Italy has given up on pizza

Polishprince

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2016
One of the world's greatest pizza restaurants has closed up their stores, the Italian people are apparently no longer interested in eating their national food.

Really remarkable set of circumstances here, who would have thought it?

Its like the Poles giving up on golabkis or the Russians no longer interested in vodka.

Last edited:
On the world's greatest pizza restaurants has closed up their stores, the Italian people are apparently no longer interested in eating their national food.

Its like the Poles giving up on golabkis or the Russians no longer interested in vodka.

Unless the Domino's restaurants in Italy used far better recipes than the US outlets, it's not at all surprising.

Italy is probably still eating plenty of GOOD pizza.

One of the world's greatest pizza restaurants has closed up their stores, the Italian people are apparently no longer interested in eating their national food.

Why would they want Domino’s when they have real pizza?

Why would an Italian eat at Dominos?

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the restaurant. You call or use the app, and Dominos sends you a tremendous pizza you eat at home or wherever you are at. People don't eat at Dominos.

But the reason why they would, is if they like tremendous pizza.

If they don't , of course they wouldn't.

And since they didn't , its obvious that they don't like it.

Unless the Domino's restaurants in Italy used far better recipes than the US outlets, it's not at all surprising.

In the 1960s I visited Italy and had their pizza and a few other traditional dishes.

Most of what I ate was OK but nothing special. In my opinion most American-Italian cuisine is better.

Not trying to defend Dominos because I think it sucks but you can usually find as good or better Italian food in any Italian section of town in any American city than you get in Italy.

Apparently you are unfamiliar with the restaurant. You call or use the app, and Dominos sends you a tremendous pizza you eat at home or wherever you are at. People don't eat at Dominos.

:auiqs.jpg:

Apparently there were eat-in Domino’s in Italy.

Domino’s in Italy

Er...you know that Dominos is not the type of pizza eaten in Italy right?

Also, thats not their national food. Dude educate yourself.

Why would they want Domino’s when they have real pizza?
Exactly. Americanized "Chinese," "Mexican," "Italian" cuisine is a fusion and is not the same as food from those locations. It can be good, it can even be better, but typically its quite different.

Yup, the article states, "There's a lot of pizza, but there's not a lot of delivered pizza," But I am with you. Dominos is NOT pizza. Dominos is in denial if they think the delivery model killed them in Italy.
The premise of the thread is misleading as it suggests that Italians have turned their nose up at pizza. That isn't the case. I love pizza, but not Dominos.

Yup, the article states, "There's a lot of pizza, but there's not a lot of delivered pizza," But I am with you. Dominos is NOT pizza. Dominos is in denial if they think the delivery model killed them in Italy.
The premise of the thread is misleading as it suggests that Italians have turned their nose up at pizza. That isn't the case. I love pizza, but not Dominos.
I grew up on Pagliacci Pizza in Seattle. Domino's is suitable for lining the birdcage.

This thread is making me want to jump in the car and drive to NYC for a huge foldable deliciously greasy slice. It may not be authentic either, but it’s the soul food of my youth.

I grew up on Pagliacci Pizza in Seattle. Domino's is suitable for lining the birdcage.
I was a fan of Round Table in CA and Spokane. They, along with other better pizza chains, have priced themselves out though. $40 for a large pizza is kind of spendy. BTW, just noticed your new avatar. May I make a suggestion? An inverted flag is a sign of distress. Our country seems to fit that bill.

I was a fan of Round Table in CA and Spokane. They, along with other better pizza chains, have priced themselves out though. $40 for a large pizza is kind of spendy. BTW, just noticed you new avatar. May I make a suggestion? An inverted flag is a sign of distress. Our country seems to fit that bill.
I LOVED Round Table!

Thanks for the suggestion. I had a distress flag for a bit, and I may swich back to it, but for me the banana republic flag is satisfying for now.

To me none of the take out pizza chains are much better than the frozen pizza you can get down at your grocery store.

OK if you know what you are getting and just want something delivered but nothing really good.

My wife and I are trying to decide if you are going to get our own pizza oven. One of these Oonas or something like it.

This weekend we are going to run a test to see how well we can do home made pizza dough now. Over the years we have tried it a few times but it never seemed to turn out like we want it. If we can make good homemade dough without it being too much of hassle then we will get the oven.

Which one did you like best?
the one from the Sicilian side.....she put lots of peppers and cheeses and meats on it....some stuff she put on i didnt care for like anchovies........the other granny was more conservative with hers....but they were still better than the franchises pies....

the one from the Sicilian side.....she put lots of peppers and cheeses and meats on it....some stuff she put on i didnt care for like anchovies........the other granny was more conservative with hers....but they were still better than the franchises pies....
Anchovies on pizza.

That reminds of visiting Brazil back in the 1980s. I flying on an airplane. Back then they served meals on airplanes.

We began to smell something really good as they were warming lunch up for us.

The they brought us the lunch. It was pizza crust with nothing on it by anchovy paste. Smelled great but tasted like crap.

You are lucky to have two grandmothers that could cook like that, even if you had to endure anchovies every once in awhole.

Forum List

Back