Learn How To Swim........the REAL parenting method

This is how kids learned when I was young.
Doesn't matter what it was, you got thrown in and learned on your own. REAL FAST!
If not, you learned "the hard way", as a result.

I can't even imagine how some people survived childhood long enough to turn to adults, chronologically, at least.

Life was hard. When my brothers got thrown in, they grabbed onto drugs and alcohol and drowned. My sisters and I just trusted that we knew instinctively how to swim. This means accepting that life is hard and there is no such thing as fairness and you do the best you can.

That's kind of how I learned to ride a bike when I was five. A training wheel fell off.
I spent a whole afternoon trying to ride my little bike in the driveway -- meaning, in little circles. Unsuccessfully.

When the neighbor came home from work, he looked at me and smiled and plopped me on a bigger kid's bike in the road -- we had no traffic -- and gave me a shove. I screamed the whole block and a half of the ride and then fell over, but I knew how to ride a bike.

That's kind of how I learned to ride a bike when I was five. A training wheel fell off.

I had training wheels on my bike long enough to get my balance on the bike. Once I could get momentum and peddle on my own, my Uncle took my training wheels off, that same day. Feel down once after that...........never fell off my bike again. Once was enough.

I spent a whole afternoon trying to ride my little bike in the driveway -- meaning, in little circles. Unsuccessfully.

When the neighbor came home from work, he looked at me and smiled and plopped me on a bigger kid's bike in the road -- we had no traffic -- and gave me a shove. I screamed the whole block and a half of the ride and then fell over, but I knew how to ride a bike.
We had no traffic, either - 250 people out in the middle of a cornfield. So I could ride my bike anywhere, with or without training wheels.

That summer I lived down in Chariton, however, was different. My aunt took me to swimming lessons, and I learned very slowly. I'd a ruther that John Wayne threw me in a lake.

That’s pretty much how I learned.
Not me. Mom was an excellent swimmer and taught me in shallow water, and of course I wanted to go out where my bigger brothers were, who had both been taught. I taught by demonstration and training, my own kids. The whole family swims quite well, not ever prone to panic in the water.
Would you train soldiers to do something as basic as firing their rifle, by dumping them into the middle of battle without teaching them basic operation, marksmanship and combat skills? You never paid me to do that, as it does not work.

Growing up we had an above ground pool. My cousins, who lived two towns over, did as well. Cousins who lived further out on Long Island had a built-in pool.

We were always in the water. If we couldn't swim then we were in some sort of "floatie" so we could be in the water. Not being in the water, whether we knew how to swim or not, was a thought which never even entered our minds. The one sport I truly excelled at in high school was swimming, and I spent four years on the varsity team (even as a freshman). My best time in the 50 yard freestyle was 22.96 which, in the late 1970's, was considered pretty fast (pretty much anything under 23 seconds was).

The record now, though, I believe is a mind-numbingly fast 17.66 seconds...

This is how kids learned when I was young.
Doesn't matter what it was, you got thrown in and learned on your own. REAL FAST!
If not, you learned "the hard way", as a result.

I watched that movie just the other day.
I loved it when he told her to go save her kid and she said she couldnt swim either.
He was like ready to grab her and toss her in but she took off running.

I loved it when he told her to go save her kid and she said she couldnt swim either.
I grew up in a tiny country town in tennessee....cant remember a time when I couldnt swim, ride a bike or shoot a shotgun didnt have tv until I was sixteen...aint done shit since

My brother was highly pissed when I taught my niece how to swim when she stayed with the Wife and I when he went on vacation.
His problem was he'd listen to her cry about being scared when she really just needed confidence and support.

Forum List

Back