Kennedys honor George H.W. Bush's ‘read my lips’ flip-flop with Profile of Courage.

Sallow

The Big Bad Wolf.
Oct 4, 2010
This is something I can't agree with more.

George H.W. Bush’s epic “read my lips: no new taxes” promise cost him a second White House term, but it’s earning him a 2014 Profile in Courage award from the Kennedy clan.

Despite his fervent pledge against a hike when he ran for President in 1988, Bush did ultimately agree to raise taxes.

Though Bill Clinton capitalized on Bush’s flip-flop and defeated him in 1992, the Kennedy Foundation is now praising Bush for risking “his reputation and ultimately his political career by forging an important compromise on the budget in 1990.”

“Bush agreed to a tax increase as part of the compromise, and he was pilloried by conservatives for doing so ... he did what he thought was best for the country,” the Kennedys said in an announcement Thursday.
Kennedys honor George H.W. Bush's ?read my lips? flip-flop with Profile of Courage award - NY Daily News

There are many moments like this:
-Gerald Ford pardoning Nixon.
-Jimmy Carter appointing Paul Volcker as fed chief who in turn created a deliberate recession to reign in inflation.

Doing what's good for the country, sometimes has a big cost politically.

Forum List

Back