It's Good Friday, and gosh I'm getting hungry

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Good Friday is a fast day for Catholics, with two small meals and one regular meal allowed, and no meat (except seafood).

For breakfast, I had two slices of toast. For lunch, I had a few cubes of cheese.

Now I'm getting pretty hungry. For dinner we will have a tuna casserole, and then after that, no snacking is allowed until midnight.

I think that at 12:05 I'm going to an In-N-Out and get a double-double cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate shake.

We still do this in my family, even though we don't always go to Mass, we still follow the Lent rules.

Sounds illogical, but there it is.

Good Friday is a fast day for Catholics, with two small meals and one regular meal allowed, and no meat (except seafood).

For breakfast, I had two slices of toast. For lunch, I had a few cubes of cheese.

Now I'm getting pretty hungry. For dinner we will have a tuna casserole, and then after that, no snacking is allowed until midnight.

I think that at 12:05 I'm going to an In-N-Out and get a double-double cheeseburger, fries and a chocolate shake.

We still do this in my family, even though we don't always go to Mass, we still follow the Lent rules.

Catholics are a strange lot.

In South America, capybara, a huge aquatic rat, is eaten and called "fish".

That said, my mother's side, and my precious grandmother, were devout Catholics.

I have nothing but respect for those that make that choice, but it is not for me.

Have a big chocolate malt and go to bed full.

I'm a Christian, denomination means little to me, and I see the need for fasting and prayer, but I don't do it on Good Friday, I spend the day in reflection, trying to imagine where in the day Jesus and some of the disciples may have been at that time, and I go on eastern time, I realize it's far later in Israel, but that's just apples and oranges.

It's the one day of the year, I try hardest to remain in constant prayer. Good luck on the fasting.

One more thing, since you only have an hour to go, eastern time that is, I had a country fried steak biscuit from Hardee's for breakfast, a starbucks mocha latte, a big pal hamburger, from Pal's(it's a regional thing), for lunch, and took my family out for Buddy's Bar-b-q (had a pork dinner, with baked beans, French fries, hushpuppies, and a bun on the side, and washed it down with a hot fudge cake). So I ate light today.

If you ever get by east Tennessee, try Buddy's, they are legendary around these parts.

New Orleans is an interesting place during Lent. The party stops, and it takes at least three weeks for everyone to get back to normal.

New Orleans is an interesting place during Lent. The party stops, and it takes at least three weeks for everyone to get back to normal.

I'm surprised there are that many Catholics in New Orleans to make a difference. The south is predominantly protestant.

I'm surprised there are that many Catholics in New Orleans to make a difference. The south is predominantly protestant.
You must not know much history.

New Orleans(and the rest of the Isle of Orleans) was settled by French Catholics first, Spanish Catholics secondly.

The Anglos did not come to Louisiana until the early 1800's, except in that part known as the Florida Parishes, which were not part of French or Spanish Louisiana.

Louisiana has 'Parishes' instead of Counties.

You can do the math.

Yep!

We still have Police Juries, which have nothing to do with police or trials.

I like fasting. I am crazy in love about it.

In Islam, fasting is to abstain from food and drink from sunrise to sunset. To abstain from looking at something (religiously) unlawful (which includes what is legally unlawful according to any law of any country you might be in), to refrain from walking towards it, to listen when it is talked about, or to talk about it, to abstain from any wrong thought. These are the rules, but people like to break rules.

Christians' idea of fasting is 1 meal and 2 snacks? Wimps. :)

That's Catholics, not Christians. Not every Christian is Catholic, and not every Catholic is a Christian, same with Protestants.

What if the timing is all off, and youre supposed to only coincide with jerusalems time zone? Oops?

Not a Catholic. Protestants fast on an individual basis, as an offering to God and a sign of our strong intent, when praying for something. It's also a purification ritual, to clear the mind of all concerns except communication with the Almighty.

I'd make a terrible Catholic. I'm very bad with rituals.

Protestant ideas of fasting are doing it however long it takes to get a response from God.

Protestant ideas of fasting are doing it however long it takes to get a response from God.

My grandmother fasted for a week while she prayed for my sister to quit smoking. At the end of the week, my sister was becoming violently nauseated every time she got near cigarette smoke, and Grandma went out for steak.

Yeah, Delta, they call that fasting. That's a regular day of eating for me. On Yom Kippur, we can't have even a morsel of food or a drop of water for 25 hours. That's what you call a real fast!

Forum List

Back