Jamaica

When we were there on a cruise we were told ....."for your own safety dont venture outside the compound"

Hahaha you get that in New Orleans too. Just part of being smart when travelling.

I'm originally from TO so Jamaica is like a sister to me. Whenever travelling know where you are going and embrace it and love it but also find where you need to fear it especially if you are like my husband and I and we like to go off the beaten path. But you must be very very careful when you do this.
Been to New Orleans....Left day before Katrina hit, before We went had a customer who was from the area tell me not to go past French QTR.....Stayed in CBD at the Windsor Ct. One day we went to one of the plantations and on way back Canal st was stopped so I jogged over a street to go the couple blocks to the hotel. Thought I drove thru time warp or something, looked like bombed out war zone, junk cars parked at all angles in front of wrecked homes,,,remember this was before Katrina
New Orleans is the anus of North America.

I love N'awlins.

It's one of the best cities in America.

Plenty..
Go to Negril first of all,Montego Bay sucks.
Dont know what you like as far as accommodations go,need to let me know if you're an all inclusive type or not.
Go here for a shitload of info...
Negril.com Message Board Forums

I'll say this..Jamaica isnt for everyone. If you're insulted by what can be intense sales pressure from the locals you need to stay in an all inclusive and dont leave the reservation.

Personally we stay in the smaller boutique type places and dont mind interacting with the locals. Once you figure them out they can be pretty cool.

Depending on whether you like the beach or the Cliffs(the West End) will make a big difference in which way I'd direct you as well.
I prefer the Cliffs and would recommend Catcha Falling Star or Rock House,while there are more expensive places you cant really beat these two for the money.
If I had to choose between the two I would go with Catcha,Kevin and Ty the bartenders are a riot.

I loved your summation Too funny! And spot on. Still cracking up.

Jamaica and Negril in particular has a special kind of vibe that isnt for some people.
But I will say it opened up my mind to the hippy mindset that permeates Negril from the sixties because it doesnt resemble the modern lefts American version in the least.

and I've been all around the Carib........ never had that prob anywhere else. We dont often return to places we've visited....want to see as much as possible.

Think I have better things to do than no thanks 10,000 times a day.........if you think thats enjoyable fine.........I dont see how it ads anything but annoyance......and there has to be more to Jamaican culture than fending off the locals

Thats cool.
I find fucking with the locals and letting them know i'm not some gullible clown enjoyable. Once you do that you're their buddy and you receive "earned respect"
From then on out you're damn near a local in their minds.

Think I have better things to do than no thanks 10,000 times a day.........if you think thats enjoyable fine.........I dont see how it ads anything but annoyance......and there has to be more to Jamaican culture than fending off the locals
Sounds like Las Vegas.

When we were there on a cruise we were told ....."for your own safety dont venture outside the compound"

Hahaha you get that in New Orleans too. Just part of being smart when travelling.

I'm originally from TO so Jamaica is like a sister to me. Whenever travelling know where you are going and embrace it and love it but also find where you need to fear it especially if you are like my husband and I and we like to go off the beaten path. But you must be very very careful when you do this.
Been to New Orleans....Left day before Katrina hit, before We went had a customer who was from the area tell me not to go past French QTR.....Stayed in CBD at the Windsor Ct. One day we went to one of the plantations and on way back Canal st was stopped so I jogged over a street to go the couple blocks to the hotel. Thought I drove thru time warp or something, looked like bombed out war zone, junk cars parked at all angles in front of wrecked homes,,,remember this was before Katrina

I love N'awlins.

I guess you missed some wrong out of that great girl of a city.

I love that city. Canadian here. Well travelled. Maybe I lean a little more because I was a Cathoula breeder and I love the state and the city beyond belief.

And I'm a mega foodie. Thank the good Lord I am still skinny. But man oh man oh man aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I have eaten my way thru some good times baby. Give me gator. Whoooooo hooooo dipped in butter.

I love N'awlins.

I guess you missed some wrong out of that great girl of a city.

I love that city. Canadian here. Well travelled. Maybe I lean a little more because I was a Cathoula breeder and I love the state and the city beyond belief.

And I'm a mega foodie. Thank the good Lord I am still skinny. But man oh man oh man aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I have eaten my way thru some good times baby. Give me gator. Whoooooo hooooo dipped in butter.
And what does that taste like....

August?

Are you nuts?

Nope. If I can work for two years in the Gulf States, I can deal with a West Indian summer. Afterall, Toro, you know what they used to say in India during the British Raj: "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

August?

Are you nuts?

Nope. If I can work for two years in the Gulf States, I can deal with a West Indian summer. Afterall, Toro, you know what they used to say in India during the British Raj: "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

I always laugh at the Jamaicans when they say how hot it gets.
I tell em to spend some time in Houston in August and get back with me.
The only draw back to going in the off season is some of the restaurants aren't open.

Take pics! I wanna see what you saw. It's as close as I will ever get there.

The destination's yet to be decided, Gracie. We spent our honeymoon in the Bahamas, and returned in 2006. But the place is just a little too laid back. We know three couples who've been to Jamaica and they loved it. In any event, it's definitely a serious consideration.

The destination's yet to be decided, Gracie. We spent our honeymoon in the Bahamas, and returned in 2006. But the place is just a little too laid back. We know three couples who've been to Jamaica and they loved it. In any event, it's definitely a serious consideration.
I like maui, myself. Kauai is too laid back for me. It's for romance couples and the locals hate haolies. So..Maui has always been my destination. However, if I ever did get to travel, I would want to check out Jamaica, mon'. I a'rite, from what I've been told.:lol:

Negril rocks. Especially Ricks Cafe. A girl broke her back jumping off the cliffs there two weeks before I arrived. Jamaica can be dangerous. A woman put a curse on me cause I wouldn't check out her stand at an outdoor market.........my right ear has bothered me off and on ever since 1996 and doctors can't figure it out. Average rural speed is 70 on dangerously rutted out roads and some tourists get badly mangled in auto accidents as a result. I highly recommend it!

Negril rocks. Especially Ricks Cafe. A girl broke her back jumping off the cliffs there two weeks before I arrived. Jamaica can be dangerous. A woman put a curse on me cause I wouldn't check out her stand at an outdoor market.........my right ear has bothered me off and on ever since 1996 and doctors can't figure it out. Average rural speed is 70 on dangerously rutted out roads and some tourists get badly mangled in auto accidents as a result. I highly recommend it!

Ricks is a lot like Margaritaville,visited once and I was done. To touristy for my taste.
Prefer more of a local flavor myself.
The wife and I have been known to hit Catcha and never leave. That place is the shit!
Really cool place and people.

Forum List

Back