John Kerry: We could have shot the jet down.

Should the Russian jet been shot down prior to reaching our ship?

• Hell yeah!

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
You are so very wrong and ignorant of a US Navy ship Captain's duty and obligation, as well as the crew's, to protect his ship. If that CO felt his ship was in eminent danger, he didn't need anyone's permission to take aggressive action to defend his ship from attack. Notification to higher authority in the chain of command AFTER THE FACT is required in situations that would not admit delay, you opinion notwithstanding!

The rules of engagement are set by the military, he can't ignore them.

Your criticism should be of the White House. In the past, a huge advantage of the Military is that we set rules and allow our commanders to act in the field. This white house as all authoritarian leftists through history are control freaks.

It's Obama and Kerry that set the policy. Take the criticism where it is due
I note that you have supplied MORE than ample proof of your assertions above... YOUR UNSUBSTANTIATED OPINION! Laughable!!!

Got Milk, too?

It's not an opinion. There is a whole raft of ROE's that any ships Captain receives upon assuming command. This is well known to those who actually read.
No shit Sherlock! Speaking of reading, you should do some more of that reading thingy of what I wrote before sticking both feet in your mouth and appearing, well, less than your potential.
Anyone that knows ANYTHING about the military knows that the chain of command is how it functions. Captains of ships are acting under orders and departing from that and firing because they feel threatened ain't gonna cut it. That street thinking, not military.

IF you were in the Navy you weren't much more than a deck ape.
You have your opinion, and I have the experience. Which is more credible, fool? Perhaps the Coast Guard would combine the Deck and Operations Departments, but I sure as hell wouldn't want a deck ape standing a watch in CIC tracking a target on a radar repeater.

Stop your hysterics people

Here's why the Navy didn't shoot down the Russian fighter jets that buzzed by a US destroyer

"You don’t get to kill people just because they’re being annoying," retired frigate and cruiser commanding officer Capt. Rick Hoffman told the Navy Timesabout the incident.

"We’re not at war with Russia," Capt. Rick Hoffman said.

"It would be one thing to be operating and have a threatening attack profile from someone who might not recognize me — that’s not the case here."

As a former commander of a cruiser that protected aircraft carriers and amphibious-assault vehicles from airborne attacks, Hoffman knows how to deal with threatening aircraft.

The Russian planes, Su-24s, had no visible weapons during the passes, and at no point did the USS Cook detect that the Russians were trying to lock onto them with a missile.

They weren't being "annoying," they were threatening. Riddle me this, Batman. Why didn't we just turn around and do the same thing to a Russian ship?

Because .. Putin would have shot it down ...
That ship spends all of its time just off the coast of Russia in the black sea. It's basically constantly buzzing Russia. And all Putin does is send an unarmed jet flying by every once in a while.

I note that you have supplied MORE than ample proof of your assertions above... YOUR UNSUBSTANTIATED OPINION! Laughable!!!

Got Milk, too?

It's not an opinion. There is a whole raft of ROE's that any ships Captain receives upon assuming command. This is well known to those who actually read.
No shit Sherlock! Speaking of reading, you should do some more of that reading thingy of what I wrote before sticking both feet in your mouth and appearing, well, less than your potential.

What is it you think I said that you're arguing against? You don't even know, do you?
Your post #32 here;

Your criticism should be of the White House. In the past, a huge advantage of the Military is that we set rules and allow our commanders to act in the field. This white house as all authoritarian leftists through history are control freaks.
You're the one with the issues. You were Army or Air Force or none of the above?

So you think the because I think the rules of engagement in a contentious area with the Russians came from the top? That means I'm clueless? Wow, you just proved how clueless you are
Now you're making shit up. Come here straw man...I got a match!

So you were never in any branch of the military, eh? Why am I not surprised!

No way can they fire on anything without going through the chain of command.
You are so very wrong and ignorant of a US Navy ship Captain's duty and obligation, as well as the crew's, to protect his ship. If that CO felt his ship was in eminent danger, he didn't need anyone's permission to take aggressive action to defend his ship from attack. Notification to higher authority in the chain of command AFTER THE FACT is required in situations that would not admit delay, you opinion notwithstanding!
That depends on what that Captains OPRD's were.

Here's why the Navy didn't shoot down the Russian fighter jets that buzzed by a US destroyer

"You don’t get to kill people just because they’re being annoying," retired frigate and cruiser commanding officer Capt. Rick Hoffman told the Navy Timesabout the incident.

"It would be one thing to be operating and have a threatening attack profile from someone who might not recognize me — that’s not the case here."

As a former commander of a cruiser that protected aircraft carriers and amphibious-assault vehicles from airborne attacks, Hoffman knows how to deal with threatening aircraft.

The Russian planes, Su-24s, had no visible weapons during the passes, and at no point did the USS Cook detect that the Russians were trying to lock onto them with a missile.

They weren't being "annoying," they were threatening. Riddle me this, Batman. Why didn't we just turn around and do the same thing to a Russian ship?

That ship spends all of its time just off the coast of Russia in the black sea. It's basically constantly buzzing Russia. And all Putin does is send an unarmed jet flying by every once in a while.

30 feet isn't "flying by." I would totally warned it and waited until it reached a fairly close distance. But at two miles ignoring warnings and flying straight at our ship is an act of aggression.

Again, batman, why didn't we do the same to a Russian ship? We care about the lives of our pilots, and they would have been shot down. Putin didn't care

What is it you think I said that you're arguing against? You don't even know, do you?
Your post #32 here;

You're the one with the issues. You were Army or Air Force or none of the above?

So you think the because I think the rules of engagement in a contentious area with the Russians came from the top? That means I'm clueless? Wow, you just proved how clueless you are
Now you're making shit up. Come here straw man...I got a match!

So you were never in any branch of the military, eh? Why am I not surprised!

So just to be clear, you are saying that the ROEs for a ship off the Russian coast would not have gone to Obama and Kerry for signoff. You seriously believe that? Feel behind your ears, it is actually wet, isn't it?

30 feet isn't "flying by." I would totally warned it and waited until it reached a fairly close distance. But at two miles ignoring warnings and flying straight at our ship is an act of aggression.

Again, batman, why didn't we do the same to a Russian ship? We care about the lives of our pilots, and they would have been shot down. Putin didn't care

If a Russian warship comes within a few miles of our borders, maybe we will. Putin wouldn't dare do that of course.

I say hell yeah, this was pure Russian aggression. Putin is just laughing at us and our spineless wuss of a President. This isn't the endless games our militaries play, he crossed the line. And he did it on purpose to embarrass us. And it worked, our spineless President again showed what he is. No wonder the world doesn't take us seriously

Yo, they know they can do it, and nothing will happen, they learned this from N. Korea and Iran!!!

"GTP"
It Comes Down To The Balless President!
Turkey Didn`t Mess Around! Blew That Bitch Out Of The Sky!
30928e71-03fc-4110-b084-bfb76d97abe2_tv_w900_r1_s.jpg

After the first fly by, a warning was given. Any further fly by is an act of aggression and the commander could have ordered a shoot down. Hell, the Turks would have shot them down They like to down Russian planes.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
A lot of people don't remember that during the cold war the soviets would do this garbage all the time. They would fly their jets up to our border and then turn around. They were like mock attack runs. I suspect that the purpose was to get us to shoot one of their planes down so they can say the United States started a war with them just like the NAZIs who had to tell their people that the polish were invading them. I actually wonder if not do anything at all is the best course of action.

If a Russian warship comes within a few miles of our borders, maybe we will. Putin wouldn't dare do that of course.

Yes, Obama's criticisms are cutting, Putin wouldn't dare walk into that buzz saw again

Yes, Obama's criticisms are cutting, Putin wouldn't dare walk into that buzz saw again
Totally over your head I see.

Well this is the Obama administration so I have no idea what our response was....
Were the planes warned off while they were still some distance away....
If so then clearly that did not work....
Was the ship aware they were out there....

I would like someone in the news division at one of the networks if we still have news divisions
not entertainment news to find out and report what the deal was...

Why did we allow Russian fighter jets to get so close....
How come we didn't have a few planes in the air to get on their ass....

We look bad in this.

Totally over your head I see.

Yes, obviously Obama owns Putin, I'm just not seeing it.

Moron

Crazy how conservatives want a dramatic, unplanned, reactionary escalation into all out war in the black sea with Russia.
Russia has been pulling Uncle Sam's beard since WWII ended. And getting away with it. We are going to have to fight the sonsabitches sooner or later. Maybe if we had a POTUS with balls and had a few planes shot down they would take a hint.

No way can they fire on anything without going through the chain of command.
That depends on what that Captains OPRD's were.
The CO's of US Navy vessels do not receive Army OPORD's. The structure of the US Navy is a little different than the US Army.

Forum List

Back