Justice Scalia Named His Replacement

Or Jeffrey Sutton of the 6th circuit... He was Scalia's understudy and believes in states being more powerful than the fed.

He talks about Obama's failure to enforce our immigration laws around the 24 minute mark....great interview.

SCALIA: I've known Frank a long time. We were colleagues on the faculty at the University of Chicago in the 80s. He went on to be a judge on the 7th Circuit. Chief Judge of the 7th Circuit, ultimately. He wrote the forward (to my book), because if there is one other name, one other judicial name, associated with the two principle theories of this book, Textualism and Originalism, it is Frank Easterbrook. You know if I had to pick somebody to replace me on the Supreme Court, it would be Frank. He and I tend to see things the same, because we're both applying the same principles of Textualism and Originalism.

Ummm....nobody here is under the impression that SCOTUS Justices get to name their replacements......are they?

SCALIA: I've known Frank a long time. We were colleagues on the faculty at the University of Chicago in the 80s. He went on to be a judge on the 7th Circuit. Chief Judge of the 7th Circuit, ultimately. He wrote the forward (to my book), because if there is one other name, one other judicial name, associated with the two principle theories of this book, Textualism and Originalism, it is Frank Easterbrook. You know if I had to pick somebody to replace me on the Supreme Court, it would be Frank. He and I tend to see things the same, because we're both applying the same principles of Textualism and Originalism.

But he doesnt get to choose. Also, Presidents dont have to replace a Judge that mirrors the judge that was there before. This Kabooki act where someone has to be another Scalia is just clever brinksmanship

He talks about Obama's failure to enforce our immigration laws around the 24 minute mark....great interview.

Tony was down Texas way to eat a big steak, drink some single malt, and have Mexican girls rub the corns on his feet so he could make an unbiased ruling on immigration.

Ummm....nobody here is under the impression that SCOTUS Justices get to name their replacements......are they?
No. No one is under that impression.
Good, just checking.

Wouldn't put it past some
Ya. Like Chrissy Matthews and L. O'Donnell both claiming Obama had the legal right to "APPOINT"!!!!!!!! the next SCJ.
He does have that mandate. Read the Constitution sometime. No one else can appoint Supreme Court justices. Only the President can.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Forum List

Back