Ken Berry RIP

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
Think I'll have to binge watch the very un-PC "F Troop" some time in the not-too-distant future....

Ken Berry, TV Actor in ‘Mama’s Family,’ ‘F Troop,’ ‘Mayberry R.F.D,’ Dies at 85

5TLH2BWGSRELBB2WRTPOIA35HM.jpg

Never met Ken Berry but I met Forrest Tucker, back in the late 60's. My step-dad was the stage manager for the Drury Lane Theater near Chicago and got me a job working props. Forrest Tucker was in some play, I don't remember the name. He was pretty much drunk all the time.

Met Ozzie and Harriet Nelson too. They were as nice in person as the roles they played. Bob Crane was a shithead though. Not hard to figure out why he got murdered.

God speed & bravo Ken, there is no higher order in the mortal coil as making folks forget their troubles, and have a good laugh!
kenberry.jpg

~S~

Never met Ken Berry but I met Forrest Tucker, back in the late 60's. My step-dad was the stage manager for the Drury Lane Theater near Chicago and got me a job working props. Forrest Tucker was in some play, I don't remember the name. He was pretty much drunk all the time.

Met Ozzie and Harriet Nelson too. They were as nice in person as the roles they played. Bob Crane was a shithead though. Not hard to figure out why he got murdered.
Its funny how you meet these people. I know John Wismiller, Tarzan in Ft Lauderdale he and his friend use to go out to the channel marker 1 mile off Port Everglades and he would swim to Dania Bch just about every morning. His friend was for shark look out. Johnny Carson had a Boat called "Here's Johnny" docked in the area and when he was single they could be seen taking it out every once in a while. Never spoke to him. So many Stories from down there.

I always got a kick out of his klutzy, somewhat child-like Vinton Harper character. I've heard that he and Dorothy Lyman were married in real life at some point. Which is good, they made a highly amusing couple who were never boring. They sure brought out the best in Vicki Lawrence in scenes in which she blew up raving furious at their characters. Very lively chemistry.

Melody Patterson was HOT HOT HOT.

View attachment 232325

Hmmm, you think that NY Italian and that Brooklyn born Russian Jew are a cute little blonde?

Don't play dense. Melody was the REAL unsung star of that show when Larry Storch wasn't camping it up, and kept the petals on Wilton's flower for two seasons with her girly charms. That gal really knew how to ride a bucking horse!

View attachment 232339 View attachment 232340 View attachment 232341 View attachment 232342 View attachment 232343
I had a crush on her even as a young boy

Ken Berry - IMDb
Like every B actor of his era he was on Love Boat and Fantasy Island and probably Love American Style too (he was by the way) plenty. By the way, he never got over the humiliation of having to audition for Harvey Weinstein
in a Fakawi loin cloth.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back