🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

It's Time to Award Electoral College Votes by Congressional District

It's time for the EC to be scrapped, and the popular vote be the decider.

Power in america is already too centralized. We need to return to states rights as the FF intended.
States have the responsibility and constitutional power to make all of their voters relevant in every presidential election and beyond.
How can the state have this responsibility when the issue need not even be put to a vote?

Unable to agree on any particular method for selecting presidential electors, the Founding Fathers left the choice of method exclusively to the states in Article II, Section 1

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors….”

The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly characterized the authority of the state legislatures over the manner of awarding their electoral votes as "plenary" and "exclusive."

The candidate with the most votes wins in every other election in the country

Every other election is at the State or partial State level

And voters in a presidential election are in all 50 states and DC.

No shit, what's your point beyond what we were already discussing?

The point is, that most Americans believe presidential elections should be determined by the winner of the national popular vote.

Based on what?

Support for a national popular vote is strong among Republicans, Democrats, and Independent voters, as well as every demographic group in every state surveyed recently. In the 41 red, blue, and purple states surveyed, overall support has been in the 67-81% range - in rural states, in small states, in Southern and border states, in big states, and in other states polled.

NationalPopularVote.com

I am not missing any point. And neither are voters in small states who support the National Popular Vote bill.

The point is that NOW, with the current system (not mentioned in the Constitution), a candidate could lose in the 39 "smallest" states and win the Presidency.

But the political reality is that the 11 largest states are politically divided, as are the small states, and do not ALL vote 100% for either party.
Voters in California and New York would not overwhelm the votes of the 48 other states.

I'm not sure if you're aware of the phenomenon or not--I'm not sure there is a name for it--but when you have a hypothetical such as this non-binding resolution passed by some state, people in the government will vote one way. When there is a real chance that there may be some effect and after some learned reflection, they will likely vote differently.

Put another way, the legislators are aware that their votes do not matter so they, not surprisingly, cast them for the most popular stance

. . .

The National Popular Vote bill is NOT a non-binding resolution.

Sure it is. Everyone who voted for it knew that when they were casting their vote, the measure had no hope of being considered, much less ratified. If there were actual skin in the game, the deliberations would be much more serious as would the manner in which the legislators cast their ballot.

The National Popular Vote bill is law in 11 jurisdictions now.

I think you need to look up "National" in a dictionary. lol

The common name for the bill is the "National Popular Vote" bill, because it would guarantee the majority of Electoral College votes, and thus the presidency, to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the country.

The official name is the "Agreement Among the States to Elect the President by National Popular Vote."

The bill would take effect when enacted by states with a majority of the electoral votes—270 of 538.

All of the presidential electors from the enacting states will be supporters of the presidential candidate receiving the most popular votes in all 50 states (and DC)—thereby guaranteeing that candidate with an Electoral College majority.

The 888 word text of the "Agreement Among the States to Elect the President by National Popular Vote" posted at

National Popular Vote -- Electoral college reform by direct election of the President

"Each member state shall conduct a statewide popular election for President and Vice President of the United States."

"The chief election official of each member state shall designate the presidential slate with the largest national popular vote total as the "national popular vote winner."

The presidential elector certifying official of each member state shall certify the appointment in that official's own state of the elector slate nominated in that state in association with the national popular vote winner."

It's time for the EC to be scrapped, and the popular vote be the decider.

Power in america is already too centralized. We need to return to states rights as the FF intended.
States have the responsibility and constitutional power to make all of their voters relevant in every presidential election and beyond.
How can the state have this responsibility when the issue need not even be put to a vote?

Unable to agree on any particular method for selecting presidential electors, the Founding Fathers left the choice of method exclusively to the states in Article II, Section 1

“Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors….”

The U.S. Supreme Court has repeatedly characterized the authority of the state legislatures over the manner of awarding their electoral votes as "plenary" and "exclusive."
None of this answers my question. Try again.
How can the state have the responsibility you claim when the issue need not even be put to a vote?

The constitution is the supreme authority in the Country, only to be overridden if the will of the people exceeds 3/4 of the States and 2/3rd's of the federal legislature.

That's incorrect. The states can amend the constitution all by themselves by calling a constitutional convention. They do NOT need the feds at all.

OTOH, the feds CANNOT amend their own constitution. More proof that the FF placed the states above the federal govt.

That's ONE power they gave the states. Overall the federal government rules.

But its only supposed to rule on items specifically given to them as proscribed powers and responsibilities.

Not "everything under the sun because "commerce clause, fuh fuh fuh, promote general welfare, fuh fuh"

Even if you as a conservative will only concede that the federal government powers are to secure our rights then you would have to concede that securing the rights of the voters to a fair election process would be a legitimate power of the federal government.

Why not go with the nationwide popular vote?

Using Single Transfer Vote..... Simple and would stop half the messing...

Simplest, and how virtually every other election in the country is run.

Every voter, everywhere, voting for the candidates matters and count equally. The candidate with the most votes wins.

Time for you to get started on passing your Constitutional amendment.
The 17th Amendment is what fucked over the States letting the people choose their Senators. Now they want to screw up selecting the President. We choose the House. The allocate the funds to pay for this government. We restrain the Hose so they don't overspend. Liberals screwing with our Constitution screwed everything up. They always do.

The constitutional wording does not encourage, discourage, require, or prohibit the use of any particular method for awarding a state's electoral votes.

The National Popular Vote bill would guarantee the presidency to the candidate who receives the most popular votes in the country, by changing state winner-take-all laws (not mentioned in the U.S. Constitution, but later enacted by 48 states), without changing anything in the Constitution, using the built-in method that the Constitution provides for states to make changes.

Every vote, everywhere, for every candidate, would be politically relevant and equal in every presidential election.
No more distorting and divisive red and blue state maps of pre-determined outcomes.
No more handful of 'battleground' states (where the two major political parties happen to have similar levels of support among voters) where voters and policies are more important than those of the voters in 38+ predictable states that have just been 'spectators' and ignored after the conventions.

The bill would take effect when enacted by states with a majority of the electoral votes—270 of 538.

All of the presidential electors from the enacting states will be supporters of the presidential candidate receiving the most popular votes in all 50 states (and DC)—thereby guaranteeing that candidate with an Electoral College majority.

The bill has passed 34 state legislative chambers in 23 rural, small, medium, large, red, blue, and purple states with 261 electoral votes.

The bill has been enacted by 11 small, medium, and large jurisdictions with 165 electoral votes – 61% of the 270 necessary to go into effect.

NationalPopularVote
NPV is a stupid idea and fucks over smaller States. Candidates would only campaign in urban areas and promise most federal spending goes to the urban area. This is a liberal trick to have power for eternity.

Right now, candidates only campaign in swing states....how is that different?
They primary in every state and any other state during the general until the state is locked down. It only makes sense to concentrate on the swing states after that.

Every other election is at the State or partial State level

And voters in a presidential election are in all 50 states and DC.

No shit, what's your point beyond what we were already discussing?

The point is, that most Americans believe presidential elections should be determined by the winner of the national popular vote.

Based on what?

Support for a national popular vote is strong among Republicans, Democrats, and Independent voters, as well as every demographic group in every state surveyed recently. In the 41 red, blue, and purple states surveyed, overall support has been in the 67-81% range - in rural states, in small states, in Southern and border states, in big states, and in other states polled.

NationalPopularVote.com

My liberty is popular with me and tyranny of the majority is a terrible threat to that

It's to easy to do a popular vote now, so I don't even see the use of the EV

sure, pols would stick mostly to the cities, but isn't that what tv is for?

how many attend a rally v watch it on tv or net?

and the person that goes to the country side has a far better chance than the person that stuck to just the cities
Contradiction. You people have to understand that the needs of Iowa is far different than New York. NY has multiple times the EC votes than Iowa. Pols are far more likely to promise shit to NY than Iowa, yet I pay the same tax rate as a NewYorker. And you can bet the farm there are multiple more welfare checks and non taxpayers in NY than Iowa. The EC system is the only fair way to select our President. Leave a good system alone. NY state power and influence is in the House where the money is allocated.

Last edited:
That's what I said you fucking retard. What does it take for you to grasp a point? My point, Jake, is that when the Republicans do it, you squeal like a stuck pig and when the Democrats do it you ho hum. But they both do it. Buy a clue
You always squeal when you get caught in your lies. When have I ever not condemned or excused gerrymandering? You put words in other peoples' mouths they did not say because you don't have the truth. You are a mental midget.
What lie? You didn't disagree with anything I said, dumb ass.You have a serious alcohol problem, don't you, Jake?
Personal attacks, bold assertions, lies, etc., shows kaz to be a dull person. :lol:

you wrote that when the Republicans do it, you squeal like a stuck pig but excuse the Dems

Dull Person Kaz, that is a lie.
You're lying Jake, you never criticize Democrats when they and Republicans do the same things, you only criticize Republicans for it
That's not only a bold assertion, it's a life, and a personal attack. You have expanded your lie from gerrymandering to "when they do the same things." That is a fallacy of argumentum absurdum. Do you have any examples? You are now dubbed Kazcuck.

OK, Jake. I've made this clear to you. I'm not answering your questions until you start answering mine. It's non-negotiable. Note there's not a single question mark in this entire paragraph.

But if you want examples, you're repeatedly told that by Republicans across the board, I'm sure they'd be glad to show you that since they keep telling you.

And seriously, you need to be in alcohol treatment, you're losing it

If it was a national popular vote, small states might as well not even vote. A City like Baltimore would displace the whole of the northern plains states. No fairness in that at all...
This is supposed to be a republic not a shit eating democracy.
We need a "fuck yeah" icon.

By gerrymandered congressional districts? Are you mental?

You got a better idea? What makes you so certain there would be gerrymandering. ? THINK

The popular vote is the better idea, then no one can claim their vote doesn't count.
Going by popular vote is just mob rule. Dip shit

If the People are a mob that shouldn't be allowed a voice in government, then you're opting for rule by a few.

Who should that few be?
For Iowa that would be 6 of us.

It's to easy to do a popular vote now, so I don't even see the use of the EV

sure, pols would stick mostly to the cities, but isn't that what tv is for?

how many attend a rally v watch it on tv or net?

and the person that goes to the country side has a far better chance than the person that stuck to just the cities
Contradiction. You people have to understand that the needs of Iowa is far different than New York. NY has multiple times the EC votes than Iowa. Pols are far more likely to promise shit to NY than Iowa, yet I pay the same tax rate as a NewYorker. And you can bet the farm there are multiple more welfare checks and non taxpayers in NY than Iowa. The EC system is the only fair way to select our President. Leave a good system alone. NY state power and influence is in the House where the money is allocated.
new york is one of the few states that has over 20 ec votes.

Iowa gets the short end either way.

and that not really a contradiction; I was clear that the person that went outside the cities would have a better chance, no that he actually would.

Forum List

Back