Just wasted my money on a humidifier

Just a tiny bit of thought would have clued you into the problem.

In winter, air is dryer because the water vapor condenses out. Are there cold days with higher or equal humidity than summer days? Sure, but on those days, when the humidity is actually higher, you feel colder because of the heat conduction of water. It will draw heat from your body quicker.

Some say that because the water is trying to condense out of the air at colder temperatures, that it makes your clothes and skin damper. Then the heat of your skin and body starts the evaporation process. It is actually evaporation that cools a person.

So before you ask why don't you sweat as much in summer with high humidity, it amounts to the same process, only in reverse. The air is so saturated that the moister on your skin won't evaporate and you overheat faster than in a dry climate.

Remember, the process of evaporation is the moister going from a liquid to a gas, and when it does, it takes a certain amount of heat with it.

So, if you want to feel warmer in winter, lower the humidity. Just not too much or the mucous membranes in your nose and throat will begin to dry out and then the risk of an infection (like a head cold) sets in.

Turn your humidifier on low to keep the air just moist enough to breathe easily, but dress warmly to keep the heated layer of air next to your skin in place.

In winter, air is dryer because the water vapor condenses out. Are there cold days with higher or equal humidity than summer days? Sure, but on those days, when the humidity is actually higher, you feel colder because of the heat conduction of water. It will draw heat from your body quicker.

Some say that because the water is trying to condense out of the air at colder temperatures, that it makes your clothes and skin damper. Then the heat of your skin and body starts the evaporation process. It is actually evaporation that cools a person.

So before you ask why don't you sweat as much in summer with high humidity, it amounts to the same process, only in reverse. The air is so saturated that the moister on your skin won't evaporate and you overheat faster than in a dry climate.

Remember, the process of evaporation is the moister going from a liquid to a gas, and when it does, it takes a certain amount of heat with it.

So, if you want to feel warmer in winter, lower the humidity. Just not too much or the mucous membranes in your nose and throat will begin to dry out and then the risk of an infection (like a head cold) sets in.

Turn your humidifier on low to keep the air just moist enough to breathe easily, but dress warmly to keep the heated layer of air next to your skin in place.
Holy shit! That's it!!! You may have just fixed my problem. About a month ago I bought a dehumidifier. I've been running this thing non stop, and for the past two weeks I've been afflicted with a wicked sore throat, and loss of voice. Otherwise I don't feel sick at all. But when I wake up in the morning my vocal chords are caked with the hardest phlegm build up I've ever had in my life. And I smell blood when I blow my nose in the morning. It must be the dehumidifier. I can't believe I hadn't considered that...

Holy shit! That's it!!! You may have just fixed my problem. About a month ago I bought a dehumidifier. I've been running this thing non stop, and for the past two weeks I've been afflicted with a wicked sore throat, and loss of voice. Otherwise I don't feel sick at all. But when I wake up in the morning my vocal chords are caked with the hardest phlegm build up I've ever had in my life. And I smell blood when I blow my nose in the morning. It must be the dehumidifier. I can't believe I hadn't considered that...
But what about the sweet potato pie?

What sweet potato pie?

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. I have a pellet stove. They work by heating a plate inside and then a blower runs air across it into the room. The air is very dry. I turn a humidifier on otherwise we both get bloody noses.

What sweet potato pie?
The one fbj always wants to eat off someones butt.

What sweet potato pie?
The one fbj always wants to eat off someones butt.
The dudes got issues...

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. I have a pellet stove. They work by heating a plate inside and then a blower runs air across it into the room. The air is very dry. I turn a humidifier on otherwise we both get bloody noses.
It has setting for adjusting the percentage; but I've been running it in the nonstop mode. What percentage of humidity do you think would be ideal?

I love my humidifier. Don’t you know how to use that thing?

You can’t be this stupid.

You aren’t a liberal are you?

That would explain it.

I thought it kept the room cool over night and noticed i was sweating all night long. So that shit is going back to the store since i have no use for it.

It has setting for adjusting the percentage; but I've been running it in the nonstop mode. What percentage of humidity do you think would be ideal?
How is it graded? Its a bit complicated. They claim that 100% relative humidity is about a 3% saturation of moister to air ratio. So, 100% is stifling and 50% would be a bit on the dry side I think. I'd shoot for about a 60% relative humidity level. That should be comfortable for breathing, but not so bad you start growing mold on the walls. lol

In fact, you should start at 45 and increase it until you feel comfortable and the dry sinuses go way.

Forum List

Back