Italy has given up on pizza

Anchovies on pizza.

That reminds of visiting Brazil back in the 1980s. I flying on an airplane. Back then they served meals on airplanes.

We began to smell something really good as they were warming lunch up for us.

The they brought us the lunch. It was pizza crust with nothing on it by anchovy paste. Smelled great but tasted like crap.

You are lucky to have two grandmothers that could cook like that, even if you had to endure anchovies every once in awhole.
Anchovies have their place, but not everybody likes them. I love them and an alla Puttanesca sauce would be flat without them.

Er...you know that Dominos is not the type of pizza eaten in Italy right?

Also, thats not their national food. Dude educate yourself.

Exactly. Americanized "Chinese," "Mexican," "Italian" cuisine is a fusion and is not the same as food from those locations. It can be good, it can even be better, but typically its quite different.
A lot of people fail to grasp that.

In TX it's a lot easier to get more authentic mexican tastes obviously, than is is in New Yuck. There was one restaurant I went to years ago in Buffalo NY though that had a German menu and was owned by 3rd generation krauts that actually still spoke German and cooked the food according to tradition and it was quite good.

While visiting Hong Kong I was very disappointed in the food there.... Actually let me rephrase that. I was disappointed with the total lack of salt there. When I asked for salt they brought a small dish of it that was stuck together. I ended up eating a lot of fried rice.

I read a lot about how degos changed their recipes to appeal to WASP tastes and that's why things like pizza and shit are so much different. Italian foods are still my favorite euroweenie cuisine. You can still get high quality but expensive pizza as well as calzones and shit.

Very true. Additionally the original versions that came here were often from specific regions. Even further, those fuions will then get impacted by follow on fusions of related food.

For example, we recently had "Mexican Food" in the form of California style tacos and rice, but that in turn had been fused with El Salvador flavors. Even the term Mexican food is relates primarily to peasant food from northern Mexico.
Thats why Tex Mex and California Mex are completely separate from you know Mex Mex, much less southern Mex.

Glad I ate before I wrote this post.

Very true. Additionally the original versions that came here were often from specific regions. Even further, those fuions will then get impacted by follow on fusions of related food.

For example, we recently had "Mexican Food" in the form of California style tacos and rice, but that in turn had been fused with El Salvador flavors. Even the term Mexican food is relates primarily to peasant food from northern Mexico.
Thats why Tex Mex and California Mex are completely separate from you know Mex Mex, much less southern Mex.

Glad I ate before I wrote this post.
Living near Tampa we have a lot of Central/South American cusine influence.

I love Cuban cusine but my favorite ethnic restaurant is Colombian.

One of the world's greatest pizza restaurants has closed up their stores, the Italian people are apparently no longer interested in eating their national food.

Really remarkable set of circumstances here, who would have thought it?

Its like the Poles giving up on golabkis or the Russians no longer interested in vodka.

I thought you were going to say that Frank Pepe's closed!

What really happened.
Lockdown killed Dominoes in Italy.The rise of delivery apps meant that local pizza places had to deliver and dominoes lost their key advantage.

Dominoes is ok as far as it goes but the local pizza is always better.

Forum List

Back