It says in the contract that passengers can be bumped from overbooked flights

The thing about leaving a couple of seats empty is to make them available for either other employees needing a quick flight or even for emergency flights...both incidences happen all the time. I'm sure a couple of designated empty seats aren't going to break the bank.

Have you flown recently as compared to 20 years ago? The seats are now uncomfortable for even a smaller person. They now have 6 seats across the plane where there used to be 5.

"the fine print" may say they are allowed to remove a paying customer with an assigned seat that he's sitting in already....

But it does not say you can bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity, to do so.

United did not even offer their top dollar cap, to get customers to volunteer before they chose to drag him off....

The so called Friendly Skies Airline is in a world of trouble....as they should be.

Well.... yeah... but United didn't bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity.

The police did, when he refused to move when the officers of the law, told him to get up, and move off the plane.

The moment a police officer tells you to do something, and you refuse.... You lose all my support.

The police officer is the authority. Americans used to have a respect for authority. Parents should teach their kids to respect for authority.

Because I guarantee if I got into this guys house and started cussing a fuss, he'd demand I respect his authority over his home, and wouldn't shed a tear if I got beat up while being removed from his home.

Well... that's not his plane. He doesn't own jack. So up to that point, I'm all on his side, and United sucks, and that was idiotic.

But the moment the police showed up and said he must leave.... he should have shut up, grabbed his crap, and left. No, you deserve what you get when you refuse to obey a police officer. Absolutely. No sympathy whatsoever.
They WERE NOT the Police. They were told by the Police to not wear those jackets they were wearing that said Police....but continued to use them.

OH... The story I read, said airport security. That to me.... is police. Now if they were not police (security), ok that's new information I didn't know. Are you saying Delta non-security personnel did this? I can't see flight attendance, or luggage handlers doing this.

They were Chicago Airport Police.

"the fine print" may say they are allowed to remove a paying customer with an assigned seat that he's sitting in already....

But it does not say you can bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity, to do so.

United did not even offer their top dollar cap, to get customers to volunteer before they chose to drag him off....

The so called Friendly Skies Airline is in a world of trouble....as they should be.

Well.... yeah... but United didn't bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity.

The police did, when he refused to move when the officers of the law, told him to get up, and move off the plane.

The moment a police officer tells you to do something, and you refuse.... You lose all my support.

The police officer is the authority. Americans used to have a respect for authority. Parents should teach their kids to respect for authority.

You advocate that one should submit to authority.

Do you also advocate that one should lay down their guns for tyranny?

The thing about leaving a couple of seats empty is to make them available for either other employees needing a quick flight or even for emergency flights...both incidences happen all the time. I'm sure a couple of designated empty seats aren't going to break the bank.

Have you flown recently as compared to 20 years ago? The seats are now uncomfortable for even a smaller person. They now have 6 seats across the plane where there used to be 5.

All true. Of course that's why the price is now so affordable.

To go from Boston to LA in 1955, was $1000.
Today it's $290.

Planes still drink fuel. Pilots still need salaries. What has changed for the most part, is cramming more people on the flight. That's how you get the cheaper price.

Same with buses by the way. They have crammed far more seats onto the buss.

The airlines did actually try at one point, to advertise more room, as a selling point on a higher fare. But the public wanted a cheaper fare, over the room. The market got what it demanded.

You advocate that one should submit to authority.

Do you also advocate that one should lay down their guns for tyranny?

Of course not. Is "I don't get on this plane" a version of object "tyranny" to you?

If a police officer was to.... demand I shoot a black person... I would fight against that unlawful, unjust order.

We're not talking about anything remotely comparable to that. This a seat... on a plane. He doesn't own the plane. He doesn't own the seat. He doesn't own anything. Nor is he 'owed' anything. Nor is getting off the plane, a horrible injustice or crime against humanity.

Yeah, I'm not going to blindly obey authority if they tell me to beat up my elderly mother. That... is not comparable... to this.

Personally I think all airlines should leave a few seats unbooked....just for incidences like this.
No, they are not required to cut into their profit margin to placate the feelings of unsavory characters who can't honor their contracts.

Actually they were losing money...the DR was a paid passenger that was being bumped by other airline employees.

How much money would they have lost by having to cancel the next morning's flight that would not have a crew?

That's why I think they should have designated empty seats on all flights, so there is room available without bumping anyone

Because I guarantee if I got into this guys house and started cussing a fuss, he'd demand I respect his authority over his home, and wouldn't shed a tear if I got beat up while being removed from his home.

Well... that's not his plane. He doesn't own jack. So up to that point, I'm all on his side, and United sucks, and that was idiotic.

But the moment the police showed up and said he must leave.... he should have shut up, grabbed his crap, and left. No, you deserve what you get when you refuse to obey a police officer. Absolutely. No sympathy whatsoever.
They WERE NOT the Police. They were told by the Police to not wear those jackets they were wearing that said Police....but continued to use them.

OH... The story I read, said airport security. That to me.... is police. Now if they were not police (security), ok that's new information I didn't know. Are you saying Delta non-security personnel did this? I can't see flight attendance, or luggage handlers doing this.

no they were not?

Evans said the officers were ordered in January to take the word "Police" off their jackets in favor of "Security," but that nobody followed through. Millions of people saw the word "Police" on the officers' jackets in the video of Kentucky physician David Dao being dragged off the jet.

There was even confusion among officers about their duties. Jeff Redding, the deputy commissioner of security for the aviation department, said officers are instructed not to board planes unless there's an imminent threat.

The confusion about the security force starts with the fact that airport security in Chicago is handled differently than it is in other big cities such as Los Angeles, New York and Minneapolis. Those cities have sworn, armed airport police officers.

The United flight incident shined a spotlight on Chicago's aviation police. The city has about 200 armed city police officers stationed at the airports along with about 300 aviation officers.

The aviation officers work for the city but not the Police Department, and they earn between $50,000 and $88,000 a year. They are trained at the Police Department academy, but not for as long a period as cadets that become city police officers. They don't carry guns...

Removal of United passenger shines light on airport police

Removing him in such a manner is barbaric and a sign that the culture of violence is alarming in this society.

The guy was in his seat, this should've been solved before boarding and ready to push back.

no they were not?

Evans said the officers were ordered in January to take the word "Police" off their jackets in favor of "Security," but that nobody followed through. Millions of people saw the word "Police" on the officers' jackets in the video of Kentucky physician David Dao being dragged off the jet.

There was even confusion among officers about their duties. Jeff Redding, the deputy commissioner of security for the aviation department, said officers are instructed not to board planes unless there's an imminent threat.

The confusion about the security force starts with the fact that airport security in Chicago is handled differently than it is in other big cities such as Los Angeles, New York and Minneapolis. Those cities have sworn, armed airport police officers.

The United flight incident shined a spotlight on Chicago's aviation police. The city has about 200 armed city police officers stationed at the airports along with about 300 aviation officers.

The aviation officers work for the city but not the Police Department, and they earn between $50,000 and $88,000 a year. They are trained at the Police Department academy, but not for as long a period as cadets that become city police officers. They don't carry guns...

Removal of United passenger shines light on airport police

Ok that cleared it up for me.

Police and Security, and Airport Police, and Airport Security...... to me all of those are exactly the same. Exactly the same.

Where I work right now, we have two burly security guards. Now for the last years, I have never once seen them do anything, but stare at monitors, and check people in and out of the security station.

However, they have the authority to remove, or detain any individual on the premises.

If they ask me to leave... I may ask why, but I'd ask why while I was leaving. I would not struggle, argue or fight it. They are the security officer, and they have authority.

This guy was in the wrong. Period. When a security guard, or airport police, or security staff, or anyone given authority to enforce security, says you are to leave the plane.... YOU LEAVE THE PLANE. The end. Period.

Sorry Care.... Respectfully... I like you, but you are wrong on this one.

Removing him in such a manner is barbaric and a sign that the culture of violence is alarming in this society.

The guy was in his seat, this should've been solved before boarding and ready to push back.

Yeah, pretty much everyone has said that. No airline should kick people off a plane, after they have boarded. That's just not a good way to do it. Bumping them from the flight, before they even get on... or finding some other solution is fine... but you don't go kicking people off, after they have a seat, and their luggage, and so on.

But at the same time, I don't care where you are in the world.... if you are told to get off a plane, and you refuse... and a police officer comes and orders you off a plane, and you refuse....... you are going to get roughed up and removed.

This isn't an American problem... this is universally a human problem. There is no nation, or culture, or people group on this planet, where if you simply refuse to follow orders of those in authority, that nothing happens.

When a person in authority tells you to leave.... you leave. That's all there is to it.

He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit. United was within their rights to bump him from the flight. He broke the law when he refused to leave the plane, and broke the law again when he resisted arrest. United should prosecute him for trespassing.
Hide and watch sweetheart!

it's very hard to believe you are a lawyer or even work in a lawyer's office.
I'm not a storybook character. You cannot transform me into a non-lawyer by "not believing" in me.

He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit. United was within their rights to bump him from the flight. He broke the law when he refused to leave the plane, and broke the law again when he resisted arrest. United should prosecute him for trespassing.

I'm not a storybook character. You cannot transform me into a non-lawyer by "not believing" in me.

Having a little trouble transforming yourself into a competent lawyer too, it seems.

Airlines should just stop overbooking. This is the main issue. They won't have to kick anyone off if it's not overbooked.

Personally I think all airlines should leave a few seats unbooked....just for incidences like this.
No, they are not required to cut into their profit margin to placate the feelings of unsavory characters who can't honor their contracts.

Actually they were losing money...the DR was a paid passenger that was being bumped by other airline employees.

How much money would they have lost by having to cancel the next morning's flight that would not have a crew?

That's why I think they should have designated empty seats on all flights, so there is room available without bumping anyone

Many international airlines do this. But cheap American carriers will never do this.

Having a little trouble transforming yourself into a competent lawyer too, it seems.
Not everyone can have an easy job like you, posting to the internet for the Democrats.

Not everyone can have an easy job like you, posting to the internet for the Democrats.

It's not a job. It's an adventure. Don't worry. You'll probably get better eventually. I can't imagine anyone being so mediocre forever.

It's not a job. It's an adventure. Don't worry. You'll probably get better eventually. I can't imagine anyone being so mediocre forever.
So the Democrats aren't paying you to post their bullshit? Wow, I thought they believed in a minimum wage for all workers. Guess I was wrong.

oh, and his wife who was also on the plane, should sue for the stress she had to go through as well, if she truly was on the plane as was being reported.

The "stress" was caused by him. She should sue her husband.
good luck!

You know you are wrong and you know what you "think" will happen or should happen will NEVER happen.

Don't get me wrong. As I have said numerous times, I think United should not have done this. I think no airline should ever let people on the plane... then try and remove them.

I've said that from the start.

But I don't care if the family is on the plane or not... if a police officer orders you off....... YOU GET OFF.

If they were not security or police.... then I don't get it. But if it was an officer, or security... YOU.... GET.... OFF. Period. No arguing. No complaining. No nothing. GET OFF.
You'll welcome a police state, no doubt.

Dr. Dao is a disgraced medical doctor and his medical license is suspended in Kentucky and most likely over his head in debt. I would have given him more than a broken nose and two broken teeth.

Forum List

Back