jury awards black 8.25 million

Well from the prospective of that lawsuit , how can anyone disagree. Still the lawsuit was for them being arrested and handcuffed.

Arresting was wrong but I am just saying that they could have just giver her a ticket and been on their merry way. Like I said if you do not produce the ID, then how can the police know that you have an ID. They most likely will give you a ticket. So the woman should have just gotten a ticket for not providing the DL and the arrest was clearly wrong
They werent arrested.
Bottom line you can refuse to show your ID and they will give you a ticket. If you provide the ID later then they will void the ticket.

But if you enjoy making a trip to show that ID at a later date to avoid paying the ticket then that is your right. No lawsuit.
The woman wasnt driving she was sitting at Starbucks. There's no license requirement to sit at Starbucks.

a ticket for what??

they werent pulled over for a driving infraction,, they werent even pulled over according to the article,,

and even if it only applies to the driver,,

either our rights matter or they dont,,
Okay I see your point. If the lady had show the ID then she might not have gotten the big money of that lawsuit. Lawyer will probably get half of it but hey who is going to turn it down. That is my point.

Should she have been arrested for it , NO, but she made out on this deal.

Why should I have to show ID to a cop while sitting at a Starbucks? Is ID required to sit at a Starbucks? Not sure being detained for a short period of time is worth 2.75 million but they shouldn't have been under any obligation to show their ID to a police officer, and unless the officers had reasonable suspicion that they had committed a crime, which based on the outcome of this case the jury apparently didnt think they did, there's no reason the cops should have detained them. Again, I don't agree with the amount of money these women were given but the cops were wrong in this case. They violated a number of Constitutionally protected rights, 1 and 4 specifically. California doesnt have a stop and ID law.

And any place that have those laws are just a lawsuit away from getting them tossed.

Okay I see your point. If the lady had show the ID then she might not have gotten the big money of that lawsuit. Lawyer will probably get half of it but hey who is going to turn it down. That is my point.

I never made that point,,

what is it with you leftist distorting and ignoring what people say and going off in some random direction??

my real point is the cops should have abided their oaths to the constitution and walked away,, instead they had to be big tough guys that cost their community millions,,

my real point is the cops should have abided their oaths to the constitution and walked away,, instead they had to be big tough guys that cost their community millions,,
I have not disagreed with that point.

I just offered another fact. They were stopped in the parking lot of Starbucks. This probably means that the cops followed them and approached then when they parked. IF the lady had shown her ID , would the cops have arrested her?

Being outraged is nice but sometimes you just have to let it go.

I just offered another fact. They were stopped in the parking lot of Starbucks. This probably means that the cops followed them and approached then when they parked. IF the lady had shown her ID , would the cops have arrested her?

And the next time the cops likely will.

yes you should let it go,,

point and facts are they didnt need to show them, and because the cops had to show what tough guys they are and how little they respect our rights it cost their community millions,,

you stand on the side of authoritarian thugs and I stand on the constitution and the rights they protect,,

Why should I have to show ID to a cop while sitting at a Starbucks? Is ID required to sit at a Starbucks? Not sure being detained for a short period of time is worth 2.75 million but they shouldn't have been under any obligation to show their ID to a police officer, and unless the officers had reasonable suspicion that they had committed a crime, which based on the outcome of this case the jury apparently didnt think they did, there's no reason the cops should have detained them. Again, I don't agree with the amount of money these women were given but the cops were wrong in this case. They violated a number of Constitutionally protected rights, 1 and 4 specifically. California doesnt have a stop and ID law.
Common sense dictates some things, if a cop asks to see your ID show it to them.
We already know the jury is nuts, how do any of us know what information the police had to make them detain these women?

Your right but they can give you a ticket. Then you would have to make a trip to the police station to avoid paying the fine by showing it someone in the police department.

The law is usually written that you have to have a license to drive a vehicle. It doesn't say you have to carry it while driving. So it is simpler to show it but to be put in handcuffs shows some stupidity and how some cops get to caught up with " I am a policeman"

I've been stopped and just told them my name, address, and driver's license number. They didn't complain, and sent me on my merry way.

Common sense dictates some things, if a cop asks to see your ID show it to them.
We already know the jury is nuts, how do any of us know what information the police had to make them detain these women?

"Show me your papers".

lol go fuck yourelf. You ex-cons think all cops are bad. Grow up, gimp.
figures you leftist scum will run from a discussion of constitutionally protected rights,,,

one thing you are also avoiding is all the cops had to do was run the plate and then pull up the DL of the owner to id them,,

but nooo they had to be hard ass nazi fucks like you and push a fake authority,,

I'm not a 'leftist', tard; you're just another silly drunk who keeps getting busted for something or other and hates cops is all.
if I did or didnt have DUIs what does that have to do with people refusing to surrender their rights to authority when they dont have to,,

typical leftist tactic when they cant refute or defend their claim is to make it personal,,

alinsky 101,,

jbrownson0831

What's sad? The cops violated the law, you are aware of that right? In California you have no legal requirement to produce identification at a cop's request and they are not allowed to detain someone to get identification. They certainly do not have a right to search their car or cell phones without a warrant or consent. The question is why on earth would you ever want to grant a government official that type of power?

Forum List

Back