military service and attempt to impose their conservative social mores.

In recent decades, ultra-Orthodox parties have used this kingmaker status to secure vast budgets for their religious schools and seminaries that teach students about Judaism but very little math, English or science. Tens of thousands of young ultra-Orthodox males are granted exemptions from military service in order to pursue their religious studies, and older men collect welfare stipends while continuing to study full time.

The system has led to high rates of unemployment and poverty in the ultra-Orthodox community. It also has bred widespread resentment among the secular and modern Orthodox publics, and it became the central issue in January parliamentary elections.

Lapid, whose parliamentary faction includes two modern Orthodox rabbis, has said he does not oppose religion or the religious. Instead, he says all healthy adults should work, and that it is not the government's responsibility to subsidize full-time religious study. Modern Orthodox Jews follow the commandments of the religion while taking part in Israel's general society, working and serving in the military.

Israel's ultra-Orthodox suddenly are outsiders - NewsTimes

Ultra-Orthodox to feel the blow as unprecedented power in Israeli government ends

There were more Haredi MKS in the government that ended Sunday than any since Israel was founded in 1948; the change will be significant in education funding, and their loss of the health and interior ministries.

Ultra-Orthodox Knesset members have been coalition partners in most governments since Israel was founded in 1948, and in almost every government since Likud first came to power in 1977. However, the Haredi presence in the government that ended...

Ultra-Orthodox to feel the blow as unprecedented power in Israeli government ends Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper

Jroc, it is not about Ultra Orthodox outside.

It's about Shas, the party of ultra orthodox, outside.

Shas is insisting on keeping the Ultra Orthodox people isolated, uninvolved and the be great Periah part of Israel, by keep telling the other part of the country (The other 4 million) that they will not work, serve, or contribute to society because it's against the idea of dedicating themselves completely to Torah study.

I have Ultra Orthodox relatives, but they cannot find themselves in Shas, because they went to the army and work and hang with seculars- evewrything Shas insisted that a Haredi man or woman should never do.

As long as Shas will represent the part of endless corruption and bigotry,and convey those to their public, the Seculars in Israel, AND the religious Zionists, will continue see them as outsiders. And that is to bad, because KNOWING many ultra orthodox, I know they are great people, who are stuck in a system that they cannot leave out of fear. And they can contribute SO much because they are wise and kind, and they need great leaders to push them FORWARD, not BACK

Last edited:

Shas is insisting on keeping the Ultra Orthodox people isolated, uninvolved and the be great Periah part of Israel, by keep telling the other part of the country (The other 4 million) that they will not work, serve, or contribute to society because it's against the idea of dedicating themselves completely to Torah study.

I have Ultra Orthodox relatives, but they cannot find themselves in Shas, because they went to the army and work and hang with seculars- evewrything Shas insisted that a Haredi man or woman should never do.

As long as Shas will represent the part of endless corruption and bigotry,and convey those to their public, the Seculars in Israel, AND the religious Zionists, will continue see them as outsiders. And that is to bad, because KNOWING many ultra orthodox, I know they are great people, who are stuck in a system that they cannot leave out of fear. And they can contribute SO much because they are wise and kind, and they need great leaders to push them FORWARD, not BACK

Of course I know all ultra-orthodox are not Shia party, I guess I was just making a generalization, my mistake. I attend an ultra orthodox shul myself even though I'm am not. I don’t really get Shias philosophy of not working and no military service, it doesn’t make much sense to me. You can't have Torah study without the security to be able to do so. They have to support themselves, they can’t expect others to be forced to do it for them... Anyway Jews are Jews secular or religious they're all Jews

Rabbi Akiva said himself that Torah studying is welcomed only with hard work. He used to work for 40 years for his father in law, owned his bread with sweat. That what the followers is his Torah should do as well!

Of course I know all ultra-orthodox are not Shia party, I guess I was just making a generalization, my mistake. I attend an ultra orthodox shul myself even though I'm am not. I don’t really get Shias philosophy of not working and no military service, it doesn’t make much sense to me. You can't have Torah study without the security to be able to do so. They have to support themselves, they can’t expect others to be forced to do it for them... Anyway Jews are Jews secular or religious they're all Jews

Of course:)

Forum List

Back