Just over half of U.S. corporations are considering layoffs, beginning with remote workers.

You are not wrong.....My wife was one of those till she retired.....At least she did not leave the house but there was a lot of "clicking" to stay logged-in while she made lunch or cleaned the house.

LOL....I just asked her about it and she said she that at the time she could pull-up who was still logged in and most of her "Homer" co-workers would be MIA for a couple hours at a time.....Not a word was said about it.

Even Rand Paul stood on the floor of the Senate and lamented how DC looked like a ghost town long after .gov employees should have been back. They are still gone in my wife's old department.
Yup, exactly. It’s ridiculous what these government employees get away with.

And did you know they can go on vacation, tell their boss they will “work“ from the vacation spot, and don’t take annual leave? I know people who have gone away to ski spots, beach vacations, you name it. They log on in the morning, run out for a dip in the ocean or a couple hours on the slopes, then log back in for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

They don’t claim annual leave because they will be paid for it when they leave government - usually at retirement.

Don't people who work from home prevent the spread of covid and decrease the pollution in the air which the world is spending trillions to apparently clean up?
They also slack off and the company loses a lot of productivity. Makes sense they are the first to go.

And did you know they can go on vacation, tell their boss they will “work“ from the vacation spot, and don’t take annual leave? I know people who have gone away to ski spots, beach vacations, you name it. They log on in the morning, run out for a dip in the ocean or a couple hours on the slopes, then log back in for a couple of hours in the afternoon.

They don’t claim annual leave because they will be paid for it when they leave government - usually at retirement.
My wife works for the center for Medicare and Medicare and she works remote and had to have a medical examination to allow her to work from home and has to use a specific computer that has an identification key/ID to log in and it has a GPS signal to identify the location of the CPU.

Yep, that is correct.

That said the smart ones used-up most of their leave before they retire so they didn't take the lump-sum tax hit.

If the job's getting done, what does it matter where or when it's being done?
And therein lies a big conflict that the business world is facing. We still have enough old-timers hanging around who count productivity by the number of butts in seats at certain times of the day instead of how much actual work gets done.

Anecdote, when I worked in IT at Circuit City before the turn of the century, it was freakin' awesome. They had no leave policy at all, you just coordinated with your immediate supervisor for time off and it wasn't tracked. One night I stayed until about 8 pm working on an issue and came in the next morning at 10. My boss was not happy and literally told me that if he had his way, everyone would be in their seats at 8:30 and wouldn't leave until 5:00, but CC wouldn't let him. Thankfully, that mindset is rapidly disappearing as more and more pressure is brought to bear to allow people to work remotely. It is forcing business to re-evaluate the value that an employee brings. Like you said, if deadlines are met and work is done correctly and on time, who cares if it's done at 2 am or 2 pm?

My wife works for the center for Medicare and Medicare and she works remote and had to have a medical examination to allow her to work from home and has to use a specific computer that has an identification key/ID to log in and it has a GPS signal to identify the location of the CPU.
So that’s your wife. Tons of government workers, for whom we pay salaries, cheat bigtime. They are paid more than their private counterparts, except at the very top, and they have cradle-to-grace security and protection from Democrats’ inflation. The least they could do is get their butts into the office and put in a full day.

It’s one of the biggest scams going. You should see how crowded my community pool is weekdays at 1 pm, and they stay for HOURS.

Yep, that is correct.

That said the smart ones used-up most of their leave before they retire so they didn't take the lump-sum tax hit.
I know someone who is leaving next week to visit her mother in Scottsdale, AZ, for three weeks! She said she will work from there, in between her rounds of golf and lounging around the pool.

I know someone who is leaving next week to visit her mother in Scottsdale, AZ, for three weeks! She said she will work from there, in between her rounds of golf and lounging around the pool.
Again, if the job is getting done to the satisfaction of the employer, what difference does it make where or when it's getting done?

Again, if the job is getting done to the satisfaction of the employer, what difference does it make where or when it's getting done?
Because the productivity standards have been LOWERED to make a four-hour workday acceptable, when we taxpayers are paying for eight hours of productivity.

What’s wrong with expecting eight hours of work for eight hours of pay? You libs really want to slow down production until we are equal with lesser countries? That’s EQUITY for ya!
The US has the most efficient means of production in zee vourld, and it is the most automated.

Because the productivity standards have been LOWERED to make a four-hour workday acceptable, when we taxpayers are paying for eight hours of productivity.
That's the employers' fault and has nothing to do with where the employee works. I'm an IT contractor, and I literally don't have to tell my employer anything that I'm doing or where I am as long as the clients are billed properly and kept happy. Before Covid, I had a few clients that I would visit once or twice a week for face time, but not now. Now I'm completely remote and I love it.

If the work can be done remotely, there's no reason for massive office buildings and lengthy commutes anymore and cities will have to find a use for all that unused space. Hmmm, maybe some otherwise homeless people living in what used to be the CEO's office would be poetic justice.

Forum List

Back