John le Carré on Trump: ‘Something seriously bad is happening’

The rise of fascism in the 1930's is like the Don's rise to power...Hmmm,, I don't see Trump as a dictator, nor do I see the legislative branch following his lead..
B-b-but...Trump is literally Hitler! How can you say otherwise? He's white and he is a Republican president. That's all you need to know he is literally Hitler.

Who da heck is that?
He's a really good spy novelist. Started with "Spy Who Came In From the Cold" way back in the '60's. His three or so novels on a Russian mole in MI6 were really good.

As a former Brit spy, he would have a very good handle of the intelligence community.
Based on Trump's heavy usage of calling the real press, "fake", it certainly replicates Germany in the 30's. Any historian can recognize that ploy.
A brief history of 'Lügenpresse,' the Nazi-era predecessor to Trump's 'fake news'
Then there's Trump's white supremacist tendencies and history. The Atlantic has a superb article about Trump's history and current actions.
Donald Trump Is the First White President - The Atlantic

Who da heck is that?
He's a really good spy novelist. Started with "Spy Who Came In From the Cold" way back in the '60's. His three or so novels on a Russian mole in MI6 were really good.

As a former Brit spy, he would have a very good handle of the intelligence community.
Based on Trump's heavy usage of calling the real press, "fake", it certainly replicates Germany in the 30's. Any historian can recognize that ploy.
A brief history of 'Lügenpresse,' the Nazi-era predecessor to Trump's 'fake news'
Then there's Trump's white supremacist tendencies and history. The Atlantic has a superb article about Trump's history and current actions.
Donald Trump Is the First White President - The Atlantic
Did you catch when the UN guy criticized Trump for his unending attack on the press, as if he were a tinpot dictator? There was very little press on it. To me it was so embarrassing that our Pres would be chewed out for something like that. Not that the guy from the UN was off-base, but that our Pres does act like that.

Trump put DACA back in Congress's lap, just like Hitler did in the 30's, amiright???

But John Oliver is still with us, right? Don't tell me that we lost John Oliver too?!

Oh my, I always thought John le Carré was conservative.

John le Carré on Trump: ‘Something seriously bad is happening’

John le Carré, one of Britain’s greatest living writers, has spoken of the “toxic” parallels between the rise of Donald Trump and the rise of 1930s fascism.

In a rare public appearance, the 85-year-old novelist and former spy spoke of his disdain for Trump and his despair for the US and the wider world.

“Something truly, seriously bad is happening and from my point of view we have to be awake to that,” he told an audience at the Royal Festival Hall in London.

“These stages that Trump is going through in the United States and the stirring of racial hatred … a kind of burning of the books as he attacks, as he declares real news as fake news, the law becomes fake news, everything becomes fake news.

“I think of all things that were happening across Europe in the 1930s, in Spain, in Japan, obviously in Germany. To me, these are absolutely comparable signs of the rise of fascism and it’s contagious, it’s infectious. Fascism is up and running in Poland and Hungary. There’s an encouragement about.”

<more>

If there were a rise of fascism in this country due to Trump, then why are so many people trying to come here, including muslims? You'd think it would be the exact opposite, with people trying to leave before things really got bad.

Forum List

Back