Kid Looks Like A Genius With 8 + 5 Doesn’t Add Up To 10

Kid Looks Like a Genius with Matter-of-Fact Retort Why Common Core Math Problem 8 5 Doesn 8217 t Add Up

Screen-Shot-2014-09-29-at-12.20.59-PM.jpg

So who’s right? The educators who insist on making the fundamentals of mathematics as complex as a Rubik’s cube, or the kid who probably has secret access to his mom’s old flashcards and sees this as a foolish waste of time?

Then add 3?!?!?

Reminds me of jokes my Stepfather used to tell involving arithmetic and money where you wind up deliberately short-changing people. :)

2 from 5 is 3 btw, not 2. Plus 8 is 11 plus 3 is 14, not 10.
She didn't say take 2 from 5 and use the result .. she took two from five and used it to make 10. IOW she was teaching the student to use portions and "it" referred to the number 2 not the result of the expression 2-5.

Easier example of why this approach might make sense for some arithmetic problems.

Add 999 to 999... ok start by taking 1 away from 999 and at it to 999 which gets you 1000 then add 998 to 1000 which gives you 1998.

Kid Looks Like a Genius with Matter-of-Fact Retort Why Common Core Math Problem 8 5 Doesn 8217 t Add Up

So who’s right? The educators who insist on making the fundamentals of mathematics as complex as a Rubik’s cube, or the kid who probably has secret access to his mom’s old flashcards and sees this as a foolish waste of time?

Then add 3?!?!?

Reminds me of jokes my Stepfather used to tell involving arithmetic and money where you wind up deliberately short-changing people. :)

She didn't say take 2 from 5 and use the result .. she took two from five and used it to make 10. IOW she was teaching the student to use portions and "it" referred to the number 2 not the result of the expression 2-5.

Easier example of why this approach might make sense for some arithmetic problems.

Add 999 to 999... ok start by taking 1 away from 999 and at it to 999 which gets you 1000 then add 998 to 1000 which gives you 1998.
Any way you try to cut it, it makes no sense

Take 2 from the 5 and add to 8 does = 11. Then add the 3???? 14
Or
Take 2 from the 5 then add 3 . You get 6 + 8 . 14

Just twisted

"Take 2 from 5 and add it to 8. Then add 3."

There's no other way to interpret that but (5-2)+8+3
You need to go back and study english again. You don't appear to know how to apply and use the word "it." The question was 8+5 not (5-2)+8+3.

The teacher changed 8+5 to ((8+2)+3) Addition is associative

"Take 2 from 5 and add it to 8. Then add 3."

There's no other way to interpret that but (5-2)+8+3
You need to go back and study english again. You don't appear to know how to apply and use the word "it."
Dunno what you're reading or referencing but if you read the "teacher's" writing on the kid's paper, what she said is perfectly clear. And just as perfectly wrong.

Sounds like 1984's famous arithmetic problem, doesn't it? Carl Jung warned us about "sick contracts" like the one heading this thread. He didn't see such things as ideological brain washing the way Orwell did, rather he saw such thinking as a willful, society-wide descent into mental illness, and into madness eventually...like what happened in Germany, Russia, and China. 8+5=10 = 150,000,000 dead. Now there's a mathematical equation any good totalitarian can sink his teeth into.

Then add 3?!?!?

Fucking idiots making our children stupid like they are.

My daughter is doing some sort of brain diagram as the *big project* this term in LANGUAGE ARTS. WTF????

Funny thing is, I tried to communicate with her language arts teacher, who is also the *journalism* (ha I use that term VERY loosely) teacher...she can't communicate aside from grunts and whistles. She couldn't convey an idea if I hooked up jumper cables to her nipples.

Then add 3?!?!?

Or

Just twisted
You are imagining the word "result" it's not there in the teacher's sentence. You are failing elementary math because you don't know what "it" means and also because you are failing to understand the associative property of addition.

Sounds like 1984's famous arithmetic problem, doesn't it? Carl Jung warned us about "sick contracts" like the one heading this thread. He didn't see such things as ideological brain washing the way Orwell did, rather he saw such thinking as a willful, society-wide descent into mental illness, and into madness eventually...like what happened in Germany, Russia, and China. 8+5=10 = 150,000,000 dead. Now there's a mathematical equation any good totalitarian can sink his teeth into.

Now that you mention it, it reminds me of Star Trek:TNG episode where Capt Picard is captured and tortured by Kardassians. Torturer has lights behind him and turns them on. There's 5 or whatever lights but insists there's only 3 or something. Picard answers 5, and is punished. By the end of the episode Picard breaks and says 3. Later in counselling he confesses to Troy he really saw only 3.

Suppose if we insist kids can do this math problem and get 10 enough eventually they'll believe it. And whatever other nonsense we insist is correct later on.

Then add 3?!?!?

Or

Just twisted
You are imagining the word "result" it's not there in the teacher's sentence. You are failing elementary math because you don't know what "it" means and also because you are failing to understand the associative property of addition.
Yo bub, I'm not the one effin' with kids heads

It's a math problem for second graders (I think). Take 2 from 5 in math has an answer. You're defending the lesson to be smug, but it's still incorrect.....then add the 3 is 13 in your superior CC classroom

Then add 3?!?!?

Or

Just twisted
Yo bub, I'm not the one effin' with kids heads

It's a math problem for second graders (I think). Take 2 from 5 in math has an answer. You're defending the lesson to be smug, but it's still incorrect.....then add the 3 is 13 in your superior CC classroom

Can't be smug when you're wrong. :) (looks very smug indeed)

"Add 999 to 999... ok start by taking 1 away from 999 and at it to 999 which gets you 1000 then add 998 to 1000 which gives you 1998."

Faster and easier way,

Round to nearest whole number like instead of 999+999=?

1000x2=2000 minus 2 = 1998

You can't add 8 and 5 and get 10.

Sorry.
The teacher did not add 8 and 5 and get 10. You are still failing to read the question properly.

8+5=13

how do I make 10 as a partial result while determining that 8+5=13

answer:
Because 2+3=5 and because addition is associative we can change the problem from 8+5=? to

(8+2)+3=?
adding 8+2 we get 10... thus 10 is the intermediate result
next we add 3 to 10
10+3=?
Adding 10+3 we get 13.

When someone says a number 2 is gonna multiplied by 5, first we use it to ... "it" refers to 2 not the result of 2x5. You are imagining "it" means the result. But the result was not mentioned. Therefore "it" refers to the target of the sentence which is 2 not the result which is not even implied in the sentence in question.

Teacher didn't say anything about portions or fractions. Using omly what she said she was completely and irrefutably wrong. Insert words like portions might make the problem work, but that's not what the teacher did.

"Add 999 to 999... ok start by taking 1 away from 999 and at it to 999 which gets you 1000 then add 998 to 1000 which gives you 1998."

Faster and easier way,

Round to nearest whole number like instead of 999+999=?

1000x2=2000 minus 2 = 1998
Exactly, that 999+999 is equivalent to 2000-2, is essentially what core math is teaching.

Forum List

Back