It says in the contract that passengers can be bumped from overbooked flights

He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit. United was within their rights to bump him from the flight. He broke the law when he refused to leave the plane, and broke the law again when he resisted arrest. United should prosecute him for trespassing.
"He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit"....wanna bet?

"the fine print" may say they are allowed to remove a paying customer with an assigned seat that he's sitting in already....

But it does not say you can bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity, to do so.

United did not even offer their top dollar cap, to get customers to volunteer before they chose to drag him off....

The so called Friendly Skies Airline is in a world of trouble....as they should be.

Well.... yeah... but United didn't bloody his nose and break his teeth and damage his sinus cavity.

The police did, when he refused to move when the officers of the law, told him to get up, and move off the plane.

The moment a police officer tells you to do something, and you refuse.... You lose all my support.

The police officer is the authority. Americans used to have a respect for authority. Parents should teach their kids to respect for authority.

Because I guarantee if I got into this guys house and started cussing a fuss, he'd demand I respect his authority over his home, and wouldn't shed a tear if I got beat up while being removed from his home.

Well... that's not his plane. He doesn't own jack. So up to that point, I'm all on his side, and United sucks, and that was idiotic.

But the moment the police showed up and said he must leave.... he should have shut up, grabbed his crap, and left. No, you deserve what you get when you refuse to obey a police officer. Absolutely. No sympathy whatsoever.
Not the police.

Can't you people even get the basic facts of this story right?

Just sayin'...
Did you know that that wasn't an overbooked flight?
You are correct, but passengers can still be bumped. It's in the Contract of Carriage.

Still, the use of force by Chicago's airport officers wasn't warranted, at least not at that moment. By doing so, the plainclothes officer endangered the other passengers. With all of Dao's kicking and screaming, I'm surprised no one else was hurt.

"Work smarter, not harder" should become Chicago's new mantra.

He will get nowhere with his frivolous lawsuit. United was within their rights to bump him from the flight. He broke the law when he refused to leave the plane, and broke the law again when he resisted arrest. United should prosecute him for trespassing.
Hide and watch sweetheart!

it's very hard to believe you are a lawyer or even work in a lawyer's office.
I'm not a storybook character. You cannot transform me into a non-lawyer by "not believing" in me.
Nor can one become a lawyer by just saying they are one.

In all these threads and replies... I'm surprised anyone feels there's anything g new to be said on the subject.
'Cept this comment.
This is new.
Of course.
:)

Hide and watch sweetheart!

it's very hard to believe you are a lawyer or even work in a lawyer's office.
I'm not a storybook character. You cannot transform me into a non-lawyer by "not believing" in me.
Nor can one become a lawyer by just saying they are one.
Correct. Nor a pilot nor an expert on the FAA nor an expert on Part 121 aviation law.

In all these threads and replies... I'm surprised anyone feels there's anything g new to be said on the subject.
'Cept this comment.
This is new.
Of course.
:)
True. OTOH, we have a handful of extreme left wing members here who feel that if they get the last word in, that they've won some kind of victory. I call them "mic drop Liberals". They'll deny every fact, every link presented and when someone gives up on them as a lost cause, these "mic drop Liberals" declare victory by default and drop their mic.

They seem to truly believe that if they say something long enough, that it becomes true. Odd, yes, but that's what they do.

2dioy0z.jpg

The culture may be gone and the language relegated to that if scholars and priests, but the relevance of the comment remains as true today as it was centuries ago.
IT is a good rule of thumb, but it is not good for any market to have such a reputation.

I disagree with everyone in this thread that's wrong.
I agree with those that are right.

Better PR to make them an offer they can't refuse, than to drag them kicking and screaming down the aisle
Agreed. OTOH, it was Chicago's Aviation officers who fucked up. The result of this will be Chicago PD filling those 300 jobs like other airports do with their police.

In this situation, one Dao refused, they should have deplaned everyone then resolved it in the terminal.

Yeah, this is my fear.

I have a sinking suspicion the result is going to be like TSA.

So before, the companies paid for security, and found the best possible balance between tight security and customer service, and they themselves paid for it.

Then you have a take over by the government, you end up with massive waiting lines, that were hours long, guys running their hands across women's breasts, scanning 80 something women, while letting the guy with beard shouting allah akbar going on the plane, because we wouldn't want to racially profile... and meanwhile, the companies aren't even paying for, the tax payers are. We're being abused, and we get to pay the bill.

So now, we're going to have a government take over of the police/security at airports as well... Who knows how many problems that will cause, and again the companies will no longer pay for it, but the tax payers will.

Again... rich get richer, and poor get poorer, and the left-wing cheers all the way.
Those aren't mall cops; they belong to the City of Chicago's Aviation department. They aren't trained to the same level as Chicago police. Because of this, they will be and the cost will be rolled over to passengers. Every time someone buys a $10 hamburger they'll be told "Thank David Dao". :)
How much does it cost to train a cop?

Based on your exaggeration, you must assume several million dollars each officer.
Your putting words in my mouth is exaggeration itself. Like your signature, what are you compensating for?

The link below gives some info on the training differences, but not the cost differences. They give the pay of full time Aviation officers as "between $50,000 and $88,000 a year" and all 300 officers costing the city "about $19 million a year". It's not just the difference in training costs, but also payroll. Obviously the City of Chicago does this for cost savings even if it is only a difference of a measly million bucks per year. This incident will probably cause them to change that strategy, use regular cops for airport security and pass those costs to passengers.

What are the Chicago aviation police?

Ooh! Aren't you Mr. Fancy pants!

Now that you've shared some data, tell us why hamburgers will cost $10 each.

And, if they do, why should we really care that they cost $10 each?

The only thing he will get will be a settlement...from both United and Chicago...because they will be stupid to allow this to go to court.

The only thing he will get will be a settlement...from both United and Chicago...because they will be stupid to allow this to go to court.

They'll settle. You never heard a peep out of that family whose kid was carried off by an alligator at Disney World, either. Bad publicity to go to court. Pay up.

I disagree. If someone is,too stupid to figure out what a proper deal is and gets ripped, that's their problem. Call it a Stupid Tax - like buying Lottery tickets.
No, lets not call it a stupid tax, in fact let's put in place laws that protect the weak from being exploited by the strong.

That is called being humane, doof.

No, lets not call it a stupid tax, in fact let's put in place laws that protect the weak from being exploited by the strong.

That is called being humane, doof.

No. The weak and poor are generally so by their own doing. They deserve to reap the consequences of their mistakes.

Humaneness is an emotion I see no use for..... like Love or Mercy.

Last edited:
Just sayin'...

Nope.

The contract allows the airline to deny boarding involuntarily in case of overbooking. But that’s not what happened; the airplane wasn’t oversold. And Dao wasn’t denied boarding. As far as we know, he was removed from a seat he had already taken after being assigned to it. The contract’s specific provisions for removing travelers or refusing to transport them don’t include the airline’s desire to free up seats, whether for its own employees, as in this case, or for other passengers. ...

Rule 25(A)(2) of the contract applies to “oversold flights.” It says that “no one may be denied boarding against his/her will” until the airline asks for volunteers. Then, “if there are not enough volunteers, other Passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with United Airlines’ boarding priority.” ...

What’s more, this entire section of the contract is about denial of boarding -- which is legally different from “removal,” which is discussed in an entirely different section of the contract.

Rule 21 of the contract covers “refusal of transport” and includes involuntary removal of a passenger from a plane. It includes a wide variety of misdeeds, from the serious (deadly weapons) to the trivial (barefoot).

But nowhere does this section authorize removal or refusal to transport for no reason other than that the airline needs the seat.

United Broke Its Contract With Frequent Flyers

No. The weak and poor are generally so by their own doing. They deserve to reap the consequences of their mistakes.
Humaneness is an emotion I see no use for..... like Love or Mercy.
This is another example of how the regression of the influence of Christianity is undoing our strongest facets.

You are a heartless and evil person.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Forum List

Back