It appears the experts were correct, The USA does throw half its food away.

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Reading the news reports of farmers/ranchers are killing off piglets, gassing entire pens of chickens, milk producers dumping milk, produce in the fields being plowed under ect..ect.. because no where to sell them to restaurants or schools.

People are not starving, so the question is , what the hell?

‘You can’t turn off a cow:’ Milk market dries up without schools, restaurants
BY BRIGITTE RUTHMAN Republican-American
April 7, 2020

CANAAN – Just as the bleakness of four years of low milk prices seemed poised to edge dairy farmers into a profitable range, coronavirus changed the landscape overnight to one of survival for 850 members of the AgriMark Dairy Cooperative throughout New England and New York.

Prices are dropping like a rock. In some places, milk is being dumped.

It’s a familiar refrain for dairy farmers who have managed to find profits by improving efficiency and tapping wider markets. But this time is different. More than a third of dairy industry markets vanished overnight as COVID-19 shuttered restaurants, schools and businesses that use dairy as an ingredient for everything from school lunches and pizza toppings to animal feed. Predictions of nearly $20 per hundredweight for bulk milk have evaporated into a 25% drop.

“It’s a tsunami,” said James “Cricket” Jacquier, whose tasks as newly appointed chairman of AgriMark suddenly include the very salvation of the dairy industry.

....if you ever read about WW2, you would be grateful for just about everything--''especially'' food....I tell my kids to eat everything on their plate...sometimes there's a '''tiny'' spoonful of food left in the pot-- I tell them that's a lot of food ..I hate wasting food
....Americans waste a lot of food.....
...the shutdown is a big web of shutdowns --like a snowball rolling down a hill

Victory Gardens....my father always planted corn/tomatoes every year
that corn was the best I ever tasted..I would eat just corn for dinner
1587217981385.png

...when I was in the USMC, in the barracks, milk was a ''delicacy'' because we didn't have refrigerators --so when the roach coach came, I grabbed 2 milks and relished it

Our local producers of veggies and fruits are selling to the public with drive throughs at $10 a mixed box, which they will put in your trunk, which averages something like 20 lbs worth. Everyone should check their local areas.
How do you find them?

To me, what isn't being handed out to students these days due to the schools being closed should be given to a food bank instead for the time being.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

To me, what isn't being handed out to students these days due to the schools being closed should be given to a food bank instead for the time being.

God bless you always!!!

Holly
I saw a dairy farmer talking about this and he said the food banks dont have a way to disperse a tanker full of raw milk to those that need it besides they cant package raw milk and being illegal to sell raw milk,,,

their problem is getting the ingredients to process it into something they can sell,,,

....if you ever read about WW2, you would be grateful for just about everything--''especially'' food....I tell my kids to eat everything on their plate...sometimes there's a '''tiny'' spoonful of food left in the pot-- I tell them that's a lot of food ..I hate wasting food
....Americans waste a lot of food.....
...the shutdown is a big web of shutdowns --like a snowball rolling down a hill
There is waste, that's true. Our laws, however, dictate that we waste a lot of food. I saw a cooking show where the chefs had to prepare a 5 star meal from garbage. They were able to find a lot of quality ingredients that the farmers and stores literally were not allowed to sell, but were perfectly fine to use. Our laws are based on the idea that no one should ever get sick from bad food, so we end up throwing away good stuff. Waste in the home, OTOH, is a personal issue, and I have a hard time with picky eaters. They drive me crazy.

Reading the news reports of farmers/ranchers are killing off piglets, gassing entire pens of chickens, milk producers dumping milk, produce in the fields being plowed under ect..ect.. because no where to sell them to restaurants or schools.

April 7, 2020

CANAAN – Just as the bleakness of four years of low milk prices seemed poised to edge dairy farmers into a profitable range, coronavirus changed the landscape overnight to one of survival for 850 members of the AgriMark Dairy Cooperative throughout New England and New York.

It’s a familiar refrain for dairy farmers who have managed to find profits by improving efficiency and tapping wider markets. But this time is different. More than a third of dairy industry markets vanished overnight as COVID-19 shuttered restaurants, schools and businesses that use dairy as an ingredient for everything from school lunches and pizza toppings to animal feed. Predictions of nearly $20 per hundredweight for bulk milk have evaporated into a 25% drop.

“It’s a tsunami,” said James “Cricket” Jacquier, whose tasks as newly appointed chairman of AgriMark suddenly include the very salvation of the dairy industry.

Question is. Who can transport it? Only so many semis. They kept up with it. Now with hoarders, can't keep up like usual.

Our local producers of veggies and fruits are selling to the public with drive throughs at $10 a mixed box, which they will put in your trunk, which averages something like 20 lbs worth. Everyone should check their local areas.
How do you find them?
Ours were listed in the paper, but if you look under your area for farm producers, give them a call or check to see if they have a facebook page where they might list it.
In our county alone with have 6 different ones doing it. We just picked up a box with cabbage, a variety of peppers, zucchini, jalapenos, tomatoes, green beans, corn and cucumbers ((they had run out of blackberries they were including all week), then went to another that offers both fruit and veggies bags. Got a the fruit bag, had driscoll strawberries, a pineapple, bananas, variety of apples, oranges, lemon and limes. Think we will be going back to them for veggies next time even though a little further.
Edited to add what I forgot was in the box.

Last edited:

God bless you always!!!

Holly
Many of the schools are still providing meals for the kids with a drive thru now.

April 7, 2020

Don't worry, DEMONcrats will do it 'right'.The Fake Covid-19 pandemic kills industry and only few food will be thrown away.

Forum List

Back