Jabberwocky: Capitalism Diary (Fiction?)

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
This is a capitalism-metaphysics parable (my final one thank goodness!) inspired by the power-pensive film Immortals.

Signing off (thanks for all the friendship USMB!),

====

Alas was a valiant and idealistic warrior and perfect swordsman whom many considered to be the penultimate defender of the spirit. Alas had dealt with many nefarious types throughout his storied life, including a ruthless monarch in Austria, a vicious bandit in Spain, a gang of cutthroat drug-runners in Mexico, an evil warlock in England, and even an entire army of darkness (whom Alas contended with because he had the assistance of a daring team of vigilantes known as the 'Hell's Angels'). Alas was thinking of retiring now and writing memoirs of his adventures, but he had one more nasty being to deal with --- the Jabberwocky.

The Jabberwocky was written about already by an important writer who described the malicious creature as a totem of trickery and vice. The Jabberwocky lived in the 'dark side' of the universe, a realm which existed on the other side of the mirrors we look into every day but never wonder if we can 'touch.' The Jabberwocky was the truest 'Devil's Advocate' (if the term could ever be applied to a pure anarchy-oriented being!). Alas knew the Jabberwocky would guard a terrible knowledge regarding the 'natural frailty' of the known universe, the realm which most people cherished as a 'domain of peace' --- the so-called 'real world.'

ALAS: You terrify people in the universe, because you are evil!
JABBERWOCKY: I am merely a messenger, Alas.
ALAS: Really? It seems your only message is one of savagery and betrayal.
JABBERWOCKY: No. I speak to the natural instincts dormant in every soul.
ALAS: No, you speak of the urge to rebel, not create.
JABBERWOCKY: You've defended many villages in your history, no?
ALAS: That's true, and I don't regret the battle-scars I've gained.
JABBERWOCKY: Very honorable, but I doubt all of these villagers did not envy you.
ALAS: What do you mean?
JABBERWOCKY: War speaks to courage, and no being can stand being called 'cowardly.'
ALAS: Courage is a badge of honor and there are many forms of courage...
JABBERWOCKY: Don't wax lyrical with me, Alas; I'm referring to natural competitiveness.
ALAS: I think you're referring to gambling and speculation; such 'sins' are forgiveable.
JABBERWOCKY: I disagree; I doubt you'll be 'grateful' gifting your mighty sword to villagers!
ALAS: All the villagers I rescued were grateful to God for the grace of life they salvaged.
JABBERWOCKY: That was because of you, and some villagers may have cursed your courage.

Alas realized Jabberwocky was very evil but also eerily 'truthful.' Courage was indeed a badge of honor, but not all the villagers Alas rescued would be 'immune' from the stain of envy, and some may have fantasized being able to do what Alas did on their behalf. Alas always took money for his knightly deeds and was therefore considered a mercenary, so most villagers understood he was a simple 'professional,' but his extraordinary skill with the sword would surely raise eyebrows and cause many villagers to be held in awe at the sight of such skill in warfare/combat, an awe which would naturally produce 'envy' (as Jabberwocky suggested).

Jabberwocky correctly deduced that Alas was insightful in assuming that the Jabberwocky's omen regarding the 'reality of envy' would irreversibly 'cloud' the aura of warfare and battlefield-honor, since many who witnessed such warfare may become fascinated (or even hypnotized!) by such visions of heroism. However, Jabberwocky also knew Alas would remain idealistic about being a 'crusader-knight,' and indeed, Alas was concocting ways of using capitalism-theory and competitive-economics models to create a better 'metaphysical vision' of the 'election of warriors' who fought on behalf of defenseless villagers who would simply be overcome with envy (since they themselves could not gamble with their lives on such turbulent battlefields).

ALAS: I've cut off your claws with a swift swing of my sword!
JABBERWOCKY: My claws will grow back someday, and I'll return.
ALAS: You belong in the 'dark side' of the universe.
JABBERWOCKY: Yet, you know why I visited your universe, Alas.
ALAS: Yes, you wanted to bring an omen of envy regarding natural competitiveness.
JABBERWOCKY: Wouldn't you agree that capitalism is the foundation of war?
ALAS: I agree that competitive economics (i.e., capitalism) breeds a lust for power.
JABBERWOCKY: Indeed, and such lust creates daydreams of bravado in the hearts of men.
ALAS: Men are simple, but friendship is forever, and you are no friend...
JABBERWOCKY: However, you have to concede that I am not lying!
ALAS: No, you speak the truth (in a fashion); capitalism does indeed produce envy.
JABBERWOCKY: Just think of homelessness (poverty) and Third World debt (inequity).
ALAS: Will you return to your dominion (the 'dark side') forever if I can riddle you?
JABBERWOCKY: If your riddle proves envy fades, I will bid you farewell!
ALAS: What is the answer to the riddling-question, "Does capitalism appeal to youth?"
JABBERWOCKY: Farewell, Alas...

====

engagement.jpg

Forum List

Back