Lag BaOmer is time of union

Lipush

Gold Member
Apr 11, 2012
Where the wild things are
To those who celebrate with lightning the torch of soul and family and pride of the people of Israel, may this holiday bring blessing and union and peace to all of the people of Israel.

miron1.jpg

Thank you, Lipush : )) We did our volunteer service on Lag b'Omer (the 33rd day of counting the days between Passover and Shavuot, when we received the Torah at Sinai). It is a commemoration of the days when the Romans had outlawed teaching and learning and discussion of Torah, and so the students would equip themselves with bow and arrows and head for the forests - to 'stalk' their teacher and meet in some secret place to learn Torah.

It is said that even GOD Himself studies Torah, for there is so much in it, unfolding without end.....

Thank you, Lipush : )) We did our volunteer service on Lag b'Omer (the 33rd day of counting the days between Passover and Shavuot, when we received the Torah at Sinai). It is a commemoration of the days when the Romans had outlawed teaching and learning and discussion of Torah, and so the students would equip themselves with bow and arrows and head for the forests - to 'stalk' their teacher and meet in some secret place to learn Torah.

It is said that even GOD Himself studies Torah, for there is so much in it, unfolding without end.....

happy0148.gif

LOL I was beginning to think you had me on ignore. :)

Ok- so, my grandfather was born in Graz, Austria. Our surname is quite uncommon in the States, but as I understand it - fairly common in Israel. We've never been able to trace lineage beyond our paternal grandfather. I do recall as a child hearing that his family may have converted and/or fled in order to avoid persecution during the WWII. Again, that's just a very faint memory.

Two of my cousins (they are brothers) have taken it upon themselves to identify with the Jewish Faith and convert. I'm glad for them and proud of them if that's what is in their hearts. They insist that yes, our family is of Jewish lineage. I am inclined to believe we are Austrian (or European- whatever) and predominantly Catholic.

So... what defines an individual as Jewish? I'd heard that if your mother is of the Jewish Faith then basically you are by default?

Anyhow- been wanting to put this out there for a while.

Thanking you in advance, I remain sincerely yours...

Mr. H. :D

Yes, as long as their mother didn't convert formally to some other faith before they were born, a person is considered 'Jewish' under halacha (Jewish religious law). However, if it was one's maternal grandmother who was identified as Jewish - then it depends on how the mother 'affiliated' whether the next generation are Jewish.

You could always ask a Rabbi : ))

Yes, as long as their mother didn't convert formally to some other faith before they were born, a person is considered 'Jewish' under halacha (Jewish religious law). However, if it was one's maternal grandmother who was identified as Jewish - then it depends on how the mother 'affiliated' whether the next generation are Jewish.

Thanks. Yeah I might just do that. I like the Rabbi at the Synagogue my cousin attends. I went to the service where he was converted and was very impressed with the ceremony.

why are max baer and john levitow considered jewish?

they were both born of catholic parents, raised catholics, raised their children catholics, received the sacraments and masses of christian burial, reserved only for catholics, and baer is buried in a catholic cemetary and levitow has a cross on his headstone at arlington.

if the rabbis were disallowing fallen israeli gentile soldiers to be buried next to the people they fought next to in the jewish section of israeli cemetaries, why don't the rabbis correct the misconception among jews and say these men were not jewish?

Geez now I'm totally confused LOL.
Mr. H. what you should do is send in a sample of your DNA. Many Jews in the German area converted to Lutheranism and Catholicism because it was the fashionable thing to do years amd years ago. Herman Hesse's granddaughter eventually found out that the family was originally Jewish after she moved to Israel and married a Jewish man.. There are many Catholics in the American Southwest who have sent in their DNA samples and several have found out that they have Jewish roots.

DNA Clears the Fog Over Latino Links to Judaism in New Mexico - Los Angeles Times

Forum List

Back