It has become painfully, even fatally, obvious we have a police problem in this country......

Police officers have ALWAYS been able to be sued personally. It is not new. Title 18 Section 243 IIRC "Denial of Civil Liberties Under Color of Authority" is the relevant piece you want to look up.

NO, they have not, they were covered under THEIR DEPT. in NYC until 2 years ago! BTW what year was that section mandated?

We had three police officers here in Nevada about two years ago who successfully got sued by a guy for wrongfully arresting him and then beating the crap out of him after he was handcuffed.

Getting the "crap" beat out of you by police is nothing new. Hell, in my High School (back in the dark ages) it wasn't uncommon to come to school on Monday and see guys who had mouthed off to cops. In those days, you didn't mouth off to cops. You would "fall up the stairs" on the way to jail ;)

^^^^

You just proved my point

Bullshit. Kicking a punks ass and shooting someone are far different (in case you weren't aware)

That is true. I think the German Police are probably the best at it to. They are very hands off until someone gets so bad that EVERYONE around the asshole would agree they need their ass beat. And that's what happens. How do you think there can be mass quantities of alcohol consumed at Oktoberfest, and yet there is almost no violence?

The idiots know that if they do stupid things they will deserve what they get.

But, it is a very, very fine line that separates brutality from a good, and deserved, ass kicking.

And I believe congress needs to get involved.

First & foremost this is not an excuse for thuggish or criminal behavior. Nor is it a condemnation of police in general.

In the past I have created threads saying that the black community needs to get control of the culture in their inner cities.

Now it is time to recognize that we have a problem in the police community. It has become terribly obvious that temperament & judgment is an issue that the police departments across our nation are not paying a lot of attention to with regard to their hiring practices. So many police shootings seem to be questionable and it usually boils down to judgment. It makes me wonder if the screening process for selecting candidates is adequate. I also wonder if the pay is too low? So low that it attracts too many of the wrong individuals? It's like we just hire whomever applies as long as they pass a back ground check with little regard to their psychological well being or ability to function under extreme stress.
If you watch the video posted to Facebook after this latest shooting you can hear the sheer terror in the officers voice AFTER he had already killed the individual. He sounded like a child who was scared shitless.
Perhaps some nation wide standards could alleviate some of the problems with bad hires. We give these men and women a great deal of power over our daily lives so why not create some rational standards by which we determine who receives that power?

Yeah, get Congress involved. That's a great idea. Because they have so got their shit together...
So you're against setting minimum employment standards for the people who patrol our neighborhoods with authority over all citizens and are armed?

So you are in favor of raping midgets with bipolar disorder? Since we are making ridiculous deductions here.
I'll take your concession that you spoke without thinking or apparently reading the op

First & foremost this is not an excuse for thuggish or criminal behavior. Nor is it a condemnation of police in general.

In the past I have created threads saying that the black community needs to get control of the culture in their inner cities.

Now it is time to recognize that we have a problem in the police community. It has become terribly obvious that temperament & judgment is an issue that the police departments across our nation are not paying a lot of attention to with regard to their hiring practices. So many police shootings seem to be questionable and it usually boils down to judgment. It makes me wonder if the screening process for selecting candidates is adequate. I also wonder if the pay is too low? So low that it attracts too many of the wrong individuals? It's like we just hire whomever applies as long as they pass a back ground check with little regard to their psychological well being or ability to function under extreme stress.
If you watch the video posted to Facebook after this latest shooting you can hear the sheer terror in the officers voice AFTER he had already killed the individual. He sounded like a child who was scared shitless.
Perhaps some nation wide standards could alleviate some of the problems with bad hires. We give these men and women a great deal of power over our daily lives so why not create some rational standards by which we determine who receives that power?

Yeah, get Congress involved. That's a great idea. Because they have so got their shit together...
So you're against setting minimum employment standards for the people who patrol our neighborhoods with authority over all citizens and are armed?

OK, now to your question. No, I am not against setting requirements, but not by the federal government. Each state and local government should do that. Leave it to the federal government, and within 5 years you will have minimum transgender requirements and gays on patrol riding unicorns in rainbow uniforms.

We don't have a "Police problem", we have a federal police problem. When a Police Officer is charged with a crime or investigated and brought to trial or exonerated it means the freaking system works and there is no "Police problem" other than insufficient training. When the federal cops invade a "compound" with freaking tanks and ultimately kill 80 men women and children there is a federal police problem. When the federal cops ship 3,000 illegal weapons to Mexico and lose track of them it is a freaking federal police problem. When the "justice" dept threatens to arrest any civilian who insults a Muslem and the FBI who can't find two terrorists in Boston and fails to recommend indictment for a a high profile politician because she is a democrat we have a big assed federal police problem.

Police officers have ALWAYS been able to be sued personally. It is not new. Title 18 Section 243 IIRC "Denial of Civil Liberties Under Color of Authority" is the relevant piece you want to look up.

NO, they have not, they were covered under THEIR DEPT. in NYC until 2 years ago! BTW what year was that section mandated?

We had three police officers here in Nevada about two years ago who successfully got sued by a guy for wrongfully arresting him and then beating the crap out of him after he was handcuffed.

Getting the "crap" beat out of you by police is nothing new. Hell, in my High School (back in the dark ages) it wasn't uncommon to come to school on Monday and see guys who had mouthed off to cops. In those days, you didn't mouth off to cops. You would "fall up the stairs" on the way to jail ;)

^^^^

You just proved my point

Bullshit. Kicking a punks ass and shooting someone are far different (in case you weren't aware)

No it's not ..it's the same godamn thing jackass to the fucking law.

Look it up sometime

I do some of the printing for the police department here which includes the application packet and the standards you have to pass are pretty high i'm guessing every city probably has their own hiring standards which could be part of the problem.
In my home town in NJ, the standards to become a police officer were pretty simple. Be a town resident. Have a high school diploma or equivalent. Be a lifetime resident or have a long term residence. Know someone in town government. Preferably in the police dept. Or be a relative of a police officer. The officers would train on the job. Now in my home town, a police officer has not fired his weapon on duty in over 80 years. There has been ONE bank robbery in our town since 1962.
Needless to say, being a police officer in my home town is not a hazardous job. However, the officers average about 12 years experience over all.
The point is many small agency PD's have little experience with major crimes. They also have limited experience with high stress situations with potentially deadly consequences.
I think people's perceptions of law enforcement officers comes from movies, television and of course sensationalized news coverage.
If a police officer working a small town detail his or her entire career without so much as having to unholster their weapon, that is a good thing. But that ONE incident with which the officer has little or no real world experience( not the training academy) could end up in tragedy....I think this Minnesota case is one of those type incidents.

Last edited:

I do some of the printing for the police department here which includes the application packet and the standards you have to pass are pretty high i'm guessing every city probably has their own hiring standards which could be part of the problem.
In my home town in NJ, the standards to become a police officer were pretty simple. Be a town resident. Have a high school diploma or equivalent. Be a lifetime resident or have a long term residence. Know someone in town government. Preferably in the police dept. Or be a relative of a police officer. The officers would train on the job. Now in my home town, a police officer has not fired his weapon on duty in over 80 years. There has been ONE bank robbery in our town since 1962.
Needless to say, being a police officer in my home town is not a hazardous job. However, the officers average about 12 years experience over all.
The point is many small agency PD's have little experience with major crimes. They also have limited experience with high stress situations with potentially deadly consequences.
I think people's perceptions of law enforcement officers comes from movies, television and of course sensationalized news coverage.
If a police officer working a small town detail his or her entire career without so much as having to unholster their weapon, that is a good thing. But that ONE incident with which the officer has little or know real world experience( not the training academy) could end up in tragedy....I think this Minnesota case is one of those type incidents.
I bet you live in a very white town.

What the left and the "BLM" crowd doesn't understand is their condemnation of every police shooting of a minority, like Michael Brown, WHICH WAS TOTALLY JUSTIFIED, is turning good people away from law enforcement. People who don't want to be thrown under the bus by politicians for defending themselves. So, the hiring pool gets shallower, and you will have more idiots with guns and badges. It is happening already. I see it in my department.

First & foremos

^^^^

You just proved my point

That is true. I think the German Police are probably the best at it to. They are very hands off until someone gets so bad that EVERYONE around the asshole would agree they need their ass beat. And that's what happens. How do you think there can be mass quantities of alcohol consumed at Oktoberfest, and yet there is almost no violence?

But, it is a very, very fine line that separates brutality from a good, and deserved, ass kicking.
Remind me west all when the Germans have the constitution of the U.S.A.

First & foremos

^^^^

You just proved my point

Never said they did, and I also pointed out the very vine line they tread when they administer their "justice". The one thing I can say is they resort to violence very, very rarely.

If a police officer working a small town detail his or her entire career without so much as having to unholster their weapon, that is a good thing. But that ONE incident with which the officer has little or know real world experience( not the training academy) could end up in tragedy....I think this Minnesota case is one of those type incidents.

Why are you fuckers blaming the cops?

They are human beings they want to go home to their family's like all of us..

We live in a nation of like 300 million

Just be cool to cops plain and simple and they will be cool to you

What "nationwide standard" could be adopted. It's great to say "we need to do something "...but what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have the answers but I would start with some type of psychological testing and not just some multiple choice quiz who's answers can be easily manipulated. Second raise the standards & the pay to attract better candidates.
They do....In New Jersey, the basic law enforcement training consists mostly of psychological analysis of the candidates. This is where most candidates wash out.
The problems Gramps( term used in respect) is that these small town PO's rarely experience high stress potentially life threatening incidents. One can train until the the cows come home, but until they are faced with real world experience no one knows how the incident will turn out...
No police officer leaves their home at the start of a shift thinking about anything but safely reentering their home at the end of their shift.
No police officer WANTS to fire their weapon. No police officer wants to injure or God forbid, kill a citizen.
Most importantly we MUST acknowledge that in very rare cases, police involved shootings are with malice intent. However the vast majority are the result of a horrible and unforeseen chain of events that result in either a Police officer's or a citizen's life being taken.

Well.....the "problem" is concentrated on a small % who shouldn't be cops. Hiring standards have been lowered. So have training standards.

The simple math shows the "problem" isn't widespread. But out of 1,000,000 cops making 14,000,000 arrests per year.....it only takes about 5-10 bad videos per year to make it seem to be a massive problem.

Amercian Police are killing Citizens at a shocking rate. Possibly the most dangerous deadly Police Force on earth.
That is a LIE.....An absolute falsehood. Stop it....
Take your libertarian crap and cram it.

First & foremos

^^^^

You just proved my point

Never said they did, and I also pointed out the very vine line they tread when they administer their "justice". The one thing I can say is they resort to violence very, very rarely.

I remember a time when I tried to kick out a cops back window..I was mad as hell and the cop called for back up..

He called and they dragged me out the cop car.

One cop told me let's go at it.

I said " hell no" and went back into the cop car...

My takeaway on this is we have a media out of control here. The way they sensationalize a few videos of questionable police shootings, as if to deliberately incite certain groups into a frenzy, that goes well beyond yellow journalism. The media has lawyers and knows history, and they also know what professional ethics, prudence and discretion means.

First & foremos
^^^^

You just proved my point

I remember a time when I tried to kick out a cops back window..I was mad as hell and the cop called for back up..

He called and they dragged me out the cop car.

One cop told me let's go at it.

I said " hell no" and went back into the cop car...

The judge was funny he told me he was going to let me out sooner but since I was being an asshole he kept me locked up...

Cops are not the enemy's they are just doing their jobs.

My takeaway on this is we have a media out of control here. The way they sensationalize a few videos of questionable police shootings, as if to deliberately incite certain groups into a frenzy, that goes well beyond yellow journalism. The media has lawyers and knows history, and they also know what professional ethics, prudence and discretion means.
The media did not pull the trigger. The media did not protest. The media did not riot. Stop looking for scapegoats for the problem & focus on the actual problem. People, all of us, are responsible for our own actions regardless of what we see or hear in the media. Period

Why are you fuckers blaming the cops?

They are human beings they want to go home to their family's like all of us..

We live in a nation of like 300 million

Just be cool to cops plain and simple and they will be cool to you
Please indicate where was blaming the cops.....Read my post carefully. Thanks

The media did not pull the trigger. The media did not protest. The media did not riot. Stop looking for scapegoats for the problem & focus on the actual problem. People, all of us, are responsible for our own actions regardless of what we see or hear in the media. Period
I think you missed the point, slow down hoss and take a breath. The media should show a little more restraint and professionalism. The judicial system is the final word here, not you or I on the internet second guessing. These videos shouldn't be shown, and all they DO is incite a backlash against police, and you and the media know it.

Forum List

Back