John Kerry: We could have shot the jet down.

Should the Russian jet been shot down prior to reaching our ship?

• Hell yeah!

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jesus fucking Christ you people are ridiculous.
Shooting down some Russian planes or dropping a low yield nuke in an uninhabited area in Russia is one way to avoid an all out war. Don't think the Pentagon doesn't have a contingency plan for such an action.

Crazy how conservatives want a dramatic, unplanned, reactionary escalation into all out war in the black sea with Russia.

It is amazing that some people think that Russia has to nuke a few cities before they think we have a right to attack.

Crazy how conservatives want a dramatic, unplanned, reactionary escalation into all out war in the black sea with Russia.

It is amazing that some people think that Russia has to nuke a few cities before they think we have a right to attack.
And just when you think the conversation can't descend even further into stupidity, SuperDemocrat jumps in right on cue

Shooting down some Russian planes or dropping a low yield nuke in an uninhabited area in Russia is one way to avoid an all out war. Don't think the Pentagon doesn't have a contingency plan for such an action.
Wow
War is not the same animal as it was even 50 years ago. A preemptive strike is a prudent thing to do in this age.
Wow and then you manage to beat out SuperDemocrat! How will he/she respond?

I say hell yeah, this was pure Russian aggression. Putin is just laughing at us and our spineless wuss of a President. This isn't the endless games our militaries play, he crossed the line. And he did it on purpose to embarrass us. And it worked, our spineless President again showed what he is. No wonder the world doesn't take us seriously

I believe from what I read the U.S. knew this jet was unarmed, so, I'd have to vote no.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
Wow
War is not the same animal as it was even 50 years ago. A preemptive strike is a prudent thing to do in this age.
You might have studied Sun Tzu instead of reading crotch novels and you could understand what war is and how its fought.

Wow
You might have studied Sun Tzu instead of reading crotch novels and you could understand what war is and how its fought.
Yes I'm sure Sun Tzu would be all about dropping pre-emptive nukes on anyone we perceive as a potential future enemy.

Holy fuck guys.

Wow
Yes I'm sure Sun Tzu would be all about dropping pre-emptive nukes on anyone we perceive as a potential future enemy.

Holy fuck guys.

I don't believe anyone is advocating this... or, I certainly hope not, 'cause that's, well, just crazy talk.

Wow

Holy fuck guys.
Russia has been our primary enemy since before WWII

Holy fuck guys.

I don't believe anyone is advocating this... or, I certainly hope not, 'cause that's, well, just crazy talk.
Post #17

I say hell yeah, this was pure Russian aggression. Putin is just laughing at us and our spineless wuss of a President. This isn't the endless games our militaries play, he crossed the line. And he did it on purpose to embarrass us. And it worked, our spineless President again showed what he is. No wonder the world doesn't take us seriously
from the mouth of an old bloated lunatic Rambo wannabe

Holy fuck guys.

Post #17

Well, ok, I went back and read that.

Like I said, that's nutz. We're gonna start WW III and possibly Armageddon over an unarmed buzzing?

Holy fuck guys.

I don't advocate it or want to see it but it is a strategy. Russia, China and North Korea have been provoking the US for years. Sooner or later........

No shit Sherlock! Speaking of reading, you should do some more of that reading thingy of what I wrote before sticking both feet in your mouth and appearing, well, less than your potential.

What is it you think I said that you're arguing against? You don't even know, do you?
Your post #32 here;
The rules of engagement are set by the military, he can't ignore them.

Your criticism should be of the White House. In the past, a huge advantage of the Military is that we set rules and allow our commanders to act in the field. This white house as all authoritarian leftists through history are control freaks.
You're the one with the issues. You were Army or Air Force or none of the above?

So you think the because I think the rules of engagement in a contentious area with the Russians came from the top? That means I'm clueless? Wow, you just proved how clueless you are
Now you're making shit up. Come here straw man...I got a match!

So you were never in any branch of the military, eh? Why am I not surprised!

So just to be clear, you are saying that the ROEs for a ship off the Russian coast would not have gone to Obama and Kerry for signoff. You seriously believe that? Feel behind your ears, it is actually wet, isn't it?
Don't be fucking absurd! Get out of that armchair Admiral/General! Even LBJ and Robert McNamara didn't get that far into the weeds during the Vietnam War to get right down to individual units and destroyers. Get some more of that aluminum foil for your hats! How many black helicopter have you seen today? DAMN!!!!

Well this is the Obama administration so I have no idea what our response was....
Were the planes warned off while they were still some distance away....
If so then clearly that did not work....
Was the ship aware they were out there....

I would like someone in the news division at one of the networks if we still have news divisions
not entertainment news to find out and report what the deal was...

Why did we allow Russian fighter jets to get so close....
How come we didn't have a few planes in the air to get on their ass....

We look bad in this.

First off, these aircraft fly at high speeds, and probably came at the aircraft at around 500 to 600 knots, meaning that they were flying fast enough that little warning could be had due to their speed. If they were flying low to the water, their chances of being picked up on radar would be lower than if they were flying at normal altitude.

After the planes passed by on the first flyover, the skipper should have put the entire ship at GQ and lit off the fire control radars and painted the aircraft with them. Those airplanes have threat detectors onboard that let them know when an enemy radar is targeting them. With them having zero weapons onboard, they would have probably bugged out after the first lite up.

As far as why weren't there other aircraft to buzz them? Sorry, but frigates and cruisers don't have fixed wing aircraft onboard, the only ones that have that are carriers. And, if a carrier wasn't anywhere close around, there is no way that we could have launched any aircraft to tangle with the Russians.

Apparently, the jet did not carry out hostilities.

Forum List

Back