LDS church and children of LGBT couples: Jesus weeps

Joanna Brooks, a Mormon writer and scholar at San Diego State University, argued that "barring children of LGBT families from membership or baptism in the church strikes at the very heart of Christian teachings about God's special care for children and the essential role of baptism."

"It marks them as expendable," Brooks wrote in a Religion Dispatches essay. "It also ensures that children of LGBT families will have virtually no opportunity for religious education within the LDS tradition during their critical formative years."

It's not that tough, she added, for young people to deal with contradictions between their own lives and church teachings.

Here is what the text actually says:

Children of a Parent Living in a Same-Gender Relationship
A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender
relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may not
receive a name and a blessing.

A natural or adopted child of a parent living in a same-gender
relationship, whether the couple is married or cohabiting, may be
baptized and confirmed, ordained, or recommended for missionary
service only as follows:

A mission president or a stake president may request approval from
the Office of the First Presidency to baptize and confirm, ordain, or
recommend missionary service for a child of a parent who has lived or
is living in a same-gender relationship when he is satisfied by personal
interviews that both of the following requirements are met:

1. The child accepts and is committed to live the teachings and
doctrine of the Church, and specifically disavows the practice of
same-gender cohabitation and marriage.

2. The child is of legal age and does not live with a parent who has
lived or currently lives in a same-gender cohabitation relationship
or marriage.

544946_10152502134308581_4174262899731526698_n.jpg

Two of my LDS friends are bishops, and both have told me this issue is one they wish they did not have.

One is going to ignore it the best he can; the other one is going to the Lord in prayer about it.

One would think if it's important enough to go to the Lord with, the Lord might respond in clear terms. Maybe a memo or something with no ambiguity. Maybe a message carved out on the moon in letters big enough to read from the Earth.

Instead God will rely on unclear interpretations of ancient texts by people with agendas and the fate of billions yet unborn will hang in the balance. What could possibly go wrong?

more at Leaving Mormon church over 'cruel' policy on gays' kids (COMMENTARY) - Religion News Service

My sister’s response echoes the reaction of thousands of faithful Mormons. My mom, who died in 2003, would have been one of them. When I would ask her how she reconciled her faith, which condemned me, and her love for me, she would say, “God gave me you and my testimony. I know my job is to love both. He’ll figure out the rest.”

Today, God, and my beloved mother, weep.

And the push back within continues.

Chelsea Shields: How I'm working for change inside my church | TED Talk | TED.com

"How do we respect someone's religious beliefs, while also holding religion accountable for the damage those beliefs may cause? Chelsea Shields has a bold answer to this question. She was raised in the orthodox Mormon tradition, and she spent the early part of her life watching women be excluded from positions of importance within the LDS Church. Now, this anthropologist, activist and TED Fellow is working to reform her church's institutionalized gender inequality. "Religions can liberate or subjugate, they can empower or exploit, they can comfort or destroy," she says. "What is taught on the Sabbath leaks into our politics, our health policy, violence around the world."

Chelsea Shields: How I'm working for change inside my church | TED Talk | TED.com
·
·
·​
Now, this anthropologist, activist and TED Fellow is working to reform her church's institutionalized gender inequality.

Anyone who understood this religion and believed in it would see how vain and foolish it is to try to change it by making a public spectacle of a protest.

If you are a member of this church, and you have such concerns over the policies and doctrines thereof, then the correct way to address these concerns would be to retire to some place in private, get down on one's knees, and bring the matter up with the only one who has the authority to establish them.

·
·
·​
Now, this anthropologist, activist and TED Fellow is working to reform her church's institutionalized gender inequality.

Anyone who understood this religion and believed in it would see how vain and foolish it is to try to change it by making a public spectacle of a protest.

If you are a member of this church, and you have such concerns over the policies and doctrines thereof, then the correct way to address these concerns would be to retire to some place in private, get down on one's knees, and bring the matter up with the only one who has the authority to establish them.
In this area, the stake executive secretary, several high council members, the first counselor in the stake, and the bishops have all been approached by members with generally the feeling "did they all go senile at once in Salt Lake City, my friends are asking me, how do I talk to my friends, why is the church inserting itself between parents and children?"

Most believe homosexuality is a sin, but that this is not the way to handle the issue.

This policy reminds me of Jehovah Witnesses who are forced to shun family members to remain active members in their church.

This is cult like behavior, not Christian love.

And, bob, in all sincerity I am asking for about the seventh time, what will you do with those children who are baptized members and those boys who hold the priesthood?

Honestly, do you know what is the guidance concerning those situations?

This “policy” has all the trappings of the stupidty of the Blacks and the Priesthood Ban. Similarly, in years to come it will be declared Brigham’s fault.

Or it will be expanded. “The Lord cannot look about sin with the least degree of allowance” – so an amendment to this “policy” to include the children of parents who smoke or drink coffee, or who live with heterosexual unmarried couples, or one or both parents whatever . . . .

We must protect the children.

Forum List

Back