Jewish Extremists Attack Muslim Student Appointee

sealadaigh

Rookie
Mar 12, 2012
THE NO REP ZONE
Naming of Muslim student to University of Calif. board stirs controversy

Muslim American Sadia Saifuddin's appointment as student member of University of California board strikes objection by Jewish groups. Saifuddin: 'I'm beyond blessed, very excited for this position'

Reuters Published: 07.18.13, 11:35 / Israel News

The University of California appointed a Muslim American woman as a student member of its governing board on Wednesday in a move opposed by Jewish groups that objected to her pro-Palestinian activism.

Sadia Saifuddin, a 21-year-old social welfare major at the prestigious University of California at Berkeley, will become the first Muslim student member of the 26-person board of regents for a year-long term starting in 2014.

Council on American-Islamic Relations spokesman Ibrahim Hooper said opponents who disagreed with Saifuddin's politics wanted to unjustly exclude her from civic participation.

"Anytime an American Muslim rises to a prominent position, or starts to rise to prominence, that tiny minority of 'Islamophobes' in our society goes into action and seeks to marginalize and disenfranchise that individual," Hooper said.

Naming of Muslim student to University of Calif. board stirs controversy - Israel News, Ynetnews

what a bunch of pathetic people to attack this young women...and these are the very same bigoted people who would cry "anti-semitism" at the drop of a yarmulke.

congrats sadia.

and thank you, bonnie, for having the courage to go against the grain and acting like a compassionate and understanding human being.

"Sadia is a remarkable young woman. She is committed to supporting all of UC students, and to this university and this country which she loves," said Regent Bonnie Reiss, who chaired the student regent selection committee.

Reiss, who is Jewish, said the committee would not have selected Saifuddin to be a student regent if they thought she was anti-Semitic, responding to complaints that the divestment campaign included elements of anti-Semitism.

Muslim American Sadia Saifuddin's appointment as student member of University of California board strikes objection by Jewish groups. Saifuddin: 'I'm beyond blessed, very excited for this position'

The University of California appointed a Muslim American woman as a student member of its governing board on Wednesday in a move opposed by Jewish groups that objected to her pro-Palestinian activism.

Sadia Saifuddin, a 21-year-old social welfare major at the prestigious University of California at Berkeley, will become the first Muslim student member of the 26-person board of regents for a year-long term starting in 2014.

Council on American-Islamic Relations spokesman Ibrahim Hooper said opponents who disagreed with Saifuddin's politics wanted to unjustly exclude her from civic participation.

"Anytime an American Muslim rises to a prominent position, or starts to rise to prominence, that tiny minority of 'Islamophobes' in our society goes into action and seeks to marginalize and disenfranchise that individual," Hooper said.

Naming of Muslim student to University of Calif. board stirs controversy - Israel News, Ynetnews

what a bunch of pathetic people to attack this young women...and these are the very same bigoted people who would cry "anti-semitism" at the drop of a yarmulke.

congrats sadia.

and thank you, bonnie, for having the courage to go against the grain and acting like a compassionate and understanding human being.

"Sadia is a remarkable young woman. She is committed to supporting all of UC students, and to this university and this country which she loves," said Regent Bonnie Reiss, who chaired the student regent selection committee.

Reiss, who is Jewish, said the committee would not have selected Saifuddin to be a student regent if they thought she was anti-Semitic, responding to complaints that the divestment campaign included elements of anti-Semitism.

I read several articles about her and found she is also trying to bring Jews, Muslims and people of all faiths together. I don't agree with all her views, but then again I don't agree with all of my wife's views. Leave her alone. She seems to be a fairly decent person.

congrats sadia.

Jews trying to shut up Muslims and Muslims trying to shut up Jews is nothing new.

Freedom of expression should be respected by Muslims and Jews alike.

congrats sadia.

I read several articles about her and found she is also trying to bring Jews, Muslims and people of all faiths together. I don't agree with all her views, but then again I don't agree with all of my wife's views. Leave her alone. She seems to be a fairly decent person.

People like her are the kinds of people who should be supported - they engage in the public sphere in meaningful ways without violence or hate. Attacks like this make the supporters of such appear small minded, bigoted, and hateful. Calling it anti-semitism is like Sharpton pulling the race card at every turn.

• Banned
just for the record, i only said jewish "extremists" to provide a bit of balance to the muslim "extremists". i usually don't use words like that as they imply value judgements and ultimately detract from the discussion.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center, StandWithUs, conservative commentator David Horowitz and others had called on the board to reject Saifuddin's appointment.

That ass-wipe, David Horowitz, seems to pop up in these slime campaigns.

"complaints that the divestment campaign included elements of anti-Semitism"

This was a valid reason to QUESTION her appointment: I believe she had been part of that movement.

Having said that - questioning is appropriate, but rejecting out-of-hand certainly is not. I agree with Bloodrock and others on this.

Supporting boycotts for political change does not necessarily equal anti-semitism.

Not always. But in many cases Antisemitism is the trigger. Nowdays people cannot say out loud they hate Jews, it's not respected or politically correct. So they "hide" behind Anti-Zionism and boycotts.

Yeah, like we can't see through that

Supporting boycotts for political change does not necessarily equal anti-semitism.

It's a political statement 'if' it follows on its own and doesn't exist as a sub-set within more extreme followings imho.

When I look at the sides I sometimes despair and then realize.

It never was about peaceful existence and it never will be. According to the three books.

Not always. But in many cases Antisemitism is the trigger. Nowdays people cannot say out loud they hate Jews, it's not respected or politically correct. So they "hide" behind Anti-Zionism and boycotts.

that may be true, but i think there are a lot more jews who cry anti-semitism at the drop of the hat to cover up or divert from or otherwise discourage legitimate criticism of israel.

the word has become totally meaninless.

also, i have worked with and represented all different types of minorities in front of various adjudicating panels, boards, and what have you and i have always cautioned the individual not to make frivolous charges because it will only hurt the next person down the line if he does.

jews have rendered that charge absolutely meaningless to the extent that they, let alone any non-jewish people, don't even know what if means. they do not even have a clue.

that may be true, but i think there are a lot more jews who cry anti-semitism at the drop of the hat to cover up or divert from or otherwise discourage legitimate criticism of israel.

the word has become totally meaninless.

also, i have worked with and represented all different types of minorities in front of various adjudicating panels, boards, and what have you and i have always cautioned the individual not to make frivolous charges because it will only hurt the next person down the line if he does.

jews have rendered that charge absolutely meaningless to the extent that they, let alone any non-jewish people, don't even know what if means. they do not even have a clue.

So, as far as both of you are concerned it's all about "Jews" and not the I/P issue.

:doubt:

That's one reason why a Western Style peace will not come.

There also seems to be a need for a Jew sub forum.

:doubt:

The problem arises though, when you "see through that" by inserting motivations or meanings to people or their words that aren't there. That's why I compare it to Al Sharpton, an American political figure who pulls the race card at every opportunity.

I did no say so, because I do not believe so. HOWEVER, if one looks at some of the statements made by SOME 'BDS' enthusiasts, there are some who are absolutely anti-Semitic - sometimes very blatantly and in quite bizarre language.

I know that there has been some discussion within the 'Palestinian cause' of this as a problem.

The ultra-extremists of EVERY 'side' need to be written off for whatever 'cause' to remain true to itself - whether that 'cause' is Palestinian rights, environmental protection, transparency in government, whatever.

All RC priests are not pedophiles - and the cause of cleaning the Church of pedophiles doesn't need the 'support' of homophobes or anti-religionists. Just for a specific example which is NOT related to the current discussion.

The problem arises though, when you "see through that" by inserting motivations or meanings to people or their words that aren't there. That's why I compare it to Al Sharpton, an American political figure who pulls the race card at every opportunity.

Tell me how should I see a post that calls the blessed and injured city of Sderot "An Illegal settlement"?

Forum List

Back