Jobless claims at a 49 year low...

What percent of Federal payroll taxes come from employer?

• Employers DON"T pay payroll taxes they just keep profits

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Employers pay less than employees do

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Employers match employees payroll tax of 6.2%

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The number of people receiving food aid under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as “food stamps”) rose by a third under Obama.

In Obama’s last month in office, there were just under 42.7 million Americans receiving SNAP assistance, a gain of 10.7 million or just under 33.5 percent from January 2009.

Why are 47 million Americans on food stamps? It’s the recession — mostly.

Defenders of the program typically argue that enrollment rose because we had a horrific recession and unemployment hit the stratosphere. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is supposed to kick in to help families hit by economic distress. The program has kept 4.7 million people out of poverty. There's no problem here. And so on.

Some conservatives, meanwhile, have emphasized that a big chunk of the increase is due to policy changes by Washington. In 2008, Congress allowed states to relax their standards for who could join the program. (Jobless adults could stay in the program if they lived in high-unemployment areas, for instance.) Then, as part of the 2009 stimulus bill, Congress temporarily boosted food-stamp benefits — the average benefit was $133 per month last year, although that increase expires this November.

So which explanation is right? Most evidence suggests that food-stamp enrollment has mainly risen due to the recession — although policy changes have played a smaller role:

Back in April 2012, the Congressional Budget Office estimatedthat about "20 percent of the growth in [food-stamp] spending can be attributed to temporarily higher benefit amounts enacted in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA). The remainder stemmed from other factors, such as higher food prices and lower income among beneficiaries, both of which boost benefits."

They looked at the historical relationship between food-stamp enrollment and the economy prior to the most recent recession. When unemployment rose, food-stamp use always did too. And the current increase in food-stamp enrollment is in line with this historical pattern.

"We find that changes in local unemployment can explain at least two-thirds of the increase in enrollment from 2007 to 2011," they write. Meanwhile, state-level changes that allowed more people to apply for the program explain about 18 percent of the increase. "Total SNAP spending today is 6 percent higher than it would be without these increases in eligibility."

Another question, meanwhile, is why food stamp use hasn't fallen after the recession officially ended in 2009. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities recently argued that this isn't such a big mystery. Unemployment in the United States is still extremely high. And there are still 47 million Americans living in poverty — the highest number in two decades, according to the Census.

What's more, the Congressional Budget Office found that "decreases in [food-stamp] participation typically lagged improvement in the economy by several years." So the current plateau isn't unusual. The Congressional Budget Office expects the number of food-stamp recipients to decline by 14 million, or 30 percent, in the next 10 years as the economy improves:

These numbers are relevant to the ongoing debate in Congress over food stamps. House Republicans recently passed a bill that would tighten many of those relaxed eligibility requirements. The GOP's changes would save $40 billion over 10 years and push about 3.8 million people out of the program over the coming year.

Republicans, for their part, argue that the changes will give people incentive to get back to work. For example, many states currently allow jobless adults without children to stay on food stamps if they're living in high-unemployment areas. The GOP bill would cut these adults off if they don't find work or enroll in job-training or community service. (This change alone will save $19 billion over 10 years.)

I can't argue with this

Jobless claims fall again to reach new 49-year low of 201,000

Initial jobless claims, a rough proxy for layoffs, fell by 3,000 to 201,000 in the seven days ended Sept. 15. That’s below the 208,000 MarketWatch forecast and marks the lowest level since Nov. 12, 1969.

Now other than showing the economy, jobs, etc are better than they have been in a long time guess what else is happening????
Payroll tax revenues increase.
And I'll share more after poll results are shown.
View attachment 217495

Good to see the trend from the last 6 years continuing! That is good news indeed.
Too bad tax revenue is down 9,725,000,000 for the FY since the tax cuts kicked in. In a time of economic boom we really should be increasing revenue, not decreasing it.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com
Anemic, seriously! The guy had seven years to boom an economy. Obama did nothing to help, he just let the economy ride the prevailing winds.Trump "boomed" it.

Initial jobless claims, a rough proxy for layoffs, fell by 3,000 to 201,000 in the seven days ended Sept. 15. That’s below the 208,000 MarketWatch forecast and marks the lowest level since Nov. 12, 1969.

Now other than showing the economy, jobs, etc are better than they have been in a long time guess what else is happening????
View attachment 217495

Good to see the trend from the last 6 years continuing! That is good news indeed.
Too bad tax revenue is down 9,725,000,000 for the FY since the tax cuts kicked in. In a time of economic boom we really should be increasing revenue, not decreasing it.

Anemic, seriously! The guy had seven years to boom an economy. Obama did nothing to help, he just let the economy ride the prevailing winds.Trump "boomed" it.
which Charts, show that?

View attachment 217495

which Charts, show that?
Oh here is a chart of comments that oh boy they certainly "HELPED" the economy!!! RIGHT!!!
Obama-Antibusinessstatements.png

View attachment 217495

which Charts, show that?
Pretty much any you choose. Food stamps are down, but that is generally considered a good thing.

View attachment 217495

which Charts, show that?
Oh here is a chart of comments that oh boy they certainly "HELPED" the economy!!! RIGHT!!!
View attachment 217807
Actions speak louder than words.

View attachment 217495

which Charts, show that?
Pretty much any you choose. Food stamps are down, but that is generally considered a good thing.
Charts have been showing that trend for several years.

View attachment 217495

which Charts, show that?

No actually "charts" have shown for example under Obama food stamps had almost doubled from about 27 million in 2008 to almost 48 million in 2013.
Again Obama's philosophy as a community organizer is the community, i.e. govt., i.e. the rich should support the poor.
peoplefoodstampsObama.png

View attachment 217495

which Charts, show that?
It is a matter of degree. If there is any hope of accommodating a growing population, trends mus go up and almost always do, especially in the wake of a recession. Afterer years of eneimic growth, the ecomomy has boomed in the last year.

which Charts, show that?

No actually "charts" have shown for example under Obama food stamps had almost doubled from about 27 million in 2008 to almost 48 million in 2013.
Again Obama's philosophy as a community organizer is the community, i.e. govt., i.e. the rich should support the poor.
View attachment 217809
Charts have been showing that trend for several years; when did Your Guy, get in office.

which Charts, show that?
It is a matter of degree. If there is any hope of accommodating a growing population, trends mus go up and almost always do, especially in the wake of a recession. Afterer years of eneimic growth, the ecomomy has boomed in the last year.
right wing fantasy claims nothing happened until Their Guy, got into office.

The number of people receiving food aid under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly known as “food stamps”) rose by a third under Obama.

In Obama’s last month in office, there were just under 42.7 million Americans receiving SNAP assistance, a gain of 10.7 million or just under 33.5 percent from January 2009.

This is one thing I won't argue with conservatives about. If you want welfare or food stamps, you should have to work for it. Even if just 10 hours a week. Do you know what that will do? That will make the people who don't really need it not come to get it. If all you have to do is go fill out some forms and then start getting your free money/food every month no questions asked for an indefinite amount of time, why would anyone ever stop getting it? Make them work even 5 hours a week and most of these lazy slackers will find another way to put food on the table. Or maybe they don't buy that X Box game counsel or maybe they only smoke 2 packs a day knowing that their kid needs food.

I know a lot of people who are on SNAP but don't really NEED it. They qualify for it but they don't need it. IMO only people with kids should be getting SNAP.

Oh the entire system is broken but the Leftists don't understand how it works. They just want "free" stuff and don't understand that it is not actually free.
I disagree. For years we saw all the profits going to the owners none to the workers. We organized and along with the new deal we created a middle class the world had ever seen before.

Yes those owners and corporations were important too. You guys ever since about Reagan have shit on the middle class. Only you’ve blamed us for jobs going overseas. It wasn’t us. It was you. You wanted to break the unions because they got pensions profit sharing high wages and great healthcare.

Let’s see a less liberal America replicate that. They won’t. But guys like you and me will do alright.

Fuck blue collar and labor. They either don’t vote or voted for trump

This is one thing I won't argue with conservatives about. If you want welfare or food stamps, you should have to work for it. Even if just 10 hours a week. Do you know what that will do? That will make the people who don't really need it not come to get it. If all you have to do is go fill out some forms and then start getting your free money/food every month no questions asked for an indefinite amount of time, why would anyone ever stop getting it? Make them work even 5 hours a week and most of these lazy slackers will find another way to put food on the table. Or maybe they don't buy that X Box game counsel or maybe they only smoke 2 packs a day knowing that their kid needs food.

I know a lot of people who are on SNAP but don't really NEED it. They qualify for it but they don't need it. IMO only people with kids should be getting SNAP.

Oh the entire system is broken but the Leftists don't understand how it works. They just want "free" stuff and don't understand that it is not actually free.
I disagree. For years we saw all the profits going to the owners none to the workers. We organized and along with the new deal we created a middle class the world had ever seen before.

Yes those owners and corporations were important too. You guys ever since about Reagan have shit on the middle class. Only you’ve blamed us for jobs going overseas. It wasn’t us. It was you. You wanted to break the unions because they got pensions profit sharing high wages and great healthcare.

Let’s see a less liberal America replicate that. They won’t. But guys like you and me will do alright.

Are you for Free Healthcare for All?

View attachment 217495

And a big bust will follow. What will he do then? He already gave corporations everything. Nothing left to give

Nothings free. I’m for socialized medicine and a private market for things that aren’t necessary or for people who want better.

You know how the VA sucks but service people use it until they one day get better insurance? Something like that. Won’t be as good as your private stuff but it’s better than nothing

Nothings free. I’m for socialized medicine and a private market for things that aren’t necessary or for people who want better.

You know how the VA sucks but service people use it until they one day get better insurance? Something like that. Won’t be as good as your private stuff but it’s better than nothing

Why are you for socialized medicine? Since you know nothing is for free? And if it is not as good why would we want it? You seem logical. I don't follow your line of thinking.

Why are you for socialized medicine? Since you know nothing is for free? And if it is not as good why would we want it? You seem logical. I don't follow your line of thinking.
I’ve been unemployed. And I know people who’ve gotten sick and didn’t have healthcare. I wish everyone could have the basics. They won’t let anyone die. But anything extra is gonna cost you. So I would get supplemental healthcare through my company. In other words better than the VA. We already have a system like this. My brother is a vp. He has Cadillac healthcare. You know who used to have that? My dad when he worked at ford. So did all the big three employees. This is another way the middle class is getting poorer. Healthcare is breaking a lot of us.

We spend more now and get less. We could do it right spend the same and cover everyone. At least from dying.

Capital has to circulate under capitalism.

With a fifteen dollar an hour minimum wage and unemployment compensation for simply being unemployed; markets could function "more normally".

Just socialism providing "automatic stabilization" for capitalism and capital based markets.

Forum List

Back