jury awards black 8.25 million

Maybe not, but why would you not comply with an officer's request to show your ID? The more you argue and do the opposite of what is being asked, the more at risk you place yourself. By doing what is asked, any violation of your rights becomes more apparent in whatever bone you choose to pick with the department.
because the constitution says you dont have too,,,

why is it you leftist only care about the constitution is when it fits your political narrative??

I've been stopped and just told them my name, address, and driver's license number. They didn't complain, and sent me on my merry way.

I am a speed demon especially on the interstates. Usually when caught, I will fumble for my driver ID card, and pull out my military ID first. If they comment on it then its all good. Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't.

I am a speed demon especially on the interstates. Usually when caught, I will fumble for my driver ID card, and pull out my military ID first. If they comment on it then its all good. Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't.
you are legally required too,, in this case they werent legally required too,,

yes you should let it go,,

point and facts are they didnt need to show them, and because the cops had to show what tough guys they are and how little they respect our rights it cost their community millions,,

you stand on the side of authoritarian thugs and I stand on the constitution and the rights they protect,,
No its actually middle ground. If you have the ID card then just show it. If you don't then tell them that you left it at home. Ultimately the cops do not know if you have a drivers licenses. That is why they either can cut you loose with a warning or can just give you a ticket for not having a drivers license. Yet if you go to the location to pay the fine, if you show your drivers license then they should dismiss the fine as you do have a drivers licenses. It is that simple.

If they violate your rights then they are the ones in trouble.

• Upon request, show police your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance.
This is what the ACLU recommends

Whether you do it or not is not my concern. But feel free to let the board know how that works out.

No its actually middle ground. If you have the ID card then just show it. If you don't then tell them that you left it at home. Ultimately the cops do not know if you have a drivers licenses. That is why they either can cut you loose with a warning or can just give you a ticket for not having a drivers license. Yet if you go to the location to pay the fine, if you show your drivers license then they should dismiss the fine as you do have a drivers licenses. It is that simple.

• Upon request, show police your driver’s license, registration, and proof of insurance.

Whether you do it or not is not my concern. But feel free to let the board know how that works out.
my point is you were pulled over for committing a crime and required to ID,,
in the case at hand with the 3 people they were not required to ID since there was no crime on their part,,

and your scenario above doesnt apply to all states,, each has their own criteria for what the cops can or must do,,

So for perhaps 15 or 30 minutes of embarrassment, they now can buy a mansion in Malibu, a winter place in Lake Tahoe, buy new upscale cars for every member of the family, and none of the three will ever have to work a job for the rest of their lives?

Ridiculous amount of money.

So for perhaps 15 or 30 minutes of embarrassment, they now can buy a mansion in Malibu, a winter place in Lake Tahoe, buy new upscale cars for every member of the family, and none of the three will ever have to work a job for the rest of their lives?

Ridiculous amount of money.
maybe next time the cops can respect their oath and abide the constitution,,

This whole thing could have been avoided if they just shown their ids. Cops miss identify all the time. Just show your id and they will apologize and leave. Why would you not want to show your id ad prove your innocence. Bu blacks just don't get it. They paid her off for inconvenience more then anything. Cops still have their jobs. Just comply with the cops.
How is 8.25 million black?

Still a ridiculous amount of money for minimal disruption. $10k would have been more than worth it,
violation of rights should be of the highest,, I don t see a problem with criminal charges on the cops,, at the least they should be fired and never allowed in law enforcement again,,

I may even be more for criminal charges for the cops and no money

in the case at hand with the 3 people they were not required to ID since there was no crime on their part,,

and your scenario above doesnt apply to all states,, each has their own criteria for what the cops can or must do,,
Okay , I do not know

Okay never mind I just read the complete story. They were unlawfully detained as suspects in a car theft ring. I paid to much attention to the posts and not the story itself.

This whole thing could have been avoided if they just shown their ids. Cops miss identify all the time. Just show your id and they will apologize and leave. Why would you not want to show your id ad prove your innocence. Bu blacks just don't get it. They paid her off for inconvenience more then anything. Cops still have their jobs. Just comply with the cops.
If not doing so is worth 25 Mil... Why would anyone show ID?

Why should I have to show ID to a cop while sitting at a Starbucks? Is ID required to sit at a Starbucks? Not sure being detained for a short period of time is worth 2.75 million but they shouldn't have been under any obligation to show their ID to a police officer, and unless the officers had reasonable suspicion that they had committed a crime, which based on the outcome of this case the jury apparently didnt think they did, there's no reason the cops should have detained them. Again, I don't agree with the amount of money these women were given but the cops were wrong in this case. They violated a number of Constitutionally protected rights, 1 and 4 specifically. California doesnt have a stop and ID law.
if you look like suspect there looking or or some calls on you for possible doing a crime you do.

her rights were not violated.

Forum List

Back