It says in the contract that passengers can be bumped from overbooked flights

"the fine print" may say they are allowed to remove a paying customer with an assigned seat that he's sitting in already....

But it does not say you can bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity, to do so.

United did not even offer their top dollar cap, to get customers to volunteer before they chose to drag him off....

The so called Friendly Skies Airline is in a world of trouble....as they should be.

Well.... yeah... but United didn't bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity.

The police did, when he refused to move when the officers of the law, told him to get up, and move off the plane.

The moment a police officer tells you to do something, and you refuse.... You lose all my support.

The police officer is the authority. Americans used to have a respect for authority. Parents should teach their kids to respect for authority.

Because I guarantee if I got into this guys house and started cussing a fuss, he'd demand I respect his authority over his home, and wouldn't shed a tear if I got beat up while being removed from his home.

Well... that's not his plane. He doesn't own jack. So up to that point, I'm all on his side, and United sucks, and that was idiotic.

But the moment the police showed up and said he must leave.... he should have shut up, grabbed his crap, and left. No, you deserve what you get when you refuse to obey a police officer. Absolutely. No sympathy whatsoever.
They WERE NOT the Police. They were told by the Police to not wear those jackets they were wearing that said Police....but continued to use them.

OH... The story I read, said airport security. That to me.... is police. Now if they were not police (security), ok that's new information I didn't know. Are you saying Delta non-security personnel did this? I can't see flight attendance, or luggage handlers doing this.

They were Chicago Airport Police.
Not police at all, they'd been ordered to not wear those jackets.

He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit. United was within their rights to bump him from the flight. He broke the law when he refused to leave the plane, and broke the law again when he resisted arrest. United should prosecute him for trespassing.
Hide and watch sweetheart!

it's very hard to believe you are a lawyer or even work in a lawyer's office.
I'm not a storybook character. You cannot transform me into a non-lawyer by "not believing" in me.

Having a little trouble transforming yourself into a competent lawyer too, it seems.
Not everyone can have an easy job like you, posting to the internet for the Democrats.

[emoji23]
(he essentially admitted that he IS having a little trouble transforming himself into a competent lawyer)
[emoji23]

"the fine print" may say they are allowed to remove a paying customer with an assigned seat that he's sitting in already....

But it does not say you can bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity, to do so.

United did not even offer their top dollar cap, to get customers to volunteer before they chose to drag him off....

The so called Friendly Skies Airline is in a world of trouble....as they should be.

Well.... yeah... but United didn't bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity.

The police did, when he refused to move when the officers of the law, told him to get up, and move off the plane.

The moment a police officer tells you to do something, and you refuse.... You lose all my support.

The police officer is the authority. Americans used to have a respect for authority. Parents should teach their kids to respect for authority.

Because I guarantee if I got into this guys house and started cussing a fuss, he'd demand I respect his authority over his home, and wouldn't shed a tear if I got beat up while being removed from his home.

Well... that's not his plane. He doesn't own jack. So up to that point, I'm all on his side, and United sucks, and that was idiotic.

But the moment the police showed up and said he must leave.... he should have shut up, grabbed his crap, and left. No, you deserve what you get when you refuse to obey a police officer. Absolutely. No sympathy whatsoever.
They WERE NOT the Police. They were told by the Police to not wear those jackets they were wearing that said Police....but continued to use them.

OH... The story I read, said airport security. That to me.... is police. Now if they were not police (security), ok that's new information I didn't know. Are you saying Delta non-security personnel did this? I can't see flight attendance, or luggage handlers doing this.

At almost every airport, there is a police department assigned to handle security functions because the TSA is not allowed to do so. A friend of mi e serves at our major airport. I have seen these people identified as Chicago Aviation police throughout the media. With two major airports, I would think they might be true.

Do you know something they do not, or are you simply making up crap like you normally do when the reality does not meet your agenda?

Well now, we will see how long that remains. But, of course, you corporate butt lickers enjoy seeing thugs beat up on people.

And you are an idiot.....the man was asked repeatedly to leave the aircraft...no force involved, the police came in....law enforcement officers who politely asked him to leave the private property....he refused, twice, and stated he would rather go to jail......

So what the fuck does the airline do when a passenger is refusing to leave their private property? He could have easily left the plane and called his lawyer and filed a law suit.....

He is lucky I won't be on the jury in this case........

Well now, we will see how long that remains. But, of course, you corporate butt lickers enjoy seeing thugs beat up on people.

And you are an idiot.....the man was asked repeatedly to leave the aircraft...no force involved, the police came in....law enforcement officers who politely asked him to leave the private property....he refused, twice, and stated he would rather go to jail......

So what the fuck does the airline do when a passenger is refusing to leave their private property? He could have easily left the plane and called his lawyer and filed a law suit.....

This kind of situation is handled by law enforcement every day. It amounts to a trespassing charge. The person is warned that failure to remove one's self from the premises will lead to a charge of trespassing, which may include imprisonment and a fine. They are also warned that if force is needed for the removal additional more serious charges may be added. The security team, in this case, was incompetent and should probably be charged with assault.

At almost every airport, there is a police department assigned to handle security functions because the TSA is not allowed to do so. A friend of mi e serves at our major airport. I have seen these people identified as Chicago Aviation police throughout the media. With two major airports, I would think they might be true.

Do you know something they do not, or are you simply making up crap like you normally do when the reality does not meet your agenda?
GOOGLE is your friend! Seems like it is YOU who often just makes sh*t up! :rolleyes:

Removal of United passenger shines light on airport police

Evans said the officers were ordered in January to take the word "Police" off their jackets in favor of "Security," but that nobody followed through. Millions of people saw the word "Police" on the officers' jackets in the video of Kentucky physician David Dao being dragged off the jet.

There was even confusion among officers about their duties. Jeff Redding, the deputy commissioner of security for the aviation department, said officers are instructed not to board planes unless there's an imminent threat.

The confusion about the security force starts with the fact that airport security in Chicago is handled differently than it is in other big cities such as Los Angeles, New York and Minneapolis. Those cities have sworn, armed airport police officers.

The United flight incident shined a spotlight on Chicago's aviation police. The city has about 200 armed city police officers stationed at the airports along with about 300 aviation officers.

more reading

Put all airport security in hands of Chicago police

^^^^so what? They were trained officers. They told this guy to get off, after normal attempts failed. Get up and leave, don't try to hug the armrest kick and scream like a 5 year old. Lock him up.

Better PR to make them an offer they can't refuse, than to drag them kicking and screaming down the aisle

I agree.

Up the ante until enough paying passengers accept the offer.

A couple of thoughts directed at comments by others - United policy is just policy, not law. Justifying the removal of passengers who pose a threat to the flight is reasonable - illness, drunkenness, bizarre or threatening behavior, etc.

I have flown as a non-rev on United, and have family members who are United employees who also fly non-rev. Even though there is a 'class' code it is still standby for all - you only get on if there are empty seats. However, they needed to make room, apparently, for a flight crew destined for another city, and another plane.

Overbooking is detestable - but if an airline is going to do that, and also may need to make room for other flight crews on a time constraint - that airline should absolutely offer goodies until someone accepts. If there's nothing else to the story - then I think a settlement, and a review of policy is in order.

^^^^so what? They were trained officers. They told this guy to get off, after normal attempts failed. Get up and leave, don't try to hug the armrest kick and scream like a 5 year old. Lock him up.
they were not allowed on the airplane, as the Security force...only under specific circumstance of imminent danger to others, and this passenger was not.

This kind of situation is handled by law enforcement every day. It amounts to a trespassing charge. The person is warned that failure to remove one's self from the premises will lead to a charge of trespassing, which may include imprisonment and a fine. They are also warned that if force is needed for the removal additional more serious charges may be added. The security team, in this case, was incompetent and should probably be charged with assault.

And the team did that....

Of course not.

But..... if I come to your home, and refuse to leave... I'll likely get beat up if I fight being removed. Am I wrong?
That is a different set of circumstance if you are not paying to be at another person's place. Also other lives are not impacted in a negative way in the event of you getting thrown out on your butt.

God bless you and the man always!!!

Holly

P.S. I believe that the doctor could still have a case since he did absolutely nothing to deserve being ordered to leave in the first place.

I'm not a lawyer and so I won't claim to know where this will go. I don't know if whether the flight being overbooked or not changes the fact that you have to get off the plane if you are asked to get off by a flight crew member.

If I were to guess, whether or not the plane is overbooked is irrelevant. If asked to get off, you have to. There are far more reasons than just overbooked flight that you could be asked to get off the plane. You can't set a precedent where you can start to argue with the flight attendants and flight crew. That will set a dangerous precedent.

GOOGLE is your friend! Seems like it is YOU who often just makes sh*t up! :rolleyes:

Removal of United passenger shines light on airport police

Evans said the officers were ordered in January to take the word "Police" off their jackets in favor of "Security," but that nobody followed through. Millions of people saw the word "Police" on the officers' jackets in the video of Kentucky physician David Dao being dragged off the jet.

There was even confusion among officers about their duties. Jeff Redding, the deputy commissioner of security for the aviation department, said officers are instructed not to board planes unless there's an imminent threat.

The confusion about the security force starts with the fact that airport security in Chicago is handled differently than it is in other big cities such as Los Angeles, New York and Minneapolis. Those cities have sworn, armed airport police officers.

The United flight incident shined a spotlight on Chicago's aviation police. The city has about 200 armed city police officers stationed at the airports along with about 300 aviation officers.

more reading

Put all airport security in hands of Chicago police

The organization is called the Chicago Aviation Police. Google that!

Then, Google your own happy ass to find some respect for others.

Just sayin'...

Airlines can take that contract and shove it their collective asses. They run a business where people need to use their services. Time for the consumer to gain some rights as well. You know, like, if I pay for a ticket, show up on time and follow the rules I get to stay on the airplane. Otherwise, in your line of thinking I can show up to a movie, pay for a ticket and be kicked out of the theater when they over sell. Maybe the next concert I go to I won't be able stay because someone is already in my seat. The contract between the airline and customer is horseshit. Time for a change.

If I were to guess, whether or not the plane is overbooked is irrelevant. If asked to get off, you have to. There are far more reasons than just overbooked flight that you could be asked to get off the plane. You can't set a precedent where you can start to argue with the flight attendants and flight crew. That will set a dangerous precedent.

No, it does not set a dangerous precedent. The man knew exactly why he was being asked to leave. It wasn't an emergency. They simply overbooked the flight. I'm glad he stood up to this bullshit practice over overbooking flights.

No, it does not set a dangerous precedent. The man knew exactly why he was being asked to leave. It wasn't an emergency. They simply overbooked the flight. I'm glad he stood up to this bullshit practice over overbooking flights.
In this case, it wasn't about overbooking.

Forum List

Back