LAPD : We Can Harrass Citizens for asserting their Constitutional Rights"

Anymore If you see a cop doing anything, literally anything, start recording.

That stupid bitch is a great example of why my respect for the cops is going downhill fast.

This is why all police activity should be recorded and those that have no concept of rights or what they are paid to do fired.

That stupid bitch is a great example of why my respect for the cops is going downhill fast.

Unfortunately, her attitude is typical of police officers who are not used to having their "authority" challenged.

The scary part is that they have managed to make that illegal in some states – a law that I think needs to be removed post haste.

So because of this stupid bitch all you liberals think all cops are bad?

I am hardly a Liberal and I absolutely record every interaction I have with the police for any reason.

A cop's word very hard to challenge in Court if you need to. Too many cops, like this one, think their badge gives them the right to trample on anyone's Constitutional rights they want to any time they want to.

Not all cops are bad, but there are enough of them to make recording them a good idea.

The scary part is that they have managed to make that illegal in some states – a law that I think needs to be removed post haste.

A citizen's dash cam is illegal?

While the Courts have consistently held that recording the Police in Public is legal, people have been arrested and had their cameras/phones confiscated by the police only to be released within 24 hours with the "Wiretapping" charges dropped. However, the recordings have usually been deleted if they even got their property back in the first place.

In some cases, the property was "accidently" destroyed or lost.

My bad. It WAS illegal in several states until about 6 months ago. I am very happy to read about the SCOTUS decision here (well the lower court at least) that determined this was an unconstitutional move.

Supreme Court Gives Nod to Citizens Who Record Police, Amidst Reports of Multiple Arrests - ABA Journal

Edit:
A case a year before:
http://www.abajournal.com/news/arti..._her_talk_with_cops_potential_sentence_was_1/

She was charged for taping a cop and they tried to nail her for 15 years. The jusry aqited (who wouldn’t in that case) but realize that she had to use a defense that she had reasonable suspicion that they were trying to commit a crime. IOW, the law stood at that time that video taping a police officer was simply illegal.

Last edited:

While the Courts have consistently held that recording the Police in Public is legal, people have been arrested and had their cameras/phones confiscated by the police only to be released within 24 hours with the "Wiretapping" charges dropped. However, the recordings have usually been deleted if they even got their property back in the first place.

Well, see post 13.

Well, see post 13.

Like I said.. Courts have consistently upheld that recording the police in public in the performance of their duties is legal.......

That doesn't mean every court has.. There have been a few outliers here and there, but most have said that the Police have no super right to privacy when in public, especially since they are public employees.

Some State Legislatures tried doing that, but those laws fell when challenged in the Higher Courts.

Well, see post 13.

Like I said.. Courts have consistently upheld that recording the police in public in the performance of their duties is legal.......

That doesn't mean every court has.. There have been a few outliers here and there, but most have said that the Police have no super right to privacy when in public, especially since they are public employees.

Some State Legislatures tried doing that, but those laws fell when challenged in the Higher Courts.

SCOTUS has authorized the practice so we must continue to expose them.

The problem: audio recording ANYONE without their consent is a crime in some states. (Offhand: Massachusetts.)

Forum List

Back