Judge rules NC can't make sure only citizens are voting

Judge strikes down NC voter ID law OK’d by voters

What a piece of shit. I hope they appeal this all the way to the SC.

What a piece of shit indeed!!! You lied in your thread title, and you're lying in your OP.

The ID law in question was overturned by the Court because, in the judgment of the Court, the law was written to focus on low income and poor rural voters "with laser-like precision", and was of the most blatant pieces of voter suppression legislation in the history of the State, which is really saying something in North Carolina.

And yet you choose to frame this victory for the right of every legal American to citizen to vote in elections and to have his or her vote counted, as a loss to the voters of North Carolina. Why is that, asshole? Why don't you want American citizens to vote? Why do Republicans make Americans jump through every hoop imagineable to prevent them from voting, and then complain about low voter turnout in poor areas.
Unlike you, he wants only those who are legally entitled to vote to do so. Voter ID is not "every hoop imagineable[sic]."

The whole point of the NC voter ID law wasn't to verify identification, it was to supress the votes of poor Americans.
Dumb ass I have been poor I could still come up with the 5$ for a damn State ID...stop lying.
Can you understand ‘Poll The ax’?

Why do Conservatives applaud voter suppression?

That's because nobody is being suppressed. How can you say a law that applies to all people only suppresses one side?

Unless you want to make the claim that minorities are too stupid to get an ID (which is what you people really mean) then there is no suppression.

When the law requires something that disenfranchises legal citizens of limited means, that's suppression. Yes it applies equally to everyone, but for many older, poor and rural Americans, whose births may not have been registered, and who may not have witnesses still living to provide affidavits, they have no foundational documents upon which to acquire the necessary ID, and no means of travelling to where they can get it.

There's also the disenfranchisement of those who are convicted of crimes. If they have been punished, they have paid the price for their crime, and their voting rights as citizens should be restored, if they are free. I can clearly see why the rate of incarceration of blacks went way up when Republicans took control of government in the 1980's. There are now more black men working as slaves in for-profit prisons than there were in the South when Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. There's more than one way to disenfranchise blacks.

Not being able to vote for the rest of your life is part of the punishment for committing a crime. If voting is that important to you, then don't break the laws.

My mother is 85 years old, never drove in her life, and votes every election. She has a photo state ID card and she's used it all of her life with no problem. You have to have some sort of verifiable identification to survive in a country like this. So I don't buy that people have no ability to obtain necessary information needed to get a Voter ID card. If you told any one of these so-called poor people that there was a thousand dollar check waiting for them on the other side of the state, and all they needed was a legal ID, not only would they have the ID in an hour, but they'd have that check in less than a day.

Historically, places with voter ID have had larger turnouts at the polls than those without it. Kind of destroys the "suppression" narrative. I also remember that on North Carolina, the attorney was asked to show the hardship in getting an ID. He couldn't find one place where a FREE photo ID could not be acquired easily.

Historically, places with voter ID have had larger turnouts at the polls than those without it. Kind of destroys the "suppression" narrative. I also remember that on North Carolina, the attorney was asked to show the hardship in getting an ID. He couldn't find one place where a FREE photo ID could not be acquired easily.

We all know what this is. More leftist judicial activism. That's why it is so important that the worthless Republican Senate get their asses in gear and confirm as many judges as possible.

Last edited:

I will assume that you wrote poll tax not poll the ax. Of course I could be wrong and you could be talking some other nonsense.

Hard to actually call something that is either free or less then the cost of a pack of cigarettes as an excessive poll tax.

The real reason liberals are so upset with voter ID is that no one can vote more then once, use the name of a dead person to vote more, or someone running from area to area to vote. It means one person one vote. Now if we could only keep all those "found at the last moment" democratic votes.
Voter fraud is not rampant. Voter suppression unfortunately is.
Unfortunately no one has figured out how to suppress stupid from voting.

If we get more voter ID laws we just might be surprised at the amount of fraud. Unfortunately gerrymandering is a problem with both parties. Even when there is no intent to do so the other side will still call it in the hopes that calling it gerrymandering will somehow work in their favor.

So if voter fraud is not a problem why are you so dead set against an ID? If it were cost I would be more on your side. But when cost is zero or minimal the only reason to oppose an ID is that you think there is something to hide.

You are required to have a passport, drivers license, birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, social security number and others. If you think they are all so bad for everyone then campaign for the repeal of all those I have listed and the others.
Voting should be as easy as drawing a breath.

Suppression is the tactic of the minority party because they know that without hinderence, voters will rarely if ever vote for the minority.

Insisting on ID means you have something to suppress

Insisting on no ID"s means you want voting to be a joke because anybody can do it.
No. It means the freedom to vote must not be infringed.

The whole point of the NC voter ID law wasn't to verify identification, it was to supress the votes of poor Americans.
Dumb ass I have been poor I could still come up with the 5$ for a damn State ID...stop lying.

That's because nobody is being suppressed. How can you say a law that applies to all people only suppresses one side?

Unless you want to make the claim that minorities are too stupid to get an ID (which is what you people really mean) then there is no suppression.
Voter suppression is a much more prevalent offense than voter fraud

I will assume that you wrote poll tax not poll the ax. Of course I could be wrong and you could be talking some other nonsense.

Hard to actually call something that is either free or less then the cost of a pack of cigarettes as an excessive poll tax.

The real reason liberals are so upset with voter ID is that no one can vote more then once, use the name of a dead person to vote more, or someone running from area to area to vote. It means one person one vote. Now if we could only keep all those "found at the last moment" democratic votes.
Voter fraud is not rampant. Voter suppression unfortunately is.
Unfortunately no one has figured out how to suppress stupid from voting.

If we get more voter ID laws we just might be surprised at the amount of fraud. Unfortunately gerrymandering is a problem with both parties. Even when there is no intent to do so the other side will still call it in the hopes that calling it gerrymandering will somehow work in their favor.

So if voter fraud is not a problem why are you so dead set against an ID? If it were cost I would be more on your side. But when cost is zero or minimal the only reason to oppose an ID is that you think there is something to hide.

You are required to have a passport, drivers license, birth certificate, marriage certificate, death certificate, social security number and others. If you think they are all so bad for everyone then campaign for the repeal of all those I have listed and the others.
Voting should be as easy as drawing a breath.

Suppression is the tactic of the minority party because they know that without hinderence, voters will rarely if ever vote for the minority.

Insisting on ID means you have something to suppress

Insisting on no ID"s means you want voting to be a joke because anybody can do it.
No. It means the freedom to vote must not be infringed.

We need reasonable background checks

When the law requires something that disenfranchises legal citizens of limited means, that's suppression. Yes it applies equally to everyone, but for many older, poor and rural Americans, whose births may not have been registered, and who may not have witnesses still living to provide affidavits, they have no foundational documents upon which to acquire the necessary ID, and no means of travelling to where they can get it.

There's also the disenfranchisement of those who are convicted of crimes. If they have been punished, they have paid the price for their crime, and their voting rights as citizens should be restored, if they are free. I can clearly see why the rate of incarceration of blacks went way up when Republicans took control of government in the 1980's. There are now more black men working as slaves in for-profit prisons than there were in the South when Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation. There's more than one way to disenfranchise blacks.
So you are basically saying that these poor people do not have a drivers license, a social security number, they do not recieve any type of welfare or social security. Where in the world do these people live? On the moon?

In many states it has been law that those with certain crimes could not vote. This was laws from many years it was not just since the 1980s. While partisan politics is always fun to play it seldom is very truthful. Who do you think signed all the legislation on illegal drugs? Tell me not one democrat ever said that we should not incarcerate someone for murder, rape,theft. Who do you think appointed some of the judges that put people in prison?

If you don't have a birth certificate, and you lost your SS card years ago, how do you get it replaced? I actually had this problem with my SIN. I was told my birth was never registered. When I lost my wallet with my SIN card after a few years back, I couldn't replace it without my birth certificate. I needed a lawyer to help me replace me ID. Since I worked for one, it cost me nothing, but I couldn't have done it without her.

When it subsequently happened a few years later, it was easy to replace everything, because my birth certificate, was at home in the filing cabinet, and I had recently gone for a new photo ID for my driver's license so I had photo ID on the way.

White middle class people with internet access, drivers' licenses, and who work in the modern world have no idea of how difficult it can be for those without papers to acquire them.
In the first place not everyone is addlebrained enough to lose important documents. If you absolutely can not keep track of important documents the government will replace them at no charge. You may have to go into a government office, sign a document and get a new one. If you do not have transportation and can not walk into town to get an ID then chances are you are not going to be going to a polling place to vote either.

My problem is we seem to have a problem with those that do not want voter ID and stricter control over voting also want to allow illegals to vote. They seem to want votes to be found sitting around in areas they should never have been. They only seem to care about law if it is a benefit to them.

We actually had one poster talking about voting and firearms as if one of the most strictly controlled and requlated items can equate with voting which is the least strictly controlled item we have.

So you are basically saying that these poor people do not have a drivers license, a social security number, they do not recieve any type of welfare or social security. Where in the world do these people live? On the moon?

In many states it has been law that those with certain crimes could not vote. This was laws from many years it was not just since the 1980s. While partisan politics is always fun to play it seldom is very truthful. Who do you think signed all the legislation on illegal drugs? Tell me not one democrat ever said that we should not incarcerate someone for murder, rape,theft. Who do you think appointed some of the judges that put people in prison?

This may come as a total shock to you but I managed to live my entire life until I was 55 years old without a birth certificate or a SIN card. During this time I was able to get a driver's license, an OHIP card, and travelled frequently to the USA. I couldn't get a passport, but I was otherwise free to get on a plane and travel across Canada and the US, as well as to England and other places in the British Commonwealth where passports aren't required. Just by providing my SIN number, I was able to collect government benefits like maternity leave payments, unemployment insurance, and child family benefits.

All that changed on 9/11. After that time the world became security conscious and I could no longer board a plane, or travel to the US, without proving identity and citizenship.

When Reagan took office in 1980, there were 30,000 black men federal prisons. Today there more than 300,000, black men in federal prison due to Reagan's "zero tolerance" for drugs laws, and minimum sentencing laws, which took discretion away from judges in sentencing for most crimes.

This may come as a total shock to you but I managed to live my entire life until I was 55 years old without a birth certificate or a SIN card. During this time I was able to get a driver's license, an OHIP card, and travelled frequently to the USA. I couldn't get a passport, but I was otherwise free to get on a plane and travel across Canada and the US, as well as to England and other places in the British Commonwealth where passports aren't required. Just by providing my SIN number, I was able to collect government benefits like maternity leave payments, unemployment insurance, and child family benefits.

All that changed on 9/11. After that time the world became security conscious and I could no longer board a plane, or travel to the US, without proving identity and citizenship.

When Reagan took office in 1980, there were 30,000 black men federal prisons. Today there more than 300,000, black men in federal prison due to Reagan's "zero tolerance" for drugs laws, and minimum sentencing laws, which took discretion away from judges in sentencing for most crimes.
What ever the Canadian government wants to do has nothing to do with what is required by the United States of America government.
In this country we actually require people to show a Social Security card when they fill out withholding information when hired. We require people to have drivers licenses and insurance to drive, failure to have both is punishable under law.

If the Canadian government wants to allow their citizens to hold jobs without paying taxes, want them driving cars or even running down the middle of the road without licenses that is their decision and their right. I do not feel it is my place to criticize their laws.

Why do you feel it is necessary for you to criticize ours? Does it some how make you feel holy then thou?

No one forced anyone to sell drugs. No one forced anyone to carry guns while selling drugs. Reagan did not force gangs to shoot members of rival gangs. While it would be fantastic if everyone was an angel and we had no need of prisons, that is not the case. Blacks are not the only ones who have enlarged the prison populations. Why to be racist.

That's complete bullshit. Alabama has strict voter ID laws and it didn't affect turn out during midterms, in fact there was a record breaking numbers at the polls.
Record-breaking turnout for midterms in Alabama - The Selma Times‑Journal

There has never been any proof whatsoever that non-citizens were voting in US. elections. None. This whole idea of voter fraud has been manufactured by the right wing. NC needs to show evidence that voter fraud is widespread in the state, but it isn't. The "voter fraud" is the idea itself.

Most people in our prisons for drug charges are not there for using them, they are there for other charges possibly related to drugs, selling drugs, or both.

So what laws are you referring to that lasted over 35 years since Reagan? Our judges have plenty of room for considerations in drug cases.

Forum List

Back