John Adams

Procrustes Stretched

This place is nothing without the membership.
Dec 1, 2008
"During John Adams's presidency, the American population increased from 4.7 million to 5.3 million people—a 35-percent increase since 1790. Four out of five families farmed the land. Most of their produce was consumed on the farm or exchanged within the local community. Only twelve cities in the United States held more than 5,000 people, and only 3 percent of the population was urban. At that time, the greatest growth in the nation occurred in the area west of the Appalachian Mountains. The frontier town of Cincinnati, located on the Ohio River, was the most distant outpost. By 1800—the first century of the new Republic—500,000 people, principally from Virginia and Maryland, had migrated to these western lands. Kentucky and Tennessee both had populations large enough to be admitted to the Union as states in 1792 and 1796, respectively. New Englanders had moved into upstate New York and Ohio while people in New Jersey moved into western Pennsylvania."

Growing up in Boston I was always interested in Adams. There was so little of his legacy to be found outside of Quincy. I became obsessed with researching the colonial era because of him. He was a Federalist, but not a 'high' federalist. He was certainly a mover and shaker like few others of his era and generation.

Doesn't hurt that John Adams is a distant relation. LOL A Mayflower madam married into my family line (1600s in North America) 3 generations ago. When this came to my attention during genealogical search, it hit up with my colonial research. And Adams had been one of my favorites of that era. Boom! Two interests came together as one. It was a joy.

The American story is my family story.

"During John Adams's presidency, the American population increased from 4.7 million to 5.3 million people—a 35-percent increase since 1790. Four out of five families farmed the land. Most of their produce was consumed on the farm or exchanged within the local community. Only twelve cities in the United States held more than 5,000 people, and only 3 percent of the population was urban. At that time, the greatest growth in the nation occurred in the area west of the Appalachian Mountains. The frontier town of Cincinnati, located on the Ohio River, was the most distant outpost. By 1800—the first century of the new Republic—500,000 people, principally from Virginia and Maryland, had migrated to these western lands. Kentucky and Tennessee both had populations large enough to be admitted to the Union as states in 1792 and 1796, respectively. New Englanders had moved into upstate New York and Ohio while people in New Jersey moved into western Pennsylvania."

Growing up in Boston I was always interested in Adams. There was so little of his legacy to be found outside of Quincy. I became obsessed with researching the colonial era because of him. He was a Federalist, but not a 'high' federalist. He was certainly a mover and shaker like few others of his era and generation.
You would be a fan of Adams who embraced the power of the federal government and also the Alien and Sedition Acts that made it illegal to speak out against the federal government. Luckily, however, Jefferson kicked his arse in an election and overturned most of it.

What was left was used by FDR, another favorite of yours, to lock up innocent Japanese Americans.

Just imagine not being able to speak out against a President Trump. Your little head would explode.

:auiqs.jpg:

You would be a fan of Adams who embraced the power of the federal government and also the Alien and Sedition Acts that made it illegal to speak out against the federal government. Luckily, however, Jefferson kicked his arse in an election and overturned most of it.

What was left was used by FDR, another favorite of yours, to lock up innocent Japanese Americans.

Just imagine not being able to speak out against a President Trump. Your little head would explode.

:auiqs.jpg:

You know so "liddle"

For many reasons Jefferson was called sneaky and hypocritical by more than a few of his peers. Not one single framer or founder was without flaws.

Now go back to The chopping down of cherry trees.

Votto go troll elsewhere

Last edited:
You know so "liddle"
Well you must have been in hog heaven when people were being censored everywhere for speaking out against the vaccine or Joe Biden.

Alas, the golden John Adam days, only, you could not throw them all in prison. To do that, they had to protest at the Capital first.

The life of Founding Father John Adams is relatively easy to document because of the correspondence between him and his wife Abigail. The John Adams T.V. series is is a classic.
Yes. And he was on many committees of the Continental Congress. For the cause, he did more than many. Much about him is mischaracterized and David McCullough's book is but one great resource to introduce people to Adams.

In the Netherlands. The place where many early North American, colonial settlers from England had ties.

The John Adams Institute​

Welcoming the best and brightest of American thinking​

In the Netherlands. The place where many early North American, colonial settlers from England had ties.

The John Adams Institute​

Welcoming the best and brightest of American thinking​

How do you feel about this John Adams quote?

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.

John Adams

How do you feel about this John Adams quote?

"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other."

John Adams
Your ignorance is not blissful.

You have literally nothing to say.

As I suspected
I don't do dueling quotes, and I'm far too informed to see quotes taken out of context and try and explain what they mean, why there were uttered/written, and...

My nothing is far superior to your ignorance.

now please, again.. go troll elsewhere.

I don't do dueling quotes, and I'm far too informed to see quotes taken out of context and try and explain what they mean, why there were uttered/written, and...

My nothing is far superior to your ignorance.

now please, again.. go troll elsewhere.
So, you are able to use your words to be an arrogant prick but not to make any valid points

Understood.

That massive intellect must be getting in your way again.

Why not and just admit you are embarrassed by quotes like this of his?

So, you are able to use your words to be an arrogant prick but not to make any valid points

Understood.

That massive intellect must be getting in your way again.

Why not and just admit you are embarrassed by quotes like this of his?

go away Votto
go away

:th_Back_2_Topic_2:

quotes:
One of the key insights that John Adams gleaned from his studies was that republican government depended not just on the right institutions but also on the people’s character. No country could remain free for long, in his view, unless its citizens exhibited a sense of civic virtue – a willingness to put the public good ahead of their own – for otherwise politics would be little more than an insoluble clash of conflicting interests.

Yet Adams was never entirely persuaded that the American people possessed the requisite sense of duty. As early as January 1776, he fretted that “there is So much Rascallity, so much Venality and Corruption, so much Avarice and Ambition, such a Rage for Profit and Commerce among all Ranks and Degrees of Men even in America, that I sometimes doubt whether there is public Virtue enough to support a Republic.”

The Disillusionment of America’s Founders

By the end of their lives, America’s leading founders were surprisingly disappointed in the government and the nation that they had helped to create. In fact, most of them – including George Washington, Alexander Hamilton, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson – came to deem America’s constitutional experiment an utter failure that was unlikely to last beyond their own generation. In this series Dennis C. Rasmussen draws on his new book, ‘Fears of a Setting Sun’, to tell the fascinating and too-little-known story of the founders’ disillusionment.

In fact, Madison lost more battles than he won in Philadelphia, including a number of those that he regarded as most important, and at the Convention’s close he deemed the Constitution to be radically defective.

Yet Madison soon grew reconciled to the Constitution, and indeed became one of its biggest admirers, in a way that his coauthor of The Federalist, Alexander Hamilton, never quite did. And his confidence in America’s constitutional order endured, unbroken if not quite undisturbed, for almost another half century – not only through the 1790s, by the end of which Washington, Hamilton, and Adams had all grown disillusioned, and not only through Jefferson’s despondent final years, but also through much of the turbulent Jacksonian era.

Madison’s confidence can be attributed, at least in part, simply to his temperament. He was far more composed and even-tempered than the passionate Jefferson, the fiery Hamilton, the irascible Adams, or even Washington, whose pent-up anger occasionally burst through the stoic façade that he generally showed to the world. Madison’s unflappable disposition no doubt contributed to his lack of despair.

Forum List

Back