Johns Hopkins Hospital Under Union Attack!

So greedy union members against greedy management and doctors, yeah?

They are asking for a 40% increase in wages? :lol:

Where are the union busters when you need them?

Unfortunately Maryland is not a right to work state, so unions can do as they please. They can deny employment to qualified individuals in favor of less qualified ones simply because the qualified ones refuse to join the union.

The current wages range from $10.71 to $27.88 per hour. These wages are mainly for unskilled jobs that usually require little to no experience. Many Americans who are out of work would be more than happy to work these jobs at the current wages.
The expired contract had the lowest-paid workers starting at $10.71 an hour, with the best-paid earning as much as $27.88.

The union refused a minimum wage salary of $12.25/hr. This for jobs that for the most part require unskilled workers.
Hopkins, however, is adamant in negotiations that the $15 minimum wage is not affordable, according to Johnson, who says the offers put on the table thus far have been paltry. The most recent would see the minimum rise to only $12.25 in the fifth year of the contract, an offer that prompted the strike action this week, according to Johnson.

Striking Workers Shame Prestigious Johns Hopkins Hospital Over Low Pay - Working In These Times

Unfortunately Maryland is not a right to work state, so unions can do as they please. They can deny employment to qualified individuals in favor of less qualified ones simply because the qualified ones refuse to join the union.

I'm all for better wages for working stiffs after three decades of flat wages. But it appears the union wants to make up for all those flats wages in one swift action and in my mind that's a pretty bad move.
Something less severe would get my support but 40%,,nope.

I'm all for better wages for working stiffs after three decades of flat wages. But it appears the union wants to make up for all those flats wages in one swift action and in my mind that's a pretty bad move.
Something less severe would get my support but 40%,,nope.
Absolutely. The union refused a legitimate increase to a guaranteed minimum wage of 12.25/hr. Some workers already earn much more. If the union somehow gets their way, then the only way to accommodate their request without cutting the salaries of skilled workers would be to initiate layoffs. This would ultimately result in fewer patient services.

Minimum wage should be $23.50/hr, but some would argue that it's more important to increase corporate Americas cash holding to $200 Trillion.

Forum List

Back