Israel's War Against Hamas - Updates

Many of you are demanding a cease-fire. I can understand why.

I too mourn the loss of innocent life, especially the children. The loss of entire families in Gaza fills me with grief. I have supported peace my whole life.

But I am not ready to advocate for a cease-fire. And I have some questions for you about why you think you should.

I am struck by the fact that while calls for a cease-fire are loud, few seem to have any clarity about what conditions a cease-fire should require. Hamas’ record with cease-fires is less than reassuring: Just weeks ago Hamas broke a cease-fire in order to launch a horrific attack on Israeli civilians during a national holiday. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton recently said that a cease-fire would be a “gift” to Hamas, as they would only use it to rebuild and repair their capacity to launch attacks. And senior Hamas officials have openly said they aim to repeat these terror attacks “over and over” until “Israel is destroyed.”

Whatever you think of Israel’s actions, it is unreasonable and unjust to ask Israel to unilaterally disarm after being victims of the deadliest day of violence against Jews since the Holocaust — especially in the face of such threats.

Have you so quickly forgotten that Hamas launched this war by massacring close to 1,400 Israelis in an unprovoked attack that targeted innocent civilians? Hamas massacred children in their beds, slaughtered music lovers at a celebration of peace, used rape as a weapon of war, and kidnapped at least one elderly Holocaust survivor to use as a hostage, as well as dozens of children.

Don’t Israeli victims of terror deserve justice too? Isn’t the least we can give them a pledge to do everything we can to ensure no one else suffers atrocities at Hamas’ hands — a pledge that a cease-fire with Hamas might make difficult to uphold?

So: What concession would you argue must Hamas face in order to secure a cease-fire, both in acknowledgment of the horror they’ve inflicted on Israel, and to ensure the group would actually observe such an agreement? Would you demand Hamas surrender? Agree to extradite its leadership to stand trial? Free hostages taken from Israel? Hold elections — a basic democratic responsibility it has refused to fulfill time and again?

If Israel agrees to a cease-fire, will my friends on the left finally hold Hamas accountable on the international stage — for their crimes against Israelis and Palestinians alike?

I’ll remind you that you repeatedly chant that “Palestinian lives matter” — but where have your voices been as Hamas has executed and tortured Palestinians, set Palestinians up to be used as human shields, and used a fortune in international aid money to fund weapons to use against Israel rather than basic humanitarian systemsfor the territory they govern? Will your call for care for Palestinian lives finally include accountability for the terror group that has destroyed so many of them?

Or do Palestinian lives only matter to you when you can dehumanize Jews?

Perhaps most importantly: How will you reckon with Israel’s clear need to defend itself — a need more apparent now than any time in recent decades?

For the past 20 years parts of the American left have decried every single Israeli security measure as unjust and racist. Every wall is apartheid, every fence is oppression, every checkpoint is racism. Israel’s blockade, enacted after Hamas violently seized control of the Gaza strip in 2007, creates an “open-air prison.” I must have heard that phrase a thousand times, and I still have no idea what it means. Even the Iron Dome, which does not harm Palestinians and saves Israeli lives, you wanted to defund.

Remember when you assured me that those rockets were just falling in fields and would never do real harm? You were wrong. Not only have the rockets gotten worse, but we now know Hamas can and will launch mass atrocities against Israel. If you oppose every attempt to keep Israelis safe, you are sending the message that Jewish blood is cheap — and encouraging groups like Hamas, which explicitly treat it as such.

The fact that cease-fire calls have focused almost exclusively on Israel shows me that there is a deep antisemitic rot within the left that has conditioned people to view Jewish lives as less important. American leftists have minimized Israeli losses, dehumanized Israelis, endorsed violence and inflamed the conflict with outlandish rhetoric for years. You wanted to “globalize the intifada.” Every time you yelled these things you damaged efforts to build peace.

You have used your rhetoric to erase the existence of Mizrahi Jews, Ethiopian Jews and other Jews of color to claim that Israel is an entirely white state populated by European colonizers. You ignored Jews’ clear claims of indigenousness to the Levant and claimed we were “settler colonialists.” You justified terrorism and worked to demonizeZionism.

When your rhetoric sounds exactly like that of far-right white nationalists, doesn’t that disturb you? From hate crimes in London to violent intimidation at Cooper Union, you have helped to make Jews less safe: Early data shows a 388% increase in incidents of antisemitism since Oct. 7.

American Jews have been a critical part of a strong vibrant left throughout American history. We were at the forefront of the labor movement, marched for civil rights, stood at Stonewall, fought for women’s rights, gay marriage, and much more. I am deeply grateful to those on the left, from elected officials to activists to writers, who have awakened to antisemitism and are standing tall against it. I am deeply grateful to President Biden, who has declined calls for a cease-fire and said he supports a “pause” to provide time to free prisoners, and the leaders across Congress who have stood strong with Israel and stood against rising antisemitism.

I am grateful for those pushing Israel to be the most just and moral it can be, in good faith.

The left is meant to prioritize justice, equality and dignity. You cannot be the left if you endorse authoritarianism, terrorism, and brutality. There should be no space on the left for those attempting to justify, excuse or “contextualize” Hamas’ attack on Israel.

We are stronger together when we fight hate, poverty, cruelty and systemic injustice and oppression. If you look at Jewish children and see combatants that do not deserve defending, your progressive principles are lacking. If your desire to end hate stops when you see a Star of David, you are abandoning those principles to stand with the same bigots we are supposed to fight together. If you cannot allow the horrors of the Simchat Torah massacre to change your perspective, than it is not the pro-Israel Jew who no longer belongs on left. It’s you.

(full article online)

Yes.

Well, yes and no. Of course(!) the residents should self-determine their own future. Here's the problem, the future they've built for themselves is one of jihad and butchery. That's a problem. Yes, I know you are going to make the "not all Gazans" argument. Of course(!) not all Gazans. BUT ... enough Gazans that it's a problem. The whole point of the mandate system was to provide support and protection until a population could develop the infrastructure and will to self-govern. Gaza (nor the West Bank) has not reached that capability yet. They could. They haven't. And yes, I know, the mandate system was fraught with concepts of imperialism and the demands that others take on a Western worldview. I am entirely sensitive to that. But I can only type so many words in a sitting on this kind of platform. And there are very few who are interested in my words at any rate.

I’m interested in your words (though may not agree), and appreciate the effort you put into it! l do feel the mandate and that history has become a bit of a rabbit hole that I don’t think it is applicable to solving today’s problems.

In terms of the West Bank especially you can’t exclude Israel’s role in the failures due its policies. Gaza as well. To refuse to allow the Gazan’s back would signal two things.

It would tell the world that Israel’s underlying intent was to take more land (as is happening in the West Bank) and remove the troublesome native population (many of whom were already displaced from Nakhba). This happened once, to do it again would not only be morally wrong, it would tarnish Israel’s legitimacy in the international community for a long time.

It would also hugely inflame tensions and most likely end the ongoing normalization of relations between Israel and It’s Arab neighbors (and wouldn’t Iran just love that!).

It is hard to be dispassionate about this. People have strong ties to their homelands and in many cases it becomes part of their identity as does diaspora.

Yes. This is a possibility to explore. One distinct advantage would be to remove Israel from the immediate equation, which hopefully, in turn, will lead towards a less ... jihadist ... view of Israel. The people of Gaza could avert blame to Japan, or Ireland, or Germany.
Agree.

There are some serious drawbacks. Israel would have to trust that Japan, Ireland, Germany (or whichever countries) would protect them. And seems, at best, unrealistic, in the foreseeable future. What if Gaza should rise up against their oppressors? And Japan, Ireland, and Germany are bringing back their diplomats, and their businessmen, and their officials in body bags? Will those countries be able to stay the course? Will those countries have the fortitude to go street-by-street and house-by-house to root out Hamas jihadis? Especially under international pressure? Israel does it because her survival depends on it. Why would Japan, or Ireland, or Germany? See that has ALWAYS been the problem with international peacekeeping.

I think the countries involved must include neighboring countries such as Egypt and Jordan, possibly Saudi Arabia who have a vested interest in keep Hamas out and Israel needs to be part of it as well. Israel’s security is a major concern, but so too is finally addressing the valid needs and rights of the Palestinians rather than excluding them from the process (as was done under the prior US administration and was being done with negotiations with the Saudis).

Agreed.

Agreed. But, assuming it is the BEST solution ... how could they be convinced to contribute?
Good question. We need the equivalent of a Marshall plan, tailored to the Middle East.

I’m interested in your words (though may not agree), and appreciate the effort you put into it! l do feel the mandate and that history has become a bit of a rabbit hole that I don’t think it is applicable to solving today’s problems.

In terms of the West Bank especially you can’t exclude Israel’s role in the failures due its policies. Gaza as well. To refuse to allow the Gazan’s back would signal two things.

It would tell the world that Israel’s underlying intent was to take more land (as is happening in the West Bank) and remove the troublesome native population (many of whom were already displaced from Nakhba). This happened once, to do it again would not only be morally wrong, it would tarnish Israel’s legitimacy in the international community for a long time.

It would also hugely inflame tensions and most likely end the ongoing normalization of relations between Israel and It’s Arab neighbors (and wouldn’t Iran just love that!).

It is hard to be dispassionate about this. People have strong ties to their homelands and in many cases it becomes part of their identity as does diaspora.

Agree.

I think the countries involved must include neighboring countries such as Egypt and Jordan, possibly Saudi Arabia who have a vested interest in keep Hamas out and Israel needs to be part of it as well. Israel’s security is a major concern, but so too is finally addressing the valid needs and rights of the Palestinians rather than excluding them from the process (as was done under the prior US administration and was being done with negotiations with the Saudis).

Good question. We need the equivalent of a Marshall plan, tailored to the Middle East.
Coyote,

Seriously Enough with this "taking more land" applied to Israel. Enough of the allegations of Israel wanting to ethnically cleanse Gaza and Judea and Samaria of the Muslims there. Get beyond that and deal with the facts.

It is this kind of baseless allegations which keep fueling the hatred of Muslims, especially the terrorists and the BDS movement, against Israel's very existence.

All of Israel is declared "stolen Palestinian land".
The PLO was founded in 1964 to liberate what was then Israel, before the 1967 war and the lands Egypt and Jordan lost for wanting to destroy Israel back then.

Please, enough.....of these endless learned allegations of Israel this and Israel that.

The Oslo Accords were signed. The PA did not follow it one bit. Instead of homicidal attacks on Jews, today we would have had two people living together. And no wall to keep the homicide bombs out.

Does Israel make some mistakes, of course.

What mistakes do you see that the PA has made? Any responsibility for the situation on Judea and Samaria in areas A and B, since they have no intention of honoring the Oslo Accords to do away with the hate education the schools still provide.

No peace can ever be achieved with Gaza or the PA as long as there is even ONE word of stolen land and hatred for Jews and the destruction of Israel as it has been going on since 1920. That is simply not possible.

Root out the cause of the problem, as I have said before.

1) Dismantle UNWRA
2) Get real leaders who will follow the Oslo Accords.
3) Keep Iran from using those people as proxies, including Hezbollah

Too many things, one by one needs to happen with time. But the EDUCATION of Hatred MUST GO !

I’m interested in your words (though may not agree), and appreciate the effort you put into it!
Thank you. And ditto!
In terms of the West Bank especially you can’t exclude Israel’s role in the failures due its policies.
Israel's failure to do WHAT, exactly?
Gaza as well. To refuse to allow the Gazan’s back would signal two things.

It would tell the world that Israel’s underlying intent was to take more land (as is happening in the West Bank) and remove the troublesome native population (many of whom were already displaced from Nakhba).
Oh, no. No. No. No. No. Hard to the no. This is all a land grab?! The actual F? After the events of October 7? That Israel's intent is to take a few more square miles of land?! Oh, thank the sweet baby JC, they slaughtered 1400 of our innocent civilians and abducted another 245. This is exactly what we needed to take that tiny sliver of land.

Israel's intent: and seriously, all the Jews of the world are screaming, "Never again is now!" (As they should.) Israel's intent is that they not live next to a butchering, savage, jihadi entity (ahem government) who demands the slaughter of Jews as a condition to "peace".
This happened once, to do it again would not only be morally wrong, it would tarnish Israel’s legitimacy in the international community for a long time.
If the "international community" won't support Israel's survival, is there any choice but to fight for it?
Meh. Not convinced at this point. The unity of the Arab world is starting to crack. With excellent reason. They don't want jihadis on their borders, or within their borders, any more than Israel does.
I think the countries involved must include neighboring countries such as Egypt and Jordan, possibly Saudi Arabia who have a vested interest in keep Hamas out and Israel needs to be part of it as well.
Sure.
Israel’s security is a major concern, but so too is finally addressing the valid needs and rights of the Palestinians rather than excluding them from the process.
Palestinians would be well served by addressing their own needs. They are the first that need to choose pro-Palestine, rather than anti-Israel. Right now, after October 7, Israel isn't going to think about anything other than its own security. Which is right. Palestinians need to step up.

So, let's talk about the "valid needs and rights of the Palestinians". What are those?

No, I agree with Sixties here. There are no unresolved refugee issues that Israel is responsible for solving. UNWRA needs to be dismantled. This unending counting of the refugees under circumstances that apply ONLY to Israel must not be allowed to continue. International law must apply to everyone equally. Any person who remains in the territory, that is: within the borders of the Mandate of Palestine is - by definition - not a refugee. Any person who has obtained citizenship (or should have obtained citizenship) in another state is - by definition - not a refugee.

So how does it apply only to Israel? There are ongoing refugee camps that are older than the Palestinians and they are still counted as refugees.

The problem with refugees and camps and asylum-seekers and migrants - worldwide - is a MUCH bigger issue. I don't believe it can be solved by the current understanding of international law. But the law must apply to everyone equally. Israel can't be singled out.

Yes. I'm certain they will. This is a difficult and delicate subject. Perhaps too much so for this mode of communication. But it is a very different worldview.

Well, why would any nation take that on? Why does any nation accept refugees? Or not?

The reality is that there is no guarantee the people of Gaza will be permitted to return. Why? Because we can't permit Hamas to fester again. We can't allow people sympathetic to Hamas, to jihad, to "from the river to the sea, by any means necessary" return to Gaza. That is a hard nope. Otherwise, we will just be asking ourselves the very same questions next year, or the year after, or ten years from now. After more people are dead.

I don’t agree. Forcing them out of their homeland yet again is a crime. What next then, expel the inconvenient West Bank Palestinians? Unlike some of these other refugee situations there is the argument that Israel also wants more land, specifically what was once historic Israel. Yes, security is relevant, but the other is a contributing factor.

Sooo…hard nope from me as well.

Is it possible to screen the returnees? Permit only those willing to work towards peace living in an independent state side-by-side with Israel? How could we screen them effectively? What if we get it wrong? How do we counter-educate the children? Would we permit willing Jewish residents to foster a sense of trust and mutual respect?
Counter education is an interesting question. What leads to this level of hate? It isn’t just a matter of what they are taught, it is what makes them receptive to it. Poverty, economic collapse, joblessness, instability, lack of agency, no future and no foreseeable change.

Maybe addressing those factors first will create a society more open to other ideas and educational changes from within. Higher education also tends to broaden perspectives. Economic stability, security, employment and cross cultural activities. Nothing will happen quickly.

On your last question, absolutely, but it is going to take a generational change, at least to build trust for both.

Well, a lot of ethnic cleansing, and mutual population exchange has occurred in the world. Sometimes, with great success. I don't think this is as evil as it is made out to be. (And it does seem to only be considered evil when Israel does it. No one bats an eye at all the Jew-free places in the world.)

Oh? You must of have missed the massive amount of eye batting over Russia’s ethnic cleansing in the Ukraine territories it has taken, or the Chinese ethnic cleansing of Uighurs or Myanmar’s ethnic cleansing of the Rohinga. As Jew free places, you are talking about countries that expelled their Jewish populations 50 or more years ago. That is not something that can altered now (though I DO think those who were expelled deserve compensation for the property that was taken). You are also talking about countries that are not exactly democratic, do not share the same western values in regards to human rights or international law. Is Israel to be in that category? Over and over we are reminded that Israel is the democracy in the Middle East, a shining city on a hill. That has frequently underlain arguments for our steadfast support of it. How exactly does the forced expulsion of a native population fit with that?

Sure. I absolutely agree. This is why we need a solution, and a drastic change to the status quo.
Glad we agree on that :)

So how does it apply only to Israel? There are ongoing refugee camps that are older than the Palestinians and they are still counted as refugees.
You'd have to give me examples, in order for me to address that fully. And differentiate between refugees and stateless persons. There are people who have been kept deliberately stateless. Not the same.

Israel is facing all-too-predictable global pressure to scale back its military operation in Gaza to spare innocent lives and prevent a regional conflict that could draw in Iran, the United States, and other nations.

But critics have it backward. Those concerned about human rights and those seeking peace should be rooting for Israel’s full-scale destruction of Hamas—however long it takes or bloody it becomes. That may sound harsh, but it’s the only path to more human rights and more peace for both Israelis and Palestinians.

On human rights, Israelis deserve to live without fear of rocket attack, infiltration, and slaughter from across their border. But Gaza’s two million Palestinians also deserve peace as well as the prospect of a better life—both of which will remain elusive not because they live next to Israel but because they live under Hamas.

Hamas, the Palestinian branch of the Muslim Brotherhood movement, seized control of Gaza from the Palestinian Authority in a violent coup in 2007 and has ruled it since with an iron fist. It allows no elections; permits no free press; arrests, beats, and tortures its critics; and murders those suspected of collaborating, or seeking peace, with Israel.

-----
First and foremost, Israel’s destruction of Hamas would send a strong signal to Iran, which has providedhundreds of millions of dollars as well as weapons and military training for the group since the 1990s, trained hundreds of Hamas fighters in the weeks leading up to the group’s October 7 slaughter of more than 1,400 Israelis, and has since recruited Iranian men and boys to fight alongside Hamas.

After empowering its terrorist proxy in Gaza, Iran is now unleashing militant groups to attack U.S. forces in the region, threatening to attack Israeli and U.S. interests directly if the Jewish state continues its ground operations, and raising prospects that Hezbollah (its leading terrorist proxy) will step in as well.

Anything short of Hamas’ destruction will encourage Tehran to pursue its expansionist agenda across the region further.

While continuing to support Israel as global opposition mounts, Washington should (1) abandon efforts to nourish U.S.-Iranian rapprochement because they surely lead Tehran to question U.S. resolve and (2) impose the harshest possible financial and other sanctions on the regime, its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, and key individuals.

Second, Israel’s destruction of Hamas would give pause to Moscow, which just hosted a meeting with top officials from Hamas and Iran, is building stronger military and economic ties to Tehran, and is watching events unfold in the Middle East and drawing conclusions about the major players.

(full article online)

Hamas was the majority in the Palestinian Authority.
:290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final::290968001256257790-final:

Forum List

Back