I've never had a fine toothed ratchet...but I can see where they would come in handy....

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
I was at Wal*Mart today looking for one of those Benchmade knockoffs (apparently so is everyone else...cuz there were none to be found) and there was a ½ inch ratchet with no markings on clearance for six bucks. As you'll see, I didn't expect to need another ½ inch ratchet...but who can say no to a useful lifetime guaranteed tool from a company that's most likely to be around the rest of my life.

Well, it turns out it's a 90 tooth ratchet...which got me to wondering what the rest of my ratchets were.

So I rounded up all the ones that were easy to get to and tested them.

1000002662.jpg

The one on the far left is the new Hart.

Next to that is the Stanley I use the most often. It's 45 teeth.

Next to that is a vintage Craftsman with 45 teeth.

Fourth over is a Popular Mechanics with 40 teeth.

Second from the right is another Craftsman with 32 teeth.

And to the far right is a Tractor Supply special with 24 teeth.

Since I'm usually not working in super tight spots, I have never sought out a fine tooth ratchet...but usually not isn't never, and there have been times it would have come in pretty handy.

Like everything else though, there are trade offs. Less teeth equals bigger teeth, and all things being equal, bigger equals stronger.

So while this will be nice to have those times that ya need it, I don't see it getting a lot of use.

The other thing I picked up on clearance that I again almost passed on was this Hart Utility Knife.

This thing is brilliant.

The spare blades are kept inside the handle...but you need no tools to change blades and can do it in 10 seconds.

1000002663.jpg

Hit this little blue button and the spare blades pop up.

1000002664.jpg

1000002665.jpg

The slider on the side will lock the blade ½ extended or fully extended.

1000002668.jpg

The slider on top will fully extend the blade without locking it in place, and when you release it, it retracts under spring tension.

1000002667.jpg

With the blade extended but not locked, this little blue button unlocks the old blade for removal and locks in the fresh blade the same way.

1000002666.jpg

It's really a pretty brilliant design.

I was at Wal*Mart today looking for one of those Benchmade knockoffs (apparently so is everyone else...cuz there were none to be found) and there was a ½ inch ratchet with no markings on clearance for six bucks. As you'll see, I didn't expect to need another ½ inch ratchet...but who can say no to a useful lifetime guaranteed tool from a company that's most likely to be around the rest of my life.

Well, it turns out it's a 90 tooth ratchet...which got me to wondering what the rest of my ratchets were.

View attachment 1008024

Since I'm usually not working in super tight spots, I have never sought out a fine tooth ratchet...but usually not isn't never, and there have been times it would have come in pretty handy.

Like everything else though, there are trade offs. Less teeth equals bigger teeth, and all things being equal, bigger equals stronger.

So while this will be nice to have those times that ya need it, I don't see it getting a lot of use.

fine teeth are way better when working in a restricted area. Never thought before about checking on the tooth pitch!

View attachment 1008024

I remember tight spaces where I couldn’t load a ratchet? Enjoy your tool threads. Makes me think a little bit about the olden days or science vs. hatred of Deep State only.

If you're interested in that Ozark Trail D2 steel Benchmade Bugout knockoff, here's one of the many videos...

The other thing I picked up on clearance that I again almost passed on was this Hart Utility Knife.

This thing is brilliant.

The spare blades are kept inside the handle...but you need no tools to change blades and can do it in 10 seconds.

View attachment 1008030

Hit this little blue button and the spare blades pop up.

View attachment 1008031

View attachment 1008032

The slider on the side will lock the blade ½ extended or fully extended.

View attachment 1008034

The slider on top will fully extend the blade without locking it in place, and when you release it, it retracts under spring tension.

View attachment 1008035

With the blade extended but not locked, this little blue button unlocks the old blade for removal and locks in the fresh blade the same way.

View attachment 1008039

It's really a pretty brilliant design.

I had a political comment for this one too, but I've just got to stop myself.

View attachment 1008024

It's all about working in confined spaces.

View attachment 1008024

I call these spinny wrenches, I like the one with hammer, also the utility knife is cool. The ones we have come apart or something to change the blade (which I just learned about) I always ended up taking it apart and then can't figure out how it goes back together.

I call these spinny wrenches, I like the one with hammer, also the utility knife is cool. The ones we have come apart or something to change the blade (which I just learned about) I always ended up taking it apart and then can't figure out how it goes back together.
The ones I have come apart too, which is a big PITA when you're in the middle of doing something.

I end up using a dull blade longer than I should instead of taking the time to change it out, which would not only makes the job easier and faster, but safer as well.

That black ratchet has a ⅜ ratchet on the other side and is immensely useful.

I think they were 10 bucks at Tractor Supply when I bought them...a lot more now.

They were called dual drive spud ratchets.

Here's one on Amazon...

MAXPOWER 1/2" and 3/8" Drive Scaffold Ratchet Wrench, Podger Spanner with Claw Hammer, Crowbar, Pry Bar and Nail Puller Functions Amazon.com

I never had a fine toothed ratchet either. I never missed a fine toothed ratchet. I can't say how my life would have turned out if I had a fine toothed ratchet all those years. I suppose I'm never gonna get those years back.

Forum List

Back